Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do kites stay at the same pressure after hours?

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Do kites stay at the same pressure after hours?

Postby Havre » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:58 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:56 pm
My last two kites were leaking.
But still rideable up to 5 hours, so no problem.
This is quite normal it seems.

Same with one of my old kites.

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:33 pm

After a kite gets rolled in the surf, it always feels softer. Could it be the air compressing during a session?

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:48 pm

I have had inflatable kites that developed tiny pin-holes in the leading-edge bladder.

I think it was mostly from self-landing on a beach littered with fish bones after a red-tide event.

But, the kites worked well-enough, and it was amazing to realize how many tiny holes there were, once the problem got so bad that I actually decided to remove the bladder and chase down the culprit.

I have also had the experience where one of my smaller inflatable kites seemed to be going flat, but the actual problem was the pressure drop from a strong cold front moving in.

If the bladder integrity is perfect, it should hold air practically forever.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:49 am

Before one pump one had to inflate each strut separately. This was quite a chore, especially with 7 strut kites being the norm. Common time saving trick was to not deflate struts at all, therefore, trading the kite setup time for the extra space taken by the kite stored with inflated struts.

In my experience, though, struts had never held the full pressure for long. While some struts were able to survive a week or two, there was always one demanding reinflation before each session.

P.S. This was also the times when bladders were quite thick, so that contemporary new lightweight ones might be even worse.
These users thanked the author tegirinenashi for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:08 am

bjw wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:33 pm
After a kite gets rolled in the surf, it always feels softer. Could it be the air compressing during a session?
Air escapes out through the connectors. When it gets rolled in the surf there's so much pressure that the air just squirts out and often you'll even pop open a one pump connector.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:24 am

I have repaired many kites. After each bladder repair we would always leave the kite pumped up overnight. If it wasn’t firm the next day we looked for more leaks.
Bladder repair isn’t difficult. There are instructions on the internet. Be sure to pump your kite up before you remove the bladder and use a spray of soapy water to find the leaking area. I always found the leak area.. even slow leaks.
As mentioned above it is often the inflate valve.
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:53 am) • SENDIT! (Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:20 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 am

bjw wrote:
Exactly, when washed out in the surf they always loose pressure , dont know how. Or is just the materials that streched?

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 am

edt wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:08 am
bjw wrote:

Air escapes out through the connectors. When it gets rolled in the surf there's so much pressure that the air just squirts out and often you'll even pop open a one pump connector.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:45 am

Strong changes in temperature or ambient pressure might affect the pressure in your inflatable kite, but if the integrity of the bladder(s) is good, it's nothing that a few pumps won't solve.

Where is Pump Me Up, at a time like this? 🤪

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:12 am

Temperature changes when a cold front comes through will definitely soften a kite. Also, if the water temperature is significantly lower than the air temperature, a wet kite will lose some pressure. Remember Boyle's law P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2. If Temperature drops and V1=V2, then P2 drops in proportion to the Temperature drop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”