Re: 2023 Naish Pivot S27

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:44 am

Mine came in as well....can't wait.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:14 am

[/quote]

Hey Dirk - Have you had a chance to ride the new Pivots? If so, how are you liking them? Any notable differences from the s26 or s25 models? Thanks.
[/quote]

I wrote about it two posts above your post. The weekend looks windy, so I might get more impressions.

Luffe
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 180lbs
Gear: Naish kites
F-one board
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Luffe » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:53 pm

I was wondering if there are more reports from you guys on the 12m Pivot s27?

I'm getting tired of the downwind pull on my 2017 12m Pivot, making it a chore to ride. But I'm still a little hesitaint at getting a new Pivot s27 12m as I'm not happy with the 2017 model. I would feel so stupid if there is a similar feeling on the S27. Maybe I should look at something like an Ozone Enduro instead?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:07 pm

Luffe wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:53 pm
I was wondering if there are more reports from you guys on the 12m Pivot s27?

I'm getting tired of the downwind pull on my 2017 12m Pivot, making it a chore to ride. But I'm still a little hesitaint at getting a new Pivot s27 12m as I'm not happy with the 2017 model. I would feel so stupid if there is a similar feeling on the S27. Maybe I should look at something like an Ozone Enduro instead?
I ended up getting the Phoenix 12 and then 10 and 8 pivot. I had the 12 pivot in S26 and liked it but was looking for the high AR quality for S27. On the S26 I did not feel a lot of downwind pull, but it is a bigger kite then I am usually riding. I do think bigger kites pull differently than smaller kites...this is especially true, I believe, since I weigh more than the average kiter.
What type of riding do you do on the 12?

TBH and it's been a few years since I tried the enduro but that is one of the only modern kites I really disliked. I am not trying to talk shit about a different kite but that one I didn't like a lot of it was because of its downwind pull and lack of jumping ability.

Luffe
Rare Poster
F-one board

Postby Luffe » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:18 pm

I wan't to freeride basically. Ride on my twintip, jump, have fun and not have to work as hard as I do now on my 12m pivot 2017 to get back upwind. A playful, inutitive and easy riding kite that jumps good and is not a chore to ride upwind is basically what I want. A kite that I'm just happy with and don't want to replace in the next couple of years.

I tried a 12m Slingshot Machine, and it was so easy to get upwind. But it was super slow turning, so it is not for me. I think the Phoenix is in the same category of high aspect kite.

Nice to know about the Enduro. Those characteristics are exactly what I don't want.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:50 pm

Luffe wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:18 pm

I tried a 12m Slingshot Machine, and it was so easy to get upwind. But it was super slow turning, so it is not for me. I think the Phoenix is in the same category of high aspect kite.

Nice to know about the Enduro. Those characteristics are exactly what I don't want.
Yeah the high AR are usually slower. One thing that I am looking for in the high AR is the effortlessness in trying new tricks..especially for the low floaty and loopy tricks. I have not had a chance to take the Phoenix out yet. I guess for me I ride TTs so rarely it will be more a case of relearning my old tricks tho...
Would it be an idea to consider the 11? In pivots it has been a truly different animal in terms of speed and lightness. Depending on your weight, skill and general wind you might not lose a ton of low end...though you will lose some.

On the Enduro I want to hedge that there are people who like it. I just didn't. I rode the kite maybe 5-8 times on TT and surfboard and was mainly annoyed with it...but it was a few years ago.

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9

Postby Kitedicted » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Luffe wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:18 pm
I wan't to freeride basically. Ride on my twintip, jump, have fun and not have to work as hard as I do now on my 12m pivot 2017 to get back upwind. A playful, inutitive and easy riding kite that jumps good and is not a chore to ride upwind is basically what I want. A kite that I'm just happy with and don't want to replace in the next couple of years.

Best bet is to demo. My S26 12 feels more nimble and less downward pull vs my ex 11m 2020. I am pretty happy

Luffe
Rare Poster
F-one board

Postby Luffe » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:53 pm

tautologies wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:50 pm

Yeah the high AR are usually slower. One thing that I am looking for in the high AR is the effortlessness in trying new tricks..especially for the low floaty and loopy tricks. I have not had a chance to take the Phoenix out yet. I guess for me I ride TTs so rarely it will be more a case of relearning my old tricks tho...
Would it be an idea to consider the 11? In pivots it has been a truly different animal in terms of speed and lightness. Depending on your weight, skill and general wind you might not lose a ton of low end...though you will lose some.

On the Enduro I want to hedge that there are people who like it. I just didn't. I rode the kite maybe 5-8 times on TT and surfboard and was mainly annoyed with it...but it was a few years ago.
The thing is, it is often like 6,5 - 7 m/s at my local spots, so i barely get going with a 12m and a big board. I like to have that option. If it was more windy on a regular, an 11m would be Ideal. I think a 13m would be more optimal for my local spot than an 11m (unfortunately). 12/10/8 would be a nice quiver for me I think, as my 9m often is a little small when the wind picks up over 12m territory, and my 7m barely see any use.

As for demoing, there is a shop that has a 10m demo Pivot, but not a 12m. Would be ideal to get to try the 12m. Maybe I should send him another text and ask if he got a 12m demo now.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:44 am

Luffe wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:53 pm

The thing is, it is often like 6,5 - 7 m/s at my local spots, so i barely get going with a 12m and a big board. I like to have that option. If it was more windy on a regular, an 11m would be Ideal. I think a 13m would be more optimal for my local spot than an 11m (unfortunately). 12/10/8 would be a nice quiver for me I think, as my 9m often is a little small when the wind picks up over 12m territory, and my 7m barely see any use.

As for demoing, there is a shop that has a 10m demo Pivot, but not a 12m. Would be ideal to get to try the 12m. Maybe I should send him another text and ask if he got a 12m demo now.
Yeah nice. I do tend to avoid demoing unless the conditions are decent...when it is a desperation-demo in too light wind it is hard to get a decent impression.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:26 am

S26/S27 Pivots in 12 and 14m have a different shape than previous years. My combo is always 8/11, but I have ridden a friends S26 12m a couple of times, apparently yesterday in gusty conditions here in Tarifa.

Compared to the 11m it looks a bit more open with a slightly higher AR. I really like it, there is no downwind pull, not too heavy on the bar, going upwind is no issue. Turning speed is also good.

With that new bridle on the S27 it should be even better. I have the 11/8 S27 now, and the improvement is noticeable.

Return to “Kitesurfing”