Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Fins - game changer?

Postby edt » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:19 am

all fins create drag. The smaller the fins the less the drag the faster you go. In butter flat water there's zero reason to ever use fins. The purpose of fins is that they give you grip even when conditions aren't perfect. I usually ride in chop, so the fins are helpful, but if you like going fast, you need to start making your fins shorter and shorter until the board is so loose it can't track and then go back up one size. Even when fins are quite thin, they are creating drag thanks to the vortexes they are spinning in the water. You can't stop the drag just by making them sharper. The channels you see on on the bottom of all modern twintips also slow down the board and in exchange you get better grip. I think in general people ride twintips that are a little too small and fins that are a little too big, usually because someone else told them "you need such and such size fin and such and such size board."
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Trent hink (Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:43 am)
Rating: 3.13%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99)
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:36 am

The base for this "game changer" fin system is larger than the fins that are on my boards.

The twintips I've purchased over the years all had small fins. I've made some boards that had large fins but did not like them so I changed them out. I ride mostly in flat water and I like to slide the board to toeside before transitions (just my style). With the larger fins I had to hop the board to toeside. I made a skimboard years ago where I could put a small surf fin on it. Was not slippery enough so I just left it off.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Maldives Blue Lagoons
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m
Ozone R1 15m
Ozone Chrono 12m
Peter Lynn Nova 10m
Zap Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:36 pm

edt wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:19 am
all fins create drag. The smaller the fins the less the drag the faster you go. In butter flat water there's zero reason to ever use fins. The purpose of fins is that they give you grip even when conditions aren't perfect. I usually ride in chop, so the fins are helpful, but if you like going fast, you need to start making your fins shorter and shorter until the board is so loose it can't track and then go back up one size. Even when fins are quite thin, they are creating drag thanks to the vortexes they are spinning in the water. You can't stop the drag just by making them sharper. The channels you see on on the bottom of all modern twintips also slow down the board and in exchange you get better grip. I think in general people ride twintips that are a little too small and fins that are a little too big, usually because someone else told them "you need such and such size fin and such and such size board."
You have described the conditions that I prefer to kitesurf in, less than 1 foot to 2 feet max depth of water with small breaking waves. (Flat Water)
In my twin tip days I lost one of the heal side fins during a session so decided to remove the remaining heal side fin and both toe side fins.
I didn’t notice any difference whatsoever in terms of grip/upwind performance and have since moved away from Twin Tips completely in favour of Skimboards (Non kitesurfing Specific Skimboards) from the makers of Zap and DB Skimboards. Neither have fins or straps and work perfectly well for my needs in the conditions as stated.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:09 am

Looking for cost or performance.

Are these fins $5? Are these fins better then all others on the market?

I think Nobile used to have some tool less fins.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:04 am

rtz wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:09 am
Looking for cost or performance.

Are these fins $5? Are these fins better then all others on the market?

I think Nobile used to have some tool less fins.
Nobile still uses thumb screws on their NHP Split boards but sometimes you can lose fin like this as single plastic thumb screw is way more likely to break than traditional screws. While using Nobile nhp for 3 years with thumb screw I lost one fin on trip to Soma bay. Having it made of some aluminum instead of plastic probably would solve issue.

This guy from review doesn’t mention if he lost any fins while testing it for few months

Return to “Kitesurfing”