Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North launches all-new Code Zero Performance Foil Kite

Postby Azzieo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 am

gmb13 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:11 am
Oldman_Dave wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:49 am
"One of the lightest single-strut kites ever designed – engineered using the lightest materials and minimalist design"

WEIGHTS OR GTFO
Hi Everyone.

I only have a 7m production kite here. It currently weighs about 1.8kg (My lines are still attached and there is a bit of sand in the kite in the picture). I think it was 1.75kg when it was new out of the bag.

Code Zero 7m weight.jpeg

--
Gunnar
Just for a reference this is the same weight as a 9m A-Roam, which is a 3 strut wave\foil kite...

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 am

Azzieo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 am
gmb13 wrote:
Oldman_Dave wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:49 am
"One of the lightest single-strut kites ever designed – engineered using the lightest materials and minimalist design"

WEIGHTS OR GTFO
Hi Everyone.

I only have a 7m production kite here. It currently weighs about 1.8kg (My lines are still attached and there is a bit of sand in the kite in the picture). I think it was 1.75kg when it was new out of the bag.

Code Zero 7m weight.jpeg

--
Gunnar
Just for a reference this is the same weight as a 9m A-Roam, which is a 3 strut wave\foil kite...
Just for reference, the Code Zero costs just about half of an A Series Roam and is made from normal matierials and as such is more durable and less complicted to repair in case you damage it.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
airsail (Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:15 am

for what can matter to me seams a good kite, I like didn't have pulley too, also if for the moment I prefer more cross over kites
Is also on the same weights of the Alpha V2 that's among the lightest kites without aluula or wipika

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:21 am

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 am

Just for reference, the Code Zero costs just about half of an A Series Roam and is made from normal matierials and as such is more durable and less complicted to repair in case you damage it.

--
Gunnar
Are they really normal materials?

I was under the impression that lightweight dacron was used (DLE 140 which is the same stuff that Slingshot use on the UFO). Is the lightweight dacron really more durable? Aluula made a big song and dance about the tear resistance in comparison to the 200g dacron so it seems unusual that the lightweight dacron has better tear resistance than the fabric used for strong winds (e.g. the Orbit kite) as surely you'd want your strongest material on that range?

I understand your point though that the marginal gains might not be worth the expense for the average person and that the overall design is more relevant (aspect ratio, how far forwards/back it sits)
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post (total 2):
SENDIT! (Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:06 pm) • Ventum (Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:34 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Azzieo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Belmont Shore
Leo Carillo

Postby Azzieo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:19 am

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 am
Azzieo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:35 am
gmb13 wrote:

Hi Everyone.

Code Zero 7m weight.jpeg

--
Gunnar

--
Gunnar
All the bragging points so far have been about weight and speed etc, which all are well under the A-Roams... Innovation -wise? Really? The light weight Dacron is more durable than Aluula? Do we really know that for a fact? I don't...(Please supply references)

The fact of the matter is that the only real innovation when it comes to light wind and foil kites has been the Aluula, and all stupid marketing like "one of the lightest on the market" is bs...

Prices - totally different subject. Yes, it may turn out that Code Zero is the best "budget" light wind foil kite.. who knows, but let's try to keep it real, until we have some more collective experience around it..

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am

Don't forget though that kite design is all about compromise.

If you really want light weight then you need to look at something without bladders - like the flysurfer peak. Want a bit more performance and the lightweight double skin kites like the Hyperlink 3 come into play. Aluula is an innovative process of materials manufacturing but companies like Best have used cutting edge materials in the past (sadly without success).

What will be interesting is whether the design lends itself to hydrofoiling. Most kite designers claim to use the lighter dacron because it allows a little more twist in the leading edge for responsive steering but interestingly Airush have gone the other way and gone for stiff fabric for the Ultra Team because they can then use a much thinner leading edge and reduce the drag. Those are the two models I'd be keen to see a back to back between because they have the same target but a completely different approach to achieving it.

My personal feeling is that the Roam is a wave kite so whilst exhibiting desirable attributes it shouldn't be in the comparison any more than the Neo D-lab

Azzieo
Rare Poster
Leo Carillo

Postby Azzieo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:10 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am

If you really want light weight then you need to look at something without bladders - like the flysurfer peak. Want a bit more performance and the lightweight double skin kites like the Hyperlink 3 come into play. Aluula is an innovative process of materials manufacturing but companies like Best have used cutting edge materials in the past (sadly without success).

What will be interesting is whether the design lends itself to hydrofoiling. Most kite designers claim to use the lighter dacron because it allows a little more twist in the leading edge for responsive steering but interestingly Airush have gone the other way and gone for stiff fabric for the Ultra Team because they can then use a much thinner leading edge and reduce the drag. Those are the two models I'd be keen to see a back to back between because they have the same target but a completely different approach to achieving it.

My personal feeling is that the Roam is a wave kite so whilst exhibiting desirable attributes it shouldn't be in the comparison any more than the Neo D-lab
All good points. What I was trying to say, I guess..is yes, light wind foil market is opening up, Aluula has a great opportunity to make a dent, North is the Giant in the room so let's keep them both in check, otherwise people consistently get entangled on "brand loyalty programs" which always and only benefit the "brand". And I may be wrong, but I think North is waaaaay bigger than OR, with waaaaay more resources to devote to R&D, but yet the real innovation came from a small BC company... So again - on an open forum like this - let's try to keep it real..

Azzieo
Rare Poster
Leo Carillo

Postby Azzieo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:11 am

nothing2seehere wrote:

All good points. What I was trying to say, I guess..is yes, light wind foil market is opening up, Aluula has a great opportunity to make a dent, North is the Giant in the room so let's keep them both in check, otherwise people consistently get entangled on "brand loyalty programs" which always and only benefit the "brand". And I may be wrong, but I think North is waaaaay bigger than OR, with waaaaay more resources to devote to R&D, but yet the real innovation came from a small BC company... So again - on an open forum like this - let's try to keep it real..

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:47 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
The roam has actually printed freeride foil/surf right on the kite.
So discounting it as a wave kite rather then a foil kite doesn't really reflect reality IMHO.
I would also wager that over 90% of these kites are sold to people who primarily foil with them rather then people on a surf board.

The only valid question if it can be compared is due to the costs.
But do note that the Roam kite seem to hold up really well in a huge wind range.
If you start to compare 2 aluula kites vs 3 one strut dacron kites the monetary difference is not that big anymore...

IDAVIS
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cesantes
Aguieira
Sabon
Lingunde
Santa Cristina
(Galicia, north from Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Taiba (BR)
Cauipe (BR)
Aguieira (ESP)
Sabon (ESP)
Cesantes (ESP)
Pobra Caramiñal (ESP)
Lingunde (ESP)
Barraña (ESP)
Razo (ESP)
Style: Freestyle / kite Foil / Big Air
Gear: Airush Razor 9m & 11m v9,13m v10 (freestyle)
Airush Livewire Team v8 140x42
Airush Ultra Team 12m / Airush One 9m v2 (Foil)
Slingshot Phantasm PFH 581
North Sonar CF95 / MA 850 v2
North Mini Scoop 2024
North Orbit PRO 2024 9m (Big Air)
North Atmos Carbon 2024 138x41

Postby IDAVIS » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:24 pm
Ufo v2 9m is 1.9 kg, so 200 gr difference is huge!
The Airush ultra team in 9m is 1.98kg

Same weight thank UFO but one more strut

Return to “Kitesurfing”