knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite size?

Postby knotwindy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:44 pm

So, I was helping a friend learn to kite safely and away from most other people and when we got to how to pick the right kite size for the conditions (wind, water, forecast, etc) and got back to the main area with others we both noticed that;
some folks always pick the smallest kite possible, even if it not enough to be fun
some folks always pick the largest kite possible, even if it too much to be fun
some folks always pick the same size kite, whether it is too big or small to be fun
And rarely did we see folks pick the best side kite for them and their ability & conditions.

Same where you ride or just a local thing? We tried to figure out why and got basically nowhere. Which of these are you and why?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kite size?

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:50 pm

I pick my largest (and only) size: 18. And I have tons of fun.

But I barely see anyone where I ride who picks very powered...mostly normal powered to just go back and forth and jump here and there.

In general everyone is fine, but also due to pretty consistent wind between 15-25 knots. If you live in a very gusty area where winds come and go it is hard to find the right size.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:59 pm

Did they tell you they were not having fun?

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:03 pm

Some LIKE to ride overpowerd, some LIKE to ride underpowered. Everyone should do what they like, even if YOU don't like it.
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:09 pm) • lifeinthehood (Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:38 am)
Rating: 6.06%

DefyInertia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
Local Beach: Bay Area, CA
Style: Why not
Gear: F-One Bandit
SLINGSHOT Misfit
Nobile NHP Split
Directional

Postby DefyInertia » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:14 pm

I feel pretty confident I always pick the right size and my sense is others do as well.

Weight of the rider is a major major factor and it’s sometimes hard to tell how much someone weighs. I often ask people and am sometimes surprised how far off my internal guess of their weight was.

I don’t look 92kg so people often comment on how large of a kite I’m putting up (my 12 m bandit gets the most use), and I ride a 147cm SLINGSHOT misfit most of the time, but I never get into trouble being over powered.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:52 pm

I try to pick the right size of kite for current condition, if I'm underpower I try to learn some oldschool tricks like backroll/frontroll kiteloops, grabs etc,. If I'm on powered side of spectrum I go for jumps and train good take off technique with some loops. If I ride and my bar is almost fully sheet out I go back to beach and change for smaller kite If I have time as long as there is enough wind for me to go upwind I'm happy because there is always something new to learn!
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post:
ham-er (Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:57 pm

Agree, most are "correctly" powered is also my experience.

Only if pretty new, you can be quite off - but it will settle over time so you get the "perfect" size for you.

The last two words, as you have already figured, the most important.

If I ride on a kite hydrofoil I almost always go with the smallest possible kite, feels better and you have more fun and agility carving around like you please.

With a waveboard, I go for the medium powered one so able to ride DTL freely and still go upwind fast - a narrow band where sise is important.

Some like to jump high, picking the sweet spot size.
Others want hangtime on cost of a slower kite, and pick a big kite.

And you could go on and on.

But rare to see some picking the wrong size, and if they do, usually they/we just go ashore and change :D
Or, if just a little off personal sweetspot for a given day - it will be sweetspot for some moves requiring a less or more powered kite, spot on from SolarSet :thumb:

8) Peter

ham-er
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 95kg
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone Enduro V1 6m
Ozone Catalyst 2012 8m
Ozone Edge V8 10m
Ozone Enduro V3 12m
Ozone Zephyr V6 17m

Airush Switch 145x44
Cabrinha Xcaliber 138x42

Postby ham-er » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 pm

My guess is it's a lot to do with personal preference. Some prefer to ride over, some underpowered, some might have different type or brand kite and find themselves enjoying a particular kite more and might choose one over another, others simply don't have the right size for the day with them.
There's also beginners who have no clue or just trying to figure it out.

Conditions often change during your session and even though you started on a perfect size, 30 min later you may wish you picked a bigger one or vice versa.

I sometimes deliberately choose a different size to the optimal one to test myself or the kite at different conditions especially when I have the option to switch in case I made a horrible mistake.

Bottom line, unless you mess up the choice completely like taking 17m when its nuking 30kn, each kite will be within its wind range at some point during a session. Sometimes enjoying gusts other time enjoying lulls

Either way it's fun to be out on the water :thumb:

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:13 am

ham-er wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 pm
Conditions often change during your session and even though you started on a perfect size, 30 min later you may wish you picked a bigger one or vice versa.
That's when knowing the wind forecast (winds building or subsiding) and your local conditions helps. I've been out for what I call the "Happy Hour" many times when the wind came up for 1 hour and then dropped (local thermals - mostly spring time). But sometimes the wind does what it wants to do and we get surprised. The first time I flew my 21m Speed 5 the winds were forecast 11-14 knots. When my session was over I was surprised that it was blowing 18 knots. Sometimes the forecasts are not accurate (meteorology is not an exact science).
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:26 am)

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:10 am

I agree with others, I feel like I choose the correct kite 90% of the time. I like to be at about 85% powererd on a strapless surfboard, and about 110% on a TT. On the foil I want the smallest kite that will get my ass out of the water.
Last edited by Boston kiter on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Boston kiter for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:26 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”