SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soma Bay December - what time expect

Postby SolarSet » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:00 pm

Most of places are hit and miss but with Egypt if you miss there isn’t much good alternatives to do something else, is kiting only allowed in Marsa Alam only allowed in designated kite spots? Looking at the maps there aren’t that many.
We want to travel late March early April and I thought that it should be warmer than going to Soma Bay/Safaga

joop
Medium Poster

Postby joop » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:12 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:00 pm
Most of places are hit and miss but with Egypt if you miss there isn’t much good alternatives to do something else, is kiting only allowed in Marsa Alam only allowed in designated kite spots? Looking at the maps there aren’t that many.
We want to travel late March early April and I thought that it should be warmer than going to Soma Bay/Safaga
Marsa Alam is GREAT for snorkeling or diving. So perfect no wind altenative.

Depends what you are used to, but there is no cold season in Marsa. Jan and feb maybe little less warm but I still surf with 2mm suit with long arms/ short legs and am comfy.

There are 2 hotels you can kite. First is Equinox, second is nearer to the airport (dont know the name).

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:31 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:43 am
Did you kitesurf in Marsa Alam? Can you please confirm what month did you go to Marsa Alam?
This was back in April of 2004. I was there to dive at the time, I'm not sure there was any kiting that far south back then.
I did my kiting in Dahab and Ras Sudr on that trip.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SolarSet » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:36 am

Hello Team,

I'm concidering going to Soma bay with my family in February this year meaning very soon, do you know what air temperature I can expect? I'm going to two toddlers 4 & 6 years old and they need at least 24degreeC to enjoy pool and sea. There is a Surf motion station for wind but it doesn't say temperature. Do you know of any live reading of temperature? Windguru shows temperature for now 20-22degC that is a bit too low.

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:03 pm

I don't rate Soma now!!! they have built up along the shore blocking the wind. Also there is way more to do in El Gouna.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SolarSet » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:20 pm

ARK wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:03 pm
I don't rate Soma now!!! they have built up along the shore blocking the wind. Also there is way more to do in El Gouna.
Where did they build this wall? In Surfmotion spot that I'm planning to use it shows nice wind reading almost everyday. I'm mostly concern about air temperature for my kids and with them they are not interesting to do anything else than beach, pool slides and being fed

https://surfmotion.com/?page_id=239041&lang=en

Return to “Kitesurfing”