Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Off topic - deadly kite lines

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Off topic - deadly kite lines

Postby Dave_5280 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:56 pm

Off topic - India has these “fights” with kites that include lines covered in glass so they can damage each other’s kites. But non-participants have been injured and killed when hit by the lines causing cuts to head and neck. 2 deaths reported recently by slashed necks.

Article link -

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiWG ... id=US%3Aen

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Off topic - deadly kite lines

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:08 pm

That’s old, happens every year.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:48 pm

I am a bit confused about the deaths and mishaps?

It is lines used for kitefights, meaning trying to cut the opponents kite without having your own detroyed - how does this work?

Meaning you need loads of space to do so, right?

And in the article we read about some on a road getting hit?

Makes no sense to me - there must be something I dont get :naughty:

Now I found a video from India, a small single line kite, used for "fights" - now I understand even less?

Anyone who can clarify what this is all about, and why there are deaths?

8) Peter

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:03 pm

From what I've heard, decades ago, they dip the string in egg-yolk and then into crushed glass.

I think I heard once that some cheated by using steel wire, but that practice was literally outlawed.

These fighting kites are one-line, and pretty interesting.

Of course, there is gambling involved... Or at least bragging rights.

I'm curious what effect the advent of the modern lines we use might have had on this ancient sport... Could explain a lot...

My knowledge about it is mostly only recollection from a book I owned when I was ten. I see Wikipedia has an interesting article on kite fighting.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:55 am

Dave_5280 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:56 pm
Off topic - India has these “fights” with kites that include lines covered in glass so they can damage each other’s kites. But non-participants have been injured and killed when hit by the lines causing cuts to head and neck. 2 deaths reported recently by slashed necks.

Article link -

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiWG ... id=US%3Aen
There’s a reason 3rd world is called that. Illiteracy is high, overinflated pride is even higher, corruption rottens the society and risk management is often based on hopes rather than facts/research.
Not talking about picking fasçist countries to be their allies which is not relevant to the subject yet is certainly part of stereotype and a pattern the stereotypes are based on
Last edited by grigorib on Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:16 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:48 pm
I am a bit confused about the deaths and mishaps?

It is lines used for kitefights, meaning trying to cut the opponents kite without having your own detroyed - how does this work?

Meaning you need loads of space to do so, right?

And in the article we read about some on a road getting hit?

Makes no sense to me - there must be something I dont get :naughty:

Now I found a video from India, a small single line kite, used for "fights" - now I understand even less?

Anyone who can clarify what this is all about, and why there are deaths?

8) Peter
Line is covered in adhesive and then in crushed glass. People tangle the lines and then pull the string like a saw till one of them is cut and whose string is cut - loses the fight.
That unwise thing is popular enough that manjha line is specifically prohibited in kite events - like monthly fly in DC

There were reports of people running and riding on a motorcycle into the line. I’m sure there are more cuts just handling that sh!t. Yet it’s part of the culture and it doesn’t add to seeing the culture positively.

Just google up manjha line accident and click images for some minor gore.

p.s. seems there was a fatal accident and of course someone else got blamed - this time “Chinese line”. Always someone else’s fault…

Return to “Kitesurfing”