Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Old North bar (2012) tuning questions

Postby rtz » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:21 pm

1) Do I want the bar contacting the chicken loop?

2) The back or steering lines are on the first or last knot.

3) Where should the placement of the "depower" cleat be? I saw something in a manual about it being even with the leader line ends?

What was changed or upgraded in the rigging in the current version?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Old North bar(2012) tuning questions

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:10 pm

1. Don't know what you mean

2. Depends on your trim, can't be said in general. Launchbthr kite in lighter wind and see how the trim is

3. Looks all good to me. I use the same bar.

jjm
Medium Poster

Re: Old North bar (2012) tuning questions

Postby jjm » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:20 pm

rtz wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:21 pm
1) Do I want the bar contacting the chicken loop?
Yes unless you intentionally want to oversheet the kite.
2) The back or steering lines are on the first or last knot.
If you move it up a knot or two you should be able to even out the bar (so that it reaches the chicken loop, tuned properly)
3) Where should the placement of the "depower" cleat be? I saw something in a manual about it being even with the leader line ends?
You can adjust this, wherever feels comfortable and provides you enough throw.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Old North bar (2012) tuning questions

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:29 pm

For normal set up: The even leaders, means that the front and rear leaders are the same lengths (trim all out). That would mean that you need to use flying lines which are all the same length, which is normalish.

Bar line check tensioning is easier if chickenloop is just off the bar by about 20mm. This is equivalent to 20mm trim in or 20mm longer or shorter pig depending on whether you adjust front or rear kite pig.

Once you have your bar set up to datum you will probably have to tune your kite pigs.

If you were to use the bar as in the photo with a kite tuned to the normal bar datum you will probably choke it or backstall if you sheet all in, or you may just need to use a lot of trim in, even in the kites lower wind range.

If your kites are flying correctly with the bar as is, somebody has adjusted the kites pigs to suite this bar!!! Having said that, the bar is not wildly out, eg trim in the length that the chickenloop is off the bar and you would be on normal trim so to speak.

PS. Set the cleat for the amount of bar throw you want. Simplistically, cleat low for short arms or high for long arms. Kite pigtail adjustment could be just a case of using a different knot. All above imho and assuming the kite end of the flying lines have been anchored correctly.

Return to “Kitesurfing”