Ozone Edge V8 10m
Ozone Enduro V3 12m
Ozone Zephyr V6 17m

Airush Switch 145x44
Cabrinha Xcaliber 138x42
Brand Affiliation: None

New boards

Postby ham-er » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:08 am

Hello everybody, I'm thinking of getting a new board. There seems to be quite a few deals around at the moment, new or previous year's models.
Got 2 questions:
1. Has anything radical or revolutionary happened in twintip design recently or are new boards are just tiny tweaks on previous model and different colours or maybe a gram lighter?
2. Are lighter versions (sls, carbon etc) worth the extra investment? I know a lot of sponsored riders use them, but they're at the top level and getting it for free anyway.

Any recommendations welcome.

I'm generally after do it all freeride board if there is such thing, to progress on to some jumps, simple tricks and really enjoy carving turns atm.
Although I like Ozone, not particularly locked on any brand, maybe slight dislike of duotone, but will consider anything.
Thanks

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9

Re: New boards

Postby Kitedicted » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 pm

Probably nothing revolutionary but a 2022 board is probably better than a 2012. Can't say for sure carbon is better, it depends on the board design. F.ex. I tried atmos carbon briefly and did not like it at all, I do myself have a Naish drive which is also a carbon board but feels way better to me personally

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:45 pm

I really like the boards by Crazyfly with the channels for edging and razor fins you can feel bend on sharp turns. Also, you can call the company direct and they are really helpful on the phone.

ham-er
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 95kg
Gear: Ozone Enduro V1 6m
Ozone Catalyst 2012 8m
Ozone Edge V8 10m
Ozone Enduro V3 12m
Ozone Zephyr V6 17m

Airush Switch 145x44
Cabrinha Xcaliber 138x42

Postby ham-er » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:20 am

Kitedicted wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:27 pm
Probably nothing revolutionary but a 2022 board is probably better than a 2012
That's why I'm looking at a new one, my current board was bought second hand and don't even know how old is it

ham-er
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 95kg
Gear: Ozone Enduro V1 6m
Ozone Catalyst 2012 8m
Ozone Edge V8 10m
Ozone Enduro V3 12m
Ozone Zephyr V6 17m

Airush Switch 145x44
Cabrinha Xcaliber 138x42

Postby ham-er » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:23 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:45 pm
I really like the boards by Crazyfly with the channels for edging and razor fins you can feel bend on sharp turns. Also, you can call the company direct and they are really helpful on the phone.
Thanks for that, I'll check them out.
All boards I tried had no channels whatsoever, just flat bottom

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:31 am

Shinn twintips are at another level. Jus' sayin'.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:45 am

I think that as with kites, new boards have a wider range of use than those 10 years ago. (e.g. many freestyle boards will also free ride much better than earlier boards). I put this down to better control of flex within boards across the whole of the board so you can have comfort in a stiff board without having needing quite such a big rocker - which in turn helps with speed and how easy it is to go upwind.

At the end of the day its all a balance of properties. Its not quite as simple as boards with channels are better - because channels add drag which means the board will be less efficient.

I've heard good reports about the Ozone Code - which I mention as you like Ozone products. Shinn and Lieuwe also have good reputations and are board builders first and foremost.

If you want an expert opinion - try sending a PM to @Decay. He has some history in custom kite boards but should be able to tell you the difference between your 2012 Airush board and the current range. He's a busy guy but you've nothing to lose with a polite message if you don't have time pressures to purchase.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:32 am

Most of the companies have some nice board I think it's down to more details about type of riding, how choppy is water at your local spot. Another thing to have in mind is that many companies make board for other brands in their factory, just look at Shinn Slicer board and Flysurfer Trip and Duotone Voyage Split they all made by Shinn. That can make you think that board in each brand are not so different if they made by same people?
Shinn has some very good board since they manufacture these for other main brands too. I'm not a fan of their graphic but maybe it's matter of taste.
If you are into traveling at lot by plane consider Split board to save money on extra large luggage.
I have two board one regular and one split.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:20 am

There are multiple things to optimize for.
Eg the best performance board is extremely stiff but can be horrible to ride in chop and landings will be hard on the knees.
Especially the premium carbon boards tend to be stiffer. Depending on your own weight, spot conditions and personal preference you could love or hate a board.

My recommendation would be to ride as many boards a possible on your local spot before buying one. Make some friends on your beach and ask to swap boards for a couple of minutes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”