Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Foil on 5m

Postby DanielorDani » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:50 pm

rnelias wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:42 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:06 pm
Yes absolutely I would also take my 9M Boxer for this kind of wind but the question was is it possible and is the manufacturer lying. It's possible for me on my 5M around 12 knots not ideal in the lulls I would not be able to get going if the contra 5M is a bit more powerful then it's in the realm of the possible.
Manufactures should include other parameters on the hydrofoiling wind range table.

5m Contra-1 for a 75kg rider @ 11k might be possible for a > 1200cm^2 surf wing :thumb:

In fact, hydrofoiling manufactures and sellers should also inform the speed range for each wing profile besides the A/R, chord, surface area, etc...

Our comparisons are mostly based on feeling or against a "benchmark standard wing" like the Onda 633.
Totally agree. But in fact actually I am pretty new in foil world.

I just tried my foil, a Cabrinha hi rise lift. A 982cm2 amd AR of 4.

IWantToFly
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 73kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 12, Peak5 5m
Cloud 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby IWantToFly » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:01 am

DanielorDani wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:50 pm
I just tried my foil, a Cabrinha hi rise lift. A 982cm2 amd AR of 4.
That’s the foil I learned on. I liked it quite a lot to learn but it definitely needs a bit more wind than the crop of 1200cm foils. (I actually think that is useful because you can get up in your board and taxi a little, you don’t get so much lift you immediately pop up and have to foil.)

As for strutless kite sizes, I could probably start riding my 4.8m Cloud around 14-15kts, maybe a touch more. 6.2m Cloud around 11-12kts. 8mCloud maybe 9kts. At one point I jumped on a buddy’s 633 and it was so stable it felt like cheating.

Boston kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 12 rebel, 10m Rebel. 9m sls Neo, 7m Neo

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Duotone Profish, Cab secret agent/Lift 200 surf
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Boston kiter » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:39 am

DanielorDani wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:39 pm
In many manufacter kite webpages appears that the specific kites for foiling with 0 or 1 strut, have a wind range which not always its true.

I am interested in foiling about 12-13 knots and I saw for example that Cabrinha contra 5m starts in 11knots. My weight is 70kg. Is it realistic to kite with a LEI 5m in such a low wind?

And with a 5m UFO?
Thanks!!
I say bullcrap. Maybe some freak who has perfected the waterstart to the point he/she can get up with such a small kite at 11knts. If you can get up it is definitly possible. Your average joe is going to need at least a 7m IMO.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 am

I'm with Toby that air temperature has a surprising effect on how small a kite can pull a kite-foiler out of the water and up on foil. Of course, it helps tons if it's a light, fast, and stiff small kite & the rider must keep it moving "like a squirrel on cocaine !"

Would have also expected someone to remark that having a bit bigger planform board as well as a bigger front wing helps a lot too in really light air.

Return to “Kitesurfing”