Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Do kites stay at the same pressure after hours?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Do kites stay at the same pressure after hours?

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:14 am

Hi Leon the strong temp changes happening in NL atm are quite significant too. A difference of over 10 degrees might affect it somewhat. Also connectors are indeed often the main cause. Some sand or not tightly enough screwed back valves cause these tiny leaks too...wouldnt be too worried :D
These users thanked the author Kitemenn for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:21 pm

Every new kite I've bought in the last 20 years I setup in my basement, pump to spec and leave overnight before ever flying them. I do this to make sure they are 100% right from the factory and don't need a repair/replacement. I've seen a few guys blow up a brand new kite and have an issue right out of the box. That's a suboptimal time to try and deal with it....
I've never had one not hold air completely.

I would be pretty pissed if I had a couple 2021 kites that weren't holding air already. Especially for what these glorified pool toys cost these days...
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:35 pm)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:35 pm

POACHER wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:21 pm
Every new kite I've bought in the last 20 years I setup in my basement, pump to spec and leave overnight before ever flying them. I do this to make sure they are 100% right from the factory and don't need a repair/replacement. I've seen a few guys blow up a brand new kite and have an issue right out of the box. That's a suboptimal time to try and deal with it....
I've never had one not hold air completely.

I would be pretty pissed if I had a couple 2021 kites that weren't holding air already. Especially for what these glorified pool toys cost these days...
I have been doing the same for years it only happened once. Years ago a brand RRD Obsession kite had a defective strut bladder. They did send me a free bladder but it took a lot of back and forth communication.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:03 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:12 am
Temperature changes when a cold front comes through will definitely soften a kite. Also, if the water temperature is significantly lower than the air temperature, a wet kite will lose some pressure. Remember Boyle's law P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2. If Temperature drops and V1=V2, then P2 drops in proportion to the Temperature drop.

Very true, also if it starts to rain, it will often cool the kite so it gets soft.

Even when it stops raining, the huge temperature drop because water evaporates, will soften.
Same as if kite drop even gently on the water so wet (in sunny conditions), and is relaunched - the water evaporation temperature drop now can be massive, giving a softer kite.

BUT, I have hardly never seen a kite getting "hard" again later, as it should :roll:

Maybe I havent waited sufficiently long for it to dry and heat up fully :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 pm) • Archer77 (Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:10 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”