North Orbit 9,12 2021
Duotone NEO 6,8,9
North Comp, Charge 2020
Nobile 666 135
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite size?

Postby BE_Kiter » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:31 am

Aerodynamics is a strange thing. You mention
knotwindy wrote:And rarely did we see folks pick the best side kite for them and their ability & conditions.
In my opinion it is difficult to judge for other people.
I must admit we had also the same discussion years ago on the beach but the conclusion was that it is so subjective not worth to discuss.

Even if you want to approach this matter scientifically: just check the North Orbit recommendation chart.
Let's say is blows 18 knots with gusts to 22 knots, which is 80% of my kites days, you can can basically use every kite from 7 to 14 m2 following the chart. And the thing is it is actually also true and possible.
NKB_MY23_PDP_SIZE-CHART_ORBIT_3000X3800PX_1500x.jpg

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:44 pm

I agree with others, I feel like I choose the correct kite 90% of the time. I like to be at about 85% powererd on a strapless surfboar. and about 110% on a TT. On the foil I won't the smallest kite that will get my ass out of the water.

galzohar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Old school and kiteloops
Gear: Duotone Rebel 13m 2023
North Orbit 9m 2023
North Atmos Carbon 138x41

Postby galzohar » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:48 pm

For freestyle I had to pick the exact kite size, as the wind range for unhooking is very small: 15-18 knots 14m, 18-21 knots 10m, 21-24 knots 8m. Once too strong to unhook, went back to 10m for jumping and looping until 30 knots, then 8m for 30-40 knots (at these strong winds one should measure the gusts, not the average wind).

Now for old school I use my Rebel 13m until 22 knots, then above that I can loop my 9m Orbit, which works well until 35 knots and can survive with it until almost 40 (in storm conditions, can probably handle more/better in flat conditions), and days with more than 35 knots are so rare they might not justify keeping another kite, although I might consider it if I get a good deal.

Often I ride my 13m when people are on 9s and 10s, but I don't consider myself overpowered before 23+ knots. I can ride my 9m from 18 knots or so, but it's not fun and I prefer the 13m.

universalflush
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: North Orbit 7, 9, North Reach 12

Postby universalflush » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:14 pm

BE_Kiter wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:31 am
Aerodynamics is a strange thing. You mention
knotwindy wrote:And rarely did we see folks pick the best side kite for them and their ability & conditions.
In my opinion it is difficult to judge for other people.
I must admit we had also the same discussion years ago on the beach but the conclusion was that it is so subjective not worth to discuss.

Even if you want to approach this matter scientifically: just check the North Orbit recommendation chart.
Let's say is blows 18 knots with gusts to 22 knots, which is 80% of my kites days, you can can basically use every kite from 7 to 14 m2 following the chart. And the thing is it is actually also true and possible.

NKB_MY23_PDP_SIZE-CHART_ORBIT_3000X3800PX_1500x.jpg
My experience with Norths recommendations is that you have to add 5 knots to the low end to actually have an enjoyable experience with 80 KG and a twin tip. Nobody can ride with a 12m Orbit in 10 knots on a twin tip.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:37 pm

2 things
First, the folks on here on not necessarily representative of the average kiter
Second, we all think we are on the right size always but as an example
I was in a room with maybe 100 people & the speaker asked “how many of you think there are a lot a bad drivers on the roads these days?” and almost every hand went up. Then she asked “how many of you think you are a bad driver?” and no hands went up. So, where are all these bad drivers?

If I see someone slogging 80% of the time and not in the waves I can come to the conclusion safely that they could be having more fun. If I see someone bent at the waist and not able to hold an edge 60% of the time and getting drag onto the beach I can safely conclude they could be having more fun.

I was just curious if this happens other places also or just at the two places I ride the most. I suppose I could blame it on tourists who don’t know/understand the area and its patterns yet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”