bramber3018
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Altona, VIC, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Altona, VIC, Australia
Style: All
Gear: 2012 Ozone C4 13m, 11m, 9m, 7m
Shinn Monk 132
Firewire Alternator 6'4"
Brand Affiliation: None. Save and buy everything...
Has thanked: 0

North Atmos for light wind board?

Postby bramber3018 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:24 pm

Given the attributes for the North Atmos kiteboard, or similar big air kiteboards (good upwind, lower rocker, fast, stiff, etc.), would these boards also make good light wind boards, particularly in the bigger sizes? Or am I missing something here?

galzohar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Old school and kiteloops
Gear: Duotone Rebel 13m 2023
North Orbit 9m 2023
North Atmos Carbon 138x41
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Atmos for light wind board?

Postby galzohar » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:08 pm

How light? 14+ knots with a big enough kite you can use a board appropriate for your weight.
Below that, every knot makes a big difference. A board that is just somewhat bigger and not huge nor designed for light wind will only go so far. Even the huge lightwind door boards have their limits. So again, it really depends on how low you want to get.
Besides, below 15 knots a twintip is not fun in my opinion, and I don't even own a surfboard/foil. But if I would have time for kiting also on <15 knot days I'd be getting a hydrofoil and not a huge board.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:22 pm

Buy a board for your weight and use it in all conditions you can with your kite range. If you have to ride in the lightest of conditions then foil. Plenty of cheap used foil set ups out there now and even new old models on big sales.

But yes it will work for lighter wind. Will not work as well as a door unless your a tiny person under 120lbs.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
galzohar (Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:05 pm

If you want a big air TT to work good in low wind, then you need to have an appropriate powerful, light wind kite at least. If the biggest you own is a 13m2, don’t expect to have an efficient low wind combo.
Typically, such boards can handle lots of power, so you could for example use a 17m2, from 10 to 15 knots (depending on your weight.
My opinion is different from the ones above. I have a lot of fun in sub 15 knots wind, but with a efficient kite, and a standard TT. I won’t break any height record, but it is largely enough to practice many kinds of jumps, fly upwind. What it’s not good at, is: surfing, kiteloops.
Hydrofoil: this is the option you get to be to ride in low wind using smaller (light!) kites. Are you ready for the cons? I’m not anymore, I gave up some years ago

Return to “Kitesurfing”