Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do so many only use ancient "Hero mode" action cams?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Why do so many only use ancient "Hero mode" action cams?

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:57 pm

Have seen sooooo many videos, taken either with a classic GoPro of some kind, or other brands, NON 360 cams.

Almost never see 360 degree cams, which are in every way SO much better.

Often you see a chest or helmet cam, pointed at a narrow angle forward - and you can not see your board, nor the kite, only in short glimpses...
The worst possible videotakes IMO.

With any 360 degree cam you can make way better videos - just saying.

Assume it is either because many dont know what the never cameras can do?
Or because they have ancient GoPro or similar cams?

Would like to share the amazing experiences from 360 degree cams, having watched so many bad videos...

An example, wingfoil (out two times at spots very close and on each tack, loved that day), but with kitefoil you can also get the same crazy good angles at exactly what you want:

https://www.facebook.com/surfpeter/vide ... 634056964/

I am not very good, cant do much, but surfing the waves is key, I love that.

I think many dont know the advantages of 360 degree cams?

Where you can choose the "perfect" angle, meaning you can, if say TT riding or kitefoiling or waveriding, show video where both you and the board and the kite is present - SO much better, honestly :rollgrin:

When taking frame captures, of course "Hero" mode good cams are better in terms of resolution and picture quality, so important to know which cam to use when.

A frame capture from a GoPro Max, this summer out in shorts, 360 degree is key:
360 Øster Hurup.jpg
Sorry if it is just me LOVING good pictures and videos :naughty:

But have seen soo many "bad" videos where you cant see the board nor the kite, most often...
Although, I ALWAYS respect anybody who shares, no matter what and how - WAY better than those not sharing anything, respect :thumb:

A hint for those NOT knowing what 360 degree cams can do for you :D

8) Peter

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Re: Why do so many only use ancient "Hero mode" action cams?

Postby rnelias » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:31 pm

I think I can give you some explanations why not always use 360 cameras...

I have One X3, Hero10 and Go2 and most of the times I choose the "action cams". Why? Because they're simpler to use and I don't need to worry about scratching lenses. In fact, I'd only use the Go2 if it had a better battery. Why? Because it's small, lightweight, I can mount it anywhere, including on my lines. Image quality is excelent for YT purposes, horizon levelling bult-in, natively waterproof, amazing app and not so expensive as the other two cameras. In short, it does the job very well for less hassle and less money as well.

What about the One X3? Why do I usually avoid to use it? Besides the concerns about the lenses (and I don't like to use screen protectors since they destroy image quality), 360 cameras also has one step more in the editing process. We must frame the image. It may be funny to correct the PoV in some cases. Just 30 seconds footage allows to create several points of view but, sometimes, you just want to record a simple and straight image.

I think there's another point to consider when using 360 cameras. People tend to exaggerate its potential using a bunch of distorted images. It may be fun for just a couple of frames but 20 seconds of mini planet footage is, somehow, annoying/disturbing (IMO, of course). Highly curved and distorted horizon or lines are not natural too and can turn the footage unattractive :thumb:
Last edited by rnelias on Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:31 pm

i'm already sick of the 360 videos that's all I see, nonstop 360. Maybe it's still new to some people, but to me it feels like how all those line mount videos got to be, just video after video after video of linemount, but now it's video after video of 360.
These users thanked the author edt for the post (total 4):
rnelias (Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:36 pm) • Ulrik (Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:18 am) • Sarda (Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:38 pm) • Gestalt (Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:23 am)
Rating: 12.5%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:32 pm

My videos are almost all shot on a GoPro MAX:

But sometimes I'll use a different camera:

Mostly making videos is hard. Editing is work. Turning 360 video into something with sharing is extra work. Getting any sort of decent audio is work. Making even an "ok" video takes a fair amount of effort.
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:35 pm) • SENDIT! (Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:53 pm)
Rating: 6.25%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:41 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:31 pm
i'm already sick of the 360 videos that's all I see, nonstop 360. Maybe it's still new to some people, but to me it feels like how all those line mount videos got to be, just video after video after video of linemount, but now it's video after video of 360.
I'm now opting for a vlog style of footage where I ride talking to the camera in my hand and point it to contextualize what I'm saying. It makes more sense and entertaining for me and, for this purpose, any action cam is more than enough. :thumb:

This subject is interesting because a friend asked me what camera he should buy: Hero10 or Max. I gave him my pros and cons list and he decided to get the Max. Now he's trying to figure out the best way to carry his new Max while riding without the risk of losing the camera or scratch the lens. Well... I've tried to advise... :lol: 8)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:46 pm

@Frank, the best piece of equipment to record you in the water would be a drone that could fly in 20-25 knots, at least 30 minutes, and without losing you from frame. Maybe a Skydio 3 version or a DJI with a better active tracking technology. If both companies could merge their products, it would be perfect for us as the Skydio dongle is nice to control the flying camera while riding. I know 360 cameras can fake drone images but it's not easy to carry a long selfie stick with us while riding.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:47 pm

I think the best videos have everything max hero 11, regular hero 11, insta 360, line mount and drone. But what I get is a guy showing 10 minutes of his 360 video, or 10 minutes of line mount.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 pm

Good inputs - I get the "it takes a bit more to edit" yes.

But I dont agree with "360 videos is all we see", on the contrary, that is why I made this post - I only see stupid "Hero" mode videos where you cant see board nor rider nor kite, most of the time :cry:

I use both Hero and 360 edited modes, on purpose and with the given conditions and setup of the day.

But still have to say, too many videos are made with a useless "Hero" mode, sorry to say...

Assume it is because so many have the ancient Hero mode cams only, which makes perfect sense on occasion, and then it makes sense.
But it limits the experience HUGELY, trust me :naughty:

It takes one to know one yes but then I hope it can be an eyeopener to those not having 360 degree experience.

Not sure if I have heard from anyone using both, that they prefer the Hero?
As said, it is based on what you want to "share" and on a given day, and nothing but that.

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:02 pm

hero 11 has better color better sensor better slow motion, sharper image than the insta 360. The insta 360 is really good though and I want their 1 inch sensor version for low light.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:08 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 pm
Good inputs - I get the "it takes a bit more to edit" yes.

But I dont agree with "360 videos is all we see", on the contrary, that is why I made this post - I only see stupid "Hero" mode videos where you cant see board nor rider nor kite, most of the time :cry:

I use both Hero and 360 edited modes, on purpose and with the given conditions and setup of the day.

But still have to say, too many videos are made with a useless "Hero" mode, sorry to say...

Assume it is because so many have the ancient Hero mode cams only, which makes perfect sense on occasion, and then it makes sense.
But it limits the experience HUGELY, trust me :naughty:

It takes one to know one yes but then I hope it can be an eyeopener to those not having 360 degree experience.

Not sure if I have heard from anyone using both, that they prefer the Hero?
As said, it is based on what you want to "share" and on a given day, and nothing but that.

8) Peter
but Frank, you don't need to include everything in just one frame. I agree that the 360 camera allow us to reframe after and include subjects individually: just the board/foot work, just the kite, yourself, landscape, etc... . but we should avoid to put everything in the same frame. Consider the picture in your first post. It's unnatural/artificial and only possible due to lens distortion. It can be attractive if used with moderation but, if you exaggerate, it's annoying (surely I'm not the only person that thinks the same...).

Maybe I'm the first that prefer an action cam instead of 360 but, the good video work is only achieved when you know how to combine several types of frames in the same editing: drone, 360, actiom cams, b-rolls, etc... :thumb:
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:56 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

Return to “Kitesurfing”