Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4
Brand Affiliation: None

Power Stroke technique in light wind

Postby artificialname » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:55 pm

What different power strokes are recommended in light wind, underpowered? What’s the most efficient?

I’ve tried
Vertical oval, turning low to the ground, in the middle of the plower zone, with all my weight supported by my back hand during the turn

Initiating the ellipse at 12, or at 2 (behind me)

Vertical figure 8

Horizontal figure 8

Down loop

Which would be the most efficient?

Are there other techniques?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Power Stroke technique in light wind

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:25 pm

There are a huge number of different techniques.

And not the same are the best, as it depends on the conditions and type of board and line length and kite type and kite weight and so many things.
Different what will work the best.

By far the most important thing though, is SHEETING.

You have to learn to sheet out and in at exactly the right moments, and gradually so you dont choke the kite nor waste power - a hairline fine touch and takes years to learn.

One can not say in general what works the best, sorry to say.
Apart from you should never turn fast, gentle arcs no matter which type of path you fly.

But you will gradually learn to sheet perfectly, and coordinate your sheeting with the kite position.

A delicate touch is needed, but it will come.

The path you fly the kite is IMO the least important.

Although there is a reason it is called "Sinus'ing", as you fly the kite in curves up and down like a sinus curve, in order to get more power when wind too light.
Just dont turn too tight at the bottom and top, and dont fly the kite too low before up again either, not efficient at all.
Then you are on the right path, and try to "feel" how to sheet the kite, for maximum power :D

8) Peter

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollos, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:46 pm

In very light wind, board position becomes much more important than in moderate or strong wind. When the wind is light, you need to ride more upright and your board needs to be relatively flat, but you'll still need to maintain a delicate heel-side edge to stay up wind. There is a fine balance, but make sure to avoid leaning too far back or trying to edge too hard when the wind gets light. Once you develop light wind board skills, you may find that your kite work becomes easier.

artificialname
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 87kg
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4

Postby artificialname » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:40 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:25 pm
Just dont turn too tight at the bottom and top, and dont fly the kite too low before up again either,

8) Peter
I thought tight low turns was where all the power is! And I thought sheeting out all the way was ideal! I’ll try your advice, thanks.

artificialname
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 87kg
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4

Postby artificialname » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:25 pm
There are a huge number of different techniques.

8) Peter
Peter does your advice relate to a light wind water start or light wind planing? I presume during the water start you want to do tight turns?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:12 am

Add line extensions - to end up with 30-40m lines length and that will have major positive impact. Jerking that kite on short lines just doesn’t help as much.
And yes, loop a lot and depower kite using trimmer to prevent choking it

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:51 am

the tighter you turn the kite the more you spill power. So if you turn it from left to right to left to right, right at the moment when the kite changes direction you spill most of the power. If you loop the kite (down loop or up loop doesn't matter), the tighter your loop the more power you are spilling. So first of all it seems obvious that a loop will be the most efficient way to start as you aren't dumping power changing direction. Not only that you want the loop to be as large as possible. What does this mean practically? Practically if your kite is at 45 degrees in front of you, then you will want to use a kite loop to start. If on the other hand your kite is behind you by 45 degrees you want to downloop it. If the kite is in front of you and you begin a down loop you have to turn it pretty hard in order to complete the loop so in order to reduce the amount of turning input, you want to start the loop on the other side and let the kite go all the way across that way the curve can be more gentle. After the first loop is over, continue with another loop. You want the kite to go as far up in the sky as possible and as close to the water as possible as this gives you the most gentle loop and dumps the least amount of power. As long as you keep the general principle in mind, that is turning the kite dumps power, you can sine it, down loop it, up loop it, whatever you like. I don't have any advice for sheeting as that depends on which kite you have.

alekbelia
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:22 am

With kiteloops it should be clear that different parts of the loop can produce different power that we can get from the kite. We get maximum power when the kite moves as fast as possible. With normal line lengths this occurs at the bottom of the kiteloop. These are the impulses in a single kiteloop.
If we want sustained power, we start with one kiteloop and then rotate two consecutive kiteloops in the opposite direction, then 2 again in the original direction. This is often used in snowkiting when climbing a slope.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:37 am

Lots of good advice above, but I would not get too hung up on not turning the kite hard. Sometimes you need to turn the kite hard and then sheet out in order to have the Kite develop power in the position which produces pull in the direction that is needed. Having the pull where you want it is more than half the battle imho!!

Tô develop the skills required learn to fly loops in different parts of the window and different shaped loops across the window. Also practice sheeting in hard to back the kite into the window, then sheet out to let the kite run to the edge of the window, just before the kite stops turn it hard and low then sheet out to fly it fast and low across the window whilst searching for the optimum sheeting angle for max pull - good for changing tacks.

Direction of pull can be just as important as strength of pull. For water starting reduction of your body’s moment of inertia, ie ball up, is also critical, a J (on its side) shaped backloop is good for starting but you may need to point a little more downwind than usual. ( If using a big foil, backing it down and just letting it fly up can give you a waterstart. )
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
alekbelia (Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:22 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:16 am

from my experience in marginal winds on foilkite, the optimum kite piloting during waterstart (" ass off water" phase) depends on a lot of things like Peter said, I agree with all of them, and we can include rider's weight (lower marginal wind than heavier rider so kite odes not behaves the same); overall a very good loop technics is almost similar as a very good technics of "sinusoids + dive down" ...

About kite type and designs, for example with my Roam Aluula , "sinusoids + dive down" (with Leading Edge not only downward but even a bit backward during dive down because Roam is very agile) is clearly better ; with my Pulsion, slower but good power during loop, a loop is a bit better, with my Elf Joker5, loop is a bit better if well timed.

It is however great to work both technics because depending on the combination wind instant peak vs kite position and speed in the window, you shall play with all technics when you "know your kite".

Return to “Kitesurfing”