Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Terrible Kite school in Cape Town

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Terrible Kite school in Cape Town

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:33 pm

Coastline Kite School in Cape Town used to me a reputable school, but the company was bought last year by a couple who have zero experience at kiteboarding, let alone running a kite school. My daughter has spent the last couple of months working as an instructor for them. This is not an easy gig as the wind conditions can make teaching a very challenging proposition, compounded by a season this year with erratic and inconsistent winds. Now this couple are refusing to pay my daughter and a fellow instructor for 3 weeks of work because a 4m kite was stolen from the beach while they were giving lessons. Of course, while teaching, the instructor's attention needs to be focused on the students who often are struggling with difficult conditions.

There are good, experienced, responsible kite schools in Cape Town - Coastline is no longer one of them.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post (total 2):
Dave_5280 (Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:45 pm) • consumer (Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:29 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Terrible Kite school in Cape Town

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:45 pm

Thanks, I will avoid them.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:33 pm
Now this couple are refusing to pay my daughter and a fellow instructor for 3 weeks of work because a 4m kite was stolen from the beach while they were giving lessons.
Even if they where at fault this seems totally insane.
One would assume the kite school pays significantly less then half retail price of a kite (they don’t pay VAT and should get a good discount as a school)

3 weeks of work can be quite random in regards to how many hours of classes where given but it seems likely they where royally screwed by the owners twice.
(Assuming they worked at least 1hr/day on average)
First by claiming it’s their fault and second by totally overcharging for the kite.

Hope word gets around and no instructor will work for them.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:37 pm

F that; steal some of their other kites and sell them. You’ve already been blamed for it, do it.😳🙄😂⁉️
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
rw30 (Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:04 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:33 pm
Coastline Kite School in Cape Town used to me a reputable school, but the company was bought last year by a couple who have zero experience at kiteboarding, let alone running a kite school. My daughter has spent the last couple of months working as an instructor for them. This is not an easy gig as the wind conditions can make teaching a very challenging proposition, compounded by a season this year with erratic and inconsistent winds. Now this couple are refusing to pay my daughter and a fellow instructor for 3 weeks of work because a 4m kite was stolen from the beach while they were giving lessons. Of course, while teaching, the instructor's attention needs to be focused on the students who often are struggling with difficult conditions.

There are good, experienced, responsible kite schools in Cape Town - Coastline is no longer one of them.
I don't know if there are protections in ZA, but most western countries have laws against wage theft. Get this couple to confirm it in writing, then take it to the relevant agency.

I couldn't find a link to the actual law, but found multiple things referring to it - https://www.labourguide.co.za/most-rece ... deductions

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:23 pm

Why would a couple buy a business they don’t understand and have no passion for? Who would sell a kite school to a non-kiter? This makes no sense at all. Doubt we ever get to learn two sides of this story. I certainly hope all instructors make a happy landing after this.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:55 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:23 pm
Why would a couple buy a business they don’t understand and have no passion for? Who would sell a kite school to a non-kiter? This makes no sense at all. Doubt we ever get to learn two sides of this story. I certainly hope all instructors make a happy landing after this.
My impression is it was primarily a real estate transaction that came with the kite school. You're right, running a kite school normally takes a certain degree of passion & commitment. This couple has no understanding of kiting and no experience. As all the instructors know each other, they will have a hard time finding other instructors willing to work for them.

It might seem like an appealing job, but the reality is that the instructors in Cape Town find themselves working at a very physically and mentally demanding job for a pittance - 14 Euros an hour - with unpredictable hours, no job security and a considerable weight of responsibility for keeping their students safe. They don't seem to have any real legal protection at all, as most of them don't have the right to work for pay in SA anyway.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:00 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:55 pm

My impression is it was primarily a real estate transaction that came with the kite school.
So if the kite school fails, what is the future for the real estate: Birdwatching? Dog park? Private bungalow? Fashion eyewear sales?

I really hope the instructors get paid. Who has a bigger risk: a business with real property and untaxed labor or the laborer themselves? It seems to me a good resolution would be private.

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Postby CaptainKook » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:00 am

If they have an employment contract, check their terms. Deduction of wages is not likely to be in there.

If they are cash in hand, they have very few legal rights.

It would be better if the 2 of them tried to make an agreement with the owners.

How old was the kite? If it was a 5yr old beater, used for basic kite control skills that has had 5 years of being crashed, it would be reasonable if they replaced it with a similar condition kite, but get paid the 3 weeks wages.

Insist they get anything agreed in writing.

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:55 pm
jakemoore wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:23 pm
My impression is it was primarily a real estate transaction that came with the kite school. You're right, running a kite school normally takes a certain degree of passion & commitment. This couple has no understanding of kiting and no experience. As all the instructors know each other, they will have a hard time finding other instructors willing to work for them.

It might seem like an appealing job, but the reality is that the instructors in Cape Town find themselves working at a very physically and mentally demanding job for a pittance - 14 Euros an hour - with unpredictable hours, no job security and a considerable weight of responsibility for keeping their students safe. They don't seem to have any real legal protection at all, as most of them don't have the right to work for pay in SA anyway.
Aside from your original point your last sentence raises a massive question

You’re shitting on the company for various things like job security hours and pay and yet you’re saying that the workers don’t even have the right to work in South Africa?. I’m pretty sure that makes them just as culpable as the employer and if the employer knows that they don’t have the right to work in South Africa. They know that they’re not about to be taken to court by the workers because they will be in more trouble than the kite school

Return to “Kitesurfing”