Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Kite Bag Zipper issues

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone Kite Bag Zipper issues

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am

I use Ikea bags. Cheap and the zips don't seem to break as easily ( I have some from 5 years ago that are still in use). You can squeeze 2 kites, a pump and a bar inside if the kites are well folded.

You have to be careful zipping as there is not internal flap so it is possible to nip the contents of the bag if you are being careless. The only other thing is not to store the kites wet as the zipper will corrode and you can end up with rust marks on the kites inside. Neither of these things is a deal breaker for me though.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/frakta-tru ... -90149148/

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:03 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am
I use Ikea bags. Cheap and the zips don't seem to break as easily ( I have some from 5 years ago that are still in use). You can squeeze 2 kites, a pump and a bar inside if the kites are well folded.

You have to be careful zipping as there is not internal flap so it is possible to nip the contents of the bag if you are being careless. The only other thing is not to store the kites wet as the zipper will corrode and you can end up with rust marks on the kites inside. Neither of these things is a deal breaker for me though.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/frakta-tru ... -90149148/
+1 for Ikea bags, especially the Tostero used for garden stuff, used them for years to store wet gear and boards, zippers look like new...

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:24 pm

Flysurfer has nice compression bag that you put you kite first and then you put it to bag pack, that would be ideal way to pack kite quick, these small Duotone bags are just annoying to use I’m always worried that I will damage kite canopy with zipper

aitorlopezosua
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Point, Macapa, Aitutaki, Le Morne
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Duotone

Postby aitorlopezosua » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:13 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pm
purdyd wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:18 pm
I think the new bags are ever so slightly better because it is a straight zip

But zippers should be outlawed from all kite bags.

Agree, I havent had a bag or anything with a zipper in contact with salt water, that havent failed eventually...

Unfortunately it is just a matter of time till it happens.

If not, you dont ride much :rollgrin:

Problem is, there is no better alternative really.

Wish one could buy relatively low cost new kitebags, the only solution IMO.

Well, I actually HAVE done this, not many brands do this at low cost, but it IS offered :thumb:

8) Peter
After certain time, use and if bags are left at the beach, zippers will start not working properlly. At that point it helps to lubricate the zippers with oil. I do not leave kitebags in the sand any more but i do sometimes my surfboards bags and zippers are having the same issues. Solution: Clean and lubricate here and there the zippers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”