Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do so many only use ancient "Hero mode" action cams?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why do so many only use ancient "Hero mode" action cams?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:46 am

rnelias wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:02 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:14 pm

But for the on-lookers it doesnt work, sorry to say...

Might sound cruel, not directly my intention, but the truth.

8) Peter
I'd say the same for distorted 360 images where you try to squeeze everything in the same frame.

Lines don't make high degrees round curves in real life. They don't get out of the frame from one side and return from the top, thus, the 360 resource should be wisely used and with parsimony [it might sound cruel, but...] :naughty:

Sorry - it was just an example to show a 360 camera view (okay, it was more a 180 degree view).
You said it well, "should be wisely used".

You dont sqeeze everything into the video like my picture example, doesnt make sense.

But you can aim so the motive, say your kite (see so many kite tests, where you cant see the kite much) is centered, and without distortion.

Or you can change view, so aimed at your board or feet or bar, without distortion.

Or, like I often do, you can aim it at friends riding close to you or passing by or jumping next to you.

Of course, as said, the quality is not as good as a Hero cam pointed at the motive - but as most are hardly never pointed at the motive, well :naughty:

I have the feel, that many who make POV videos, riding themeselves, put a lot more into the experience because they know how it "felt".
Whereas for viewers, this feel it totally lost.
The name "POV" camera is actually not very well described, as our eyes works so much better than any cam, we are able to see at extreme view angles, and also focus faster than a blink of an eye :lol:

My point is simply, that both a Hero and 360 cam can work wonders when used selectively.

But by far the majority of videos are with Hero cams, not really capturing the desired object :roll:

Good to read some use 360 cams for focusing correctly.

The reason for my post is mostly to point out, the advantages you can have with a 360 cam, and I guess many have never had one.
True, frame quality can be worse, and you might have distorted views sometimes yes, but the ability to focus on whatever you want, can give you amazing views, but more work yes :rollgrin:

I love quality shots, but sometimes being able to aim/target is much more important.
Other times just opposite.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
rnelias (Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:44 am

I’d like a 360 cam but the 3X is too expensive for my taste just being a gimmick or to try out. Are there any entry level 360 cams with decent software that I might be missing? 720p output is good enough for me.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:43 pm

Nelis wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:44 am
I’d like a 360 cam but the 3X is too expensive for my taste just being a gimmick or to try out. Are there any entry level 360 cams with decent software that I might be missing? 720p output is good enough for me.
I had all versions of OneX cameras and any previous version will record with the same resolution - 5.7k @ 30fps (but not exactly the same quality as sensors changed...)

Thus, if you find a X2 or even X1 for a good price, get it and you won't regret :thumb:

In fact, there's something that I miss from X1: the venture case. It makes X1 waterproof while protecting the lenses. X2 and X3 don't have this case and the lens protectors are garbage
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
Nelis (Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:24 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:31 pm

this video I made was shot 100% in "Ancient Hero Mode"

Nothing wrong with "Ancient Hero Mode"
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
rnelias (Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:59 pm)

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:12 pm

edt wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:31 pm

Nothing wrong at all. It was great. It was also 46 different clips for a 2:20 video, which takes a lot of post work. There was also only 1 short POV-type shot so a ton of shooting at other people while the videographer was standing in the water.

I think Peter’s point is that a lot of people don’t actually put in the time to film and edit a decent video. Those people would be better served by a 360° camera where they could quickly and easily put together a short video that would be fun to watch.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:24 pm

IWantToFly wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:12 pm

I think Peter’s point is that a lot of people don’t actually put in the time to film and edit a decent video. Those people would be better served by a 360° camera where they could quickly and easily put together a short video that would be fun to watch.
so if you are going to be low effort but not zero effort make it 360 instead? Zero Effort: Ancient Go Pro. Almost Zero Effort: 360. Anything above that then it doesn't matter what you use.
Last edited by edt on Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:26 pm

As an alternative for those who don’t understand the usefulness of the 360° camera, I was able to make this “movie” from a single clip in a few minutes.

I purposely got the 360° camera because I knew I was too lazy to shoot multiple angles and then pull together a bunch of clips for a an actual short movie.
These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:36 pm) • rnelias (Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:41 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:37 pm

decent video requires planning (production?) and post work editing including sounds and music. It doesn't matter if you have an action or 360 camera.

I think 360 cameras only give us the chance of a lazy video :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't need to plan what to include in the final video. Just carry the camera with you and press the record button from time to time.

However, it's not that simple. For a good final result, the placement of the 360 camera is important. It will give you more or less freedom to choose good PoV in the post processing. For instance, if you mount a 360 camera on top of a helmet (HF racers do it a lot), the camera will capture everything except YOU :duh: . I've used the OneX1 in the chest mount a lot when learning hydrofoil. It's not the best place to put a 360 camera but I could use both hands while recording everything, including my body, face, feet, kite, board, etc... in other words, it's good during learning processes. One lens pointing up and the other pointing down. I don't recommend using 360 camera in chest mounts because the hook hits the lens and you'll surely scratch it. In my case, it was not an issue since I was using the venture case.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 pm

edt wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:31 pm

You surely planned to compose this video or, at least, had the concern to collect footage from several perspectives to have editing option in the post production :thumb:

here's a lazy video edition I've made to store a recent trip. It was entirely made on my phone using Quik (or Insta360 app, I don't remember). It has a bunch of footages from different cameras (OneX2, Go2, Hero10 and my phone) but nothing was planned :lol:

Sorry, audio is in portuguese.

Video production and editing is a creative work that not everyone has the training or skill to do. The AI in the apps are improving but it doesn't make miracles yet. Nothing compares a good and professional work in this subject. We're just amateurs storing our good memories :thumb:
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
edt (Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:03 am)

mrbig
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Airush, Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby mrbig » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:57 am

Has anyone tried using the tethered tracking with a DJI drone using Lichi?
How it works is you just have to keep a cellphone with you (with GPS on and Lichi Tether installed) then the drone operator uses the primary controller to track you automatically - set angle, height and distance. I'm using Litchi with my Mini 2 for vlog follow shots and the tracking is spot-on. If the drone does not have obstacle avoidance care must be taken where you fly though..

Return to “Kitesurfing”