Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Fuerteventura for intermediate kiter

Postby Soli » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:42 pm

Hi all,
I will be in Fuerte between August 27th and Sep. 1st.
After swyping through tons of your interesting posts on Fuerteventura, I'm still doubting whether for an intermediate kiter like myself, there are additional kitable spots on the island other than Flag Beach (I am aware of the rocks there and the need to kite with high tide).
I know the South has far more wind and gusts, and that the lagoon at Sotavento is great. BUT between August 28th and September 1st unfortunately it won't be full, according to the info I found.
I'm not a big fan of waves (subtle 1m are fine), I prefer constant and not so gusty winds. Been kiting in moderately stable winds of max 23 knots.

So here are my doubts: 🙏

Is there any rescue service in Flag Beach? I haven't found any. Is it needed?
Can you kite with North winds in Flag Beach, or only side-on and NE?
It would be great to kite in several spots - any insights, tips, warnings and recommendations will be greatly appreciated 👍
For the record, I weigh 60kgs, I own a 12m and 8m and a 135 twintip board.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Re: Fuerteventura for intermediate kiter

Postby Janus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 pm

Yes there is rescue service on flagbeach, pay before.
Gunnar can be more precise but with wind from N to E flagbeach and from N to W Cotillo (great spot)
You’ll be fine at low tide at flagbeach it is not a prob, go out and in more to the rental center.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
Soli (Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:48 am

Hi,

Rescue Service is not availiable at Flag Beach at the moment as the goverment has kicked all the businesses off the beach. The guys from the Flag Beach center are still there (tent on the beach), but only offer Rescue in a real emergency and have to call their boat from the Harbour or off one of their Kite or Wing Courses.

As an Intermediate Kiter you will be fine with the conditions in the time you are coming, if there is wind. Tipically there are no waves this time of year.

Sotavento is flat out on the ocean. The wind is cross off, but they do have a working rescue cover. Another option is Matas Bay (just north of Sotavento). It is totally flat there, but they do also offer a great rescue service and in my opinion the nicest center on the Island for kiter. Suse and Victor really treat their customers well and you are safe there, even with the offshore winds.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post (total 4):
CaptainKook (Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:57 am) • Janus (Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:05 am) • Soli (Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:40 pm) • nothing2seehere (Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:35 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

Mrfishy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 60
Gear: Anything
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mrfishy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 pm

Are they still playing that game : I remember flag in the 80’s with Ben Thomas . Most years it would be permit issues and delays for the centre . How he ever put up with it I have no clue

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:40 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:48 am
Hi,

Rescue Service is not availiable at Flag Beach at the moment as the goverment has kicked all the businesses off the beach. The guys from the Flag Beach center are still there (tent on the beach), but only offer Rescue in a real emergency and have to call their boat from the Harbour or off one of their Kite or Wing Courses.

As an Intermediate Kiter you will be fine with the conditions in the time you are coming, if there is wind. Tipically there are no waves this time of year.

Sotavento is flat out on the ocean. The wind is cross off, but they do have a working rescue cover. Another option is Matas Bay (just north of Sotavento). It is totally flat there, but they do also offer a great rescue service and in my opinion the nicest center on the Island for kiter. Suse and Victor really treat their customers well and you are safe there, even with the offshore winds.

--
Gunnar
This is extremely useful information, many thanks!

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:41 pm

Janus wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 pm
Yes there is rescue service on flagbeach, pay before.
Gunnar can be more precise but with wind from N to E flagbeach and from N to W Cotillo (great spot)
You’ll be fine at low tide at flagbeach it is not a prob, go out and in more to the rental center.
Thank you for this information!

Return to “Kitesurfing”