Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind Kites - Comparison between Juice Dlab vs Juice vs Core XR7 LW vs Ozone Zephyr

Forum for kitesurfers
Silfio
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Talamone - Tuscany (Italy)
Trasimeno Lake - Italy
Gear: 12m Evo SLS 2022
10m Rebel Sls 2023
8m Core XR7
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Light wind Kites - Comparison between Juice Dlab vs Juice vs Core XR7 LW vs Ozone Zephyr

Postby Silfio » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:32 pm

Thank you guys, the proplem of my home spot for hydrofoiling is that the surface of the water is covered in algae in sometimes during the year, especially during
the summerseason, therefore is not the best spot for hydrofoil learning.
Let's say I am oriented to Juice Dlab - 15m and I promise I will try to learn hydrofoiling somewhere else and come back to my home spot with hydrofoiling equipment as well :thumb:

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Re: Light wind Kites - Comparison between Juice Dlab vs Juice vs Core XR7 LW vs Ozone Zephyr

Postby Fatso » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:51 pm

Silfio wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:32 pm
Thank you guys, the proplem of my home spot for hydrofoiling is that the surface of the water is covered in algae in sometimes during the year, especially during
Let's say I am oriented to Juice Dlab - 15m and I promise I will try to learn hydrofoiling somewhere else and come back to my home spot with hydrofoiling equipment as well :thumb:
Fair enough on the foil side of things with all that algae, but be under no illusion, if it's that bad, a bigger kite won't help you much algae greatly reduces what can be achieved on a TT and won't go near it's lower range whatsoever. Algae is a bonner killer.
These users thanked the author Fatso for the post:
Silfio (Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:54 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:57 pm

Not sure down to 10, but I can go around 15 knots with my 13m Edge. So at 12 I wouldn’t be surprised if you can have some decent fun with a 15m juice. At 14–15 it should be quite good I would imagine.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Silfio (Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:07 pm)

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:36 pm

Fatso wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:51 pm
Silfio wrote:
Fair enough on the foil side of things with all that algae, but be under no illusion, if it's that bad, a bigger kite won't help you much algae greatly reduces what can be achieved on a TT and won't go near it's lower range whatsoever. Algae is a bonner killer.
Not sure what kind of algae you’re talking about, but it has never been a problem in my case, with a TT.
A TT is only skimming on the surface, with small inclined fins, there is not much algae can do to prevent it.
These users thanked the author Flyingseb for the post:
Silfio (Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:06 pm)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:15 pm

Silfio wrote:
Have you considered OR Flite A-Series? 14.5m is 2.49kg (Juice 13m is 2.73kg) and I guess it's less expensive than Juice.

According to OR, wind range is 7-20k for TT (75k rider)
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kohilari

Postby Fatso » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:36 am

Flyingseb wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:36 pm
Fatso wrote:
Silfio wrote:
Not sure what kind of algae you’re talking about, but it has never been a problem in my case, with a TT.
A TT is only skimming on the surface, with small inclined fins, there is not much algae can do to prevent it.
In light wind it's a huge issue, it catches and slows you down as you need to angle your board. You lose the ability to fully use the low end of a kite, we're talking proper algae terrain.
These users thanked the author Fatso for the post:

Silfio
Rare Poster
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Talamone - Tuscany (Italy)
Trasimeno Lake - Italy
Gear: 12m Evo SLS 2022
10m Rebel Sls 2023
8m Core XR7
Been thanked: 0

Postby Silfio » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:02 pm

Fatso wrote:
Silfio wrote:
the algae is an issue also for TT and big kites. If the kite due to the light wind falls in the water, you would be very lucky if you will be able to relaunch the kite. the algae will twist around the lines, and with its weight will cause the kite looping...it's a nightmare :o . This condition will be even worse for me with hydrofoiling, considering that I will start as beginner and considering the additional difficulties due to the mast of the board. Therefore for light wind I was more oriented to big kites and TT or surfboards

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kohilari

Postby Fatso » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:50 pm

Silfio wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:02 pm
Fatso wrote:
Silfio wrote:
the algae is an issue also for TT and big kites. If the kite due to the light wind falls in the water, you would be very lucky if you will be able to relaunch the kite. the algae will twist around the lines, and with its weight will cause the kite looping...it's a nightmare :o . This condition will be even worse for me with hydrofoiling, considering that I will start as beginner and considering the additional difficulties due to the mast of the board. Therefore for light wind I was more oriented to big kites and TT or surfboards
Ideally you would kite at another spot, honestly proper algae sessions are terrible especially in light wind. It's just not worth it, maybe another spot with a foil could be nicer... Or take biking or something...

markap42
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby markap42 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:39 pm

bump

Return to “Kitesurfing”