Forum for kitesurfers
Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Brand comparisons for trainer kite for children

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:26 pm

Ozone has several models and they’re vey well known and highly regarded for their kites.
I still have my Samurai 2m/4-line. It’s a fun kite to mess around on, especially on a skateboard. I’ve used it to train some friends with much success.
Personally I’d avoid a 2-line because relaunch is practically impossible without another person to help.
Foil:
Go 2-line
Ignition 3-line
Pure 4-line

Inflatable:
Uno 4-line

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:58 pm

Sun wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:50 am
Peak in 3m is an excellent kite to keep in quiver. Very versatile. However, for small children a 3m might be too big. To get them used to kite control, I suggest the three-line Ozone Ignition in the smallest size you can get. Instructors who bill by the hour love two-line kites because they take forever to re-launch when you crash. The three line kites relaunch really well.
Pretty cynical view, Sun. I’ve been an instructor for over 10 years and neither do I ascribe to your theory, nor do I know any instructor that does. I prefer using 3 line trainers b/c I can relaunch the kite easily and quickly without having to keep walking back to the kite and relaunching it. Not to mention, half the time, the student will manage to crash it again before I can get back to them and help keep it in the air. I typically only spend 30-45 minutes on a trainer kite; just long enough to get them a basic feel and understanding of kite control and how it powers up when moving. I have goals in mind to complete for each lesson, subsequent lessons building on the skills learned previously. Running out the clock, as you seem to be implying, is just not productive. I mean after all, if you’re going to be suspicious of school’s profit motives, wouldn’t it make more sense to get them through the process quickly and therefore ready to purchase their own equipment? :wink:

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sun » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:07 am

Certainly not saying all people do, but I have literally offered loaning an Ignition that I own to someone that teaches, and his response was no, with reference to the two line kites and billable hours.

I did lose some respect for that individual, hence my cynical response.

Nevertheless, I am still a huge advocate for lessons in this sport.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
SENDIT! (Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:21 pm

Sun wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:07 am
Certainly not saying all people do, but I have literally offered loaning an Ignition that I own to someone that teaches, and his response was no, with reference to the two line kites and billable hours.

I did lose some respect for that individual, hence my cynical response.

Nevertheless, I am still a huge advocate for lessons in this sport.
Wow, that dude is unethical! I definitely wouldn’t recommend him to anyone else! As far as the Ignition goes, it’s one of my favorites. I used B3’s for years, but shifting over to the Ignition with its 3rd line reverse launch made my life easier! I’m currently using North’s Pioneer and that works well, too. Shorter lines and not as powerful, which is helpful with kids/lightweight people.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:20 pm

Janus wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 pm
12kts and up was fine and yes it can handle a lot of wind without problems, very very easy water relaunch.
Which size did you use?
I had the original Viron deluxe which was only available in 6m. It could fly in 8 knots, but you had the typical low wind issue where the lag in kite response is horrible for people learning to fly. Even in 10-12 knots it flew like a dog. Only in 14+ did it not suck for teaching.

When it comes to teaching light weight kids 12 knots is the top end of wind you want to take them out in IMO.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:28 am

Just a note that to get started, Decathlon sells some very cheap 2-line foil kites (less than 1 sq. m.), you can use a piece of broom handle as bar. I had one, it was not terrible, I guess good for the first week or 2 of learning.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:20 pm
Janus wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:16 pm
12kts and up was fine and yes it can handle a lot of wind without problems, very very easy water relaunch.
Which size did you use?
I had the original Viron deluxe which was only available in 6m. It could fly in 8 knots, but you had the typical low wind issue where the lag in kite response is horrible for people learning to fly. Even in 10-12 knots it flew like a dog. Only in 14+ did it not suck for teaching.

When it comes to teaching light weight kids 12 knots is the top end of wind you want to take them out in IMO.
My son could already fly 4 lines tubes, so it was not realy teaching.. it needed more wind then you really wanted in the beginning but then you find out how easy it was and controlable in the higher winds so it wasn't a problem. Also the big plus was that it doesn't really had a power spike and no lift at all.. so very safe. IMHO I think the Viron will finally be skipped now that there is a better option with the Hybrid.

DefyInertia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
Local Beach: Bay Area, CA
Style: Why not
Gear: F-One Bandit
SLINGSHOT Misfit
Nobile NHP Split
Directional

Postby DefyInertia » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:29 am

Really helpful thread. My oldest is turning 12 this summer and really wants to learn. She is about 35 kg and can loop and unloop a 2 line 2m twitchy SLINGSHOT trainer.

I’m thinking Hybrid in 5.5m is the way to go here. I’ve got a light wind spot nearby with big beach and shallow water that often sees 8 to 12 knots. That won’t be too much power to learn on, right?

What harness would you all recommend for a 142 cm / 35 kg (4’8” / 77 pound) twelve year old girl?

Seems the CONNECT bar is the way to go since the control bars I use (F-one) are all 22m lines.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:54 am

Maybe a wing-foiling harness could work for a trainer kite. For the $$$, Forward has a possible option.
https://www.forward-wip.com/product/wing-harness/

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:25 pm

Janus wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am
Viron ... the big plus was that it doesn't really had a power spike and no lift at all..
Not only did the Viron have absolutely no power spike, it just had almost no power in general, but also zero lift which was nice. It flies too far back in the window as well.

I find that the Peak 4's have the same lack of lift but yet are able to really grunt up some power so they are just so much better it's night and day.
DefyInertia wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:29 am
Hybrid in 5.5m is the way to go here. I’ve got a light wind spot nearby with big beach and shallow water that often sees 8 to 12 knots. That won’t be too much power to learn on, right?
What harness would you all recommend for a 142 cm / 35 kg (4’8” / 77 pound) twelve year old girl?
Seems the CONNECT bar is the way to go since the control bars I use (F-one) are all 22m lines.
I haven't tried the Hybrid personally but I would expect 10 knots to be perfect for her, 12 knots a bit more spicy.

I've been using the DaKine Fusion with my son since he was smaller than that and it's worked very well. Lower attachment is better for short arms. I also use the Fireball Jr bar which is very nice as it doesn't twist the spreader in to you when the kite is high.

Any 4 line low V bar will work, I use Cab Trimlite bars.

Return to “Kitesurfing”