Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Correct kite for conditions

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Correct kite for conditions

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 am

ham-er wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 am
beiklid wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:48 pm
I always look at the forecast to find out if it is possible to kitesurf.
When I arrive at tbe beach I first observe, what size are people using? Sinusing, butt out, white caps, flags , sand blowing etc.
Then I try to feel how the wind affects my clothing.

No white caps, take your 17.
Some white caps, flags not always stretched, the 12.
Regular white caps, many kite sizes in use, feels good, t-shirt lifting from your back, 10 or 12.
Same as above, but not much sinusing, feels strong, some butts out, the 8.
Sand blowing, buy a smaller kite than your 8.

If I find that I have to use alot of depower on the water, it is difficult to handle gusts, or difficult to control speed, I switch to a smaller kite.
I like how you broke my quiver down.
Are you suggesting I need a smaller kite too? :o
Was actually thinking if getting 7m for them stormy days... , but I want a new board first :wink:
Personally I'd be on the 'No' side of that answer. You are a big rider so need big sizes. If you aren't good enough to know when its 7m kite time then you may not have the skills to deal with the more complicated water state that 7m riding conditions bring. Sometimes its fun just to watch the more experienced riders than it is to be out there amongst them.

beiklid
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Verket, Larkollen
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby beiklid » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:44 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:08 am
ham-er wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:33 am
beiklid wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:48 pm
I always look at the forecast to find out if it is possible to kitesurf.
When I arrive at tbe beach I first observe, what size are people using? Sinusing, butt out, white caps, flags , sand blowing etc.
Then I try to feel how the wind affects my clothing.

No white caps, take your 17.
Some white caps, flags not always stretched, the 12.
Regular white caps, many kite sizes in use, feels good, t-shirt lifting from your back, 10 or 12.
Same as above, but not much sinusing, feels strong, some butts out, the 8.
Sand blowing, buy a smaller kite than your 8.

If I find that I have to use alot of depower on the water, it is difficult to handle gusts, or difficult to control speed, I switch to a smaller kite.
I like how you broke my quiver down.
Are you suggesting I need a smaller kite too? :o
Was actually thinking if getting 7m for them stormy days... , but I want a new board first :wink:
Personally I'd be on the 'No' side of that answer. You are a big rider so need big sizes. If you aren't good enough to know when its 7m kite time then you may not have the skills to deal with the more complicated water state that 7m riding conditions bring. Sometimes its fun just to watch the more experienced riders than it is to be out there amongst them.
I aggre with nothing2seehere.
My summary was just a quick attempt to how I would have chosen and trying to warn you not to go out with the 8 in too strong wind.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:00 pm

What if you carefully examine the trees, the whitecaps, take a measurement, figure out the forecast perfectly, do everything perfect, choose the perfect kite for the conditions everything has been done perfectly, as explained in the comments above. You take the 15 or 30 minute walk to the launch take 15 minutes to set up your kite, and then the wind picks up or drops? You are screwed. The walk is so long that the conditions can change while you are getting there. Just take 2 kites. Lots of ways to do that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”