Forum for kitesurfers
Van Hunk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin
Brand Affiliation: None

Cape Town Basic Rules

Postby Van Hunk » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 am

Hi Everyone,

The regular visitors to Cape Town know that the average conditions here are quite a bit more hardcore than what the average European rider is accustomed to. We have seen evidence of this with multiple injuries (varying from bumps and bruises to a fatality) involving tourists so far this season.

There is a saying among the Cape Town locals that "there is nothing more dangerous in Cape Town kiting than a tourist". (And I include the pro's here. Those guys can be entitled dipshits.)

For your own safety, and particularly those of the locals (which to be fair are going to be the guys or girls that come and rescue you or bring you your board),
please adhere to the following basic rules:

- Don't jump when there are other riders close downwind, no matter how good the kicker is.
- The rider with his RIGHT hand in front on the bar has right of way. In other words, the kiter coming into shore at Kitebeach has right of way.
- With the exception of the first 50 meters from the shore. This section is for people entering and exiting the water. Give them right of way. It is not difficult.

Enjoy your time in one of the best spots on the planet and be safe.

VH
These users thanked the author Van Hunk for the post (total 2):
rw30 (Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:38 pm) • justbob (Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:27 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Re: Cape Town Basic Rules

Postby leepasty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:37 pm

You should add in-
Don’t put a 8 or 9m up when it’s blowing 40knts.
Man I don’t know how someone didn’t die the other day, so many kooks out of control way overpowered bouncing and crashing into people and windsurfers
These users thanked the author leepasty for the post:
Van Hunk (Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:57 pm

Van Hunk wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:24 am
For your own safety, and particularly those of the locals (which to be fair are going to be the guys or girls that come and rescue you or bring you your board),

VH
I concur that. Two locals saved me 8 years ago when my safety for some reason accidentally released far out. It didn't take long until the first one came out to asked me if I was ok. Unfortunately my lines had tangled around the bar and the wind was too strong to sort it out. Of course the kite landed in the direction to pull me out to the sea so I had to release it completely.

One guy towed me back to the beach and the other one tried to get my kite but could not manage it. There is at least one big exception to the Pros being as bad as the kiting tourists....Kevin Langeree....he went out and took my kite back to the beach. Iv'e seen several clips on him rescuing kite equipment and doing so while he's preparing for the KOTA.

Big kudos to the local guys in CT and of course Kevin as well!!
These users thanked the author magnusod for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:12 pm)

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm

Van Hunk wrote:
please adhere to the following basic rules:

- Don't jump when there are other riders close downwind, no matter how good the kicker is.
- The rider with his RIGHT hand in front on the bar has right of way. In other words, the kiter coming into shore at Kitebeach has right of way.
- With the exception of the first 50 meters from the shore. This section is for people entering and exiting the water. Give them right of way. It is not difficult.
Doesn't the rider going out in the waves have right of way or do you count in that in the first 50 m rule? I thought that in all surfing categories surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing and wingsurfing the rider going out in the impact zone has right of way. This is due to that you may need to redirect your way to avoid a breaking wave and also many times ride with almost no speed when trying to go over the white water.
The rider coming in or riding a wave can much easier control where he is going.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:23 pm

Please add:

No frickin' short tacking! When you are riding out, away from the beach, pass over the kickers and jump if you can/want to, and then KEEP GOING OUT for a 100+ meters. By turning around, back to the beach, immediately after going over the last bump/swell, you are basically blocking the whole landing zone for those that were waiting for the next set of kickers to do a jump. A lot of the guys won't expect you to turn around in the usual landing zone and might have already taken off on a big jump, expecting you to be well clear of their estimated landing zone, so then you become an unexpected obstacle that they might crash into.

ALWAYS look behind you BEFORE tacking back to the beach to make sure no one is behind you / coming in for a landing.

Also, in general, if you're not comfortable jumping over big white water to get out back, don't rig up on the beach in the first place on a big swell day. If you can't handle/navigate waves, go to Langebaan.
These users thanked the author Strekke for the post (total 3):
Onda (Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:39 pm) • Hugh2 (Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:25 pm) • Van Hunk (Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:59 am)
Rating: 9.09%

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:27 pm

Van Hunk wrote:

VH
Good rules for any spot.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:45 pm

Most crowded spots got these issues in my opinion.

Nothing like the feeling of someone jumping upwind from you, losing the edge, for then to fly towards you at high speed without any control.

Agree with Strekke as well.

Kind of amazing that such basic things are still not universally adhered to.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
ELI (Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:37 pm)

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:36 pm

Doesn't the rider going out in the waves have right of way or do you count in that in the first 50 m rule? I thought that in all surfing categories surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing and wingsurfing the rider going out in the impact zone has right of way. This is due to that you may need to redirect your way to avoid a breaking wave and also many times ride with almost no speed when trying to go over the white water.
You´re wrong.
When someone rides a wave his direction is 100 % guided by the wave, no chance for flexibility.
I am quite a relaxed person, but I get steamed up very rapidly when someone going out is destroying my wave ride and even provokes a dangerous collision! A rider on a wave always has the right of way.

And this can´t be emphasized enough: When you´re not experienced in crossing heavy breaking waves (breaking closeout over hundreds of meters actually), then stay at home. For your own and others safety.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:07 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:36 pm
You´re wrong.
When someone rides a wave his direction is 100 % guided by the wave, no chance for flexibility.
I am quite a relaxed person, but I get steamed up very rapidly when someone going out is destroying my wave ride and even provokes a dangerous collision! A rider on a wave always has the right of way.

And this can´t be emphasized enough: When you´re not experienced in crossing heavy breaking waves (breaking closeout over hundreds of meters actually), then stay at home. For your own and others safety.
They are talking about on the front in Table View. No way would you want to wave ride there it’s way too dangerous with 100s of kites and a lot flying though the air over 20m up with no control, random heli loops, crashing on landing, kites crashing.
If you want to wave ride in Cape Town go to a spot where there are no guys and girls doing big air. Then it is the rider on wave has right of way but you cannot expect to get that if you mix in with a majority of twin tips and if you did you would be causing all sorts of trouble as well as be in danger yourself
These users thanked the author leepasty for the post:
Sun (Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 pm)

magnusod
Frequent Poster

Postby magnusod » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:08 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:36 pm
You´re wrong.

Do you have some references to back that up? Here's a link https://kitesurfing-handbook.peterskite ... -way-rules

Here's an extract

In surf:

Kiters leaving the shore (outgoing) have right of way over incoming riders. Riders close to shore or negotiating broken water are more at risk, so they have the right of way

Kiters riding on a wave have right of way over other riders, except for outgoing riders as above.

I definitely know that the rules in windsurfing is that the one going out has right of way and it would be strange if the rules were different in kitesurfing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”