Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lake Effect

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Lake Effect

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:07 pm

It's that time of year when the Great Lakes turn into snow machines. The water in the lakes in still relatively warm. When cold air and strong winds blow across the water they suck up high amount of moisture and drop it as snow over the colder land mass. The Buffalo, NY area is a frequent target for these big dumps. This is what it looks like from a drone. To the right is the Canadian shoreline - clear skies & little to no snow. To the left is Buffalo. The clouds are covering the area for several days dropping up to 6 feet (180 cm) of snow in a narrow band.

These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post (total 3):
edt (Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:54 pm) • grigorib (Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:29 am) • Kamikuza (Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:49 am)
Rating: 9.09%

backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best

Re: Lake Effect

Postby backcountry » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:09 pm

Way cool!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:03 pm

Stumbled on a YouTube channel called Maritime Horrors that had a few episodes on bad things happening on the Great Lakes... pretty hard for me to comprehend the scale of those suckers, even when they spell it out in non-Freedom Units.

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:59 pm

My God… :o
No matter how rich and civilized the great lakes area is, I could not survive the winter…whithout becoming an alchoolic… :lol:
15 degrees Celcius is cold at 60….
The only way to live in a place like this…is to do what ducks do…flock to somewhere hotter in winter…

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:15 pm

This is how the genesis of the monster snowstorm looked like yesterday 19th November from my plane between IND and JFK, flying right over Cleveland around 1PM. The cold wind is blowing from the shore towards the warmer Erie Lake, the thick clouds at the horizon on the right are dumping snow on Buffalo.
Attachments
IMG_0300.jpg
These users thanked the author lezo for the post:
IWantToFly (Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:49 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:59 pm
My God… :o
No matter how rich and civilized the great lakes area is, I could not survive the winter…whithout becoming an alchoolic… :lol:
15 degrees Celcius is cold at 60….
The only way to live in a place like this…is to do what ducks do…flock to somewhere hotter in winter…

15 degree Celcius, cold for what?

I sometimes ride in shorts only when 15 degree, most often shorty though, and now and then a short arm summersuit if no sun.
Yes, for many it would feel cold in shorts, but in a full wetsuit REALLY warm :naughty:

So if you never use a full wetsuit but something less, I agree, 15 degree is cold for most surfers.

Eventhough I can not see any connection to age whatsoever, maybe the other way around, your body gets finetuned with age, muscle mass does not decrease if you ride often, and you get better and better at riding without getting cold both technique and body adaption :rollgrin:

Having said that, winter is not fun agree, but on the other hand, just getting out now and then is better than nothing, and keeps you hungrier for the next "warm" season without boots, warm suits, or other undesired stuff needed when winter.

So having a less active period can motivate you even more, than if the same and same all year :D

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”