Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Apple Watch ultra

Forum for kitesurfers
elmarco
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Apple Watch ultra

Postby elmarco » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:26 am

I had a Garmin for years and recently switched to Apple Watch right before the ultra came out. oops!
battery life is for sure a pain when kiting. It'll last, 3 hours maybe? In cold water it's reduced dramatically! By cold I mean water & air <10C
get one of the full rubber bands that slip on, it doesn't go anywhere.
Even with the Garmin blowing the Apple Watch out of the water with battery life, I'm sticking with apple.
I got skunked once, sailboat picked me up, I called a friend from my watch to pick me up at the yacht club and he was there as I came in, pretty perfect.
I'll prob wait it out another year before upgrading to ultra.
If I was buying now, ultra without a doubt.
These users thanked the author elmarco for the post:
jafe (Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:07 am

. fernmanus wrote: ↑Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:34 pm
I have had an Apple Ultra since the end of September. I bought the water edition. I find the band to be comfortable and secure. I had a lot of issues with battery life with the Apple Watch 7. I listen to music and run the Woo app on my watch while kiting. My watch battery would often die before the end of the day. I have had no problems with the Ultra. I am enjoying the larger screen on the Ultra and the glass is definitely more durable. No scratches so far.

I had a Garmin for a while, but I ended up returning it because it was far less intuitive to use and the app integration with the iPhone was not nearly as good.
What headphones do you use when kiting?
AfterShokz by Aeropex - they are awesome because they use bone conduction rather than putting buds in your ears.

BTW, Ultra brings up the diver watch interface when the watch is submerged. Even works in a tub.

alunj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom

Postby alunj » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:25 pm

I changed from a 4 to ultra . So far so good .
Bigger screen , supposed to be even more waterproof than my 4 ( never had an issues ). Cell works on water . Ocean band feels super secure . More apps to try for jumps etx ; so far they all suck :) keep going back to water speed and ignore the fantasies from Surfr and others re jump height and time . Much much better battery life than my 4
Dislike
They changed the unlock from Spain crown to push and hold
I find as I wear mine with crown up arm sometimes the wetsuit pushed on the crown and unlocked

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Anybody finding that sand gets into the scroll wheel? So far it always seems to work it’s way out, but it happens a lot and makes me nervous for the long term.

I’m using workoutdoors for water sports. It’s annoying that the apple app only incorporates gps for some activity types. They should allow the user to configure this aspect.

I’ve got a kite face on the watch that shows tides, wind forecast, sunset time and has a workoutdoors shortcut as well.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:59 pm

StellaBlu wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:13 pm
Anybody finding that sand gets into the scroll wheel? So far it always seems to work it’s way out, but it happens a lot and makes me nervous for the long term.

I’m using workoutdoors for water sports. It’s annoying that the apple app only incorporates gps for some activity types. They should allow the user to configure this aspect.

I’ve got a kite face on the watch that shows tides, wind forecast, sunset time and has a workoutdoors shortcut as well.
You can try Waterspeed, it is a very good app for many different water sports.only drawback. Very happy with it on my Apple Watch 3, I record all my sessions with it since more than 2 years now ( more than 7000 km total, 298 days on water).
I’m really close to hit the trigger and get me an Ultra…the biggest benefit I see will be first the battery life, then the toughness.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:23 pm

Pushing the side button to unlock instead of spinning the crown is a software update, happens on the old watches too now. Not unique to Ultra.

Getting sand under the crown does not seem to cause long term ill effect, my Aluminum series 6 at least is going strong despite the occasional sand. I do rinse it out under running water though, I do not let the sand sit and grind indefinitely.

Ultra seems nice, but hella expensive given how well the “cheap” standard aluminum body watches handle years of kiting.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:08 pm

Sun wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:23 pm
Ultra seems nice, but hella expensive given how well the “cheap” standard aluminum body watches handle years of kiting.
That’s my thinking too. I could make 3 years with a Serie 3, will I be able to get 10 years with an Ultra? Although, presumably, the hardware can make it, how about the later to come “killing update”?
I would be very disappointed not to be able to use my expensive watch anymore, because of manufacturer strategy?

Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _if it Flys or Floats
Brand Affiliation: _mars bars

Postby Jamesconn300 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:25 am

First time using any apple watch. Have experienced AMAZING battery performance in the past few months with the ULTRA when you put the watch in "Low Power Mode" and "Theatre Mode". But have not gone kiting with it in these modes or have any app yet to track data, and almost always off cellular because the phone is nearby. But very impressed with the battery in these modes when on land.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 pm

Yesterday I had first session with Apple Watch 7 and Surfr, went in with 90% battery, out after 2hrs with 60% battery. Very happy with it.
Small jumps not registered. Had it under the wetsuits, not sure if it affect the reading but didn't want to take a risk since I do not have a proper sport band yet.
Anyone can recommend a decent and reliable sport band?
These users thanked the author peppedurso for the post:
SENDIT! (Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:53 pm

Yes, interested to hear band recommendations!

Return to “Kitesurfing”