Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Woo Feedback

Forum for kitesurfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Woo Feedback

Postby fernmanus » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:15 am

A couple ideas that would increase my enjoyment of the Woo:

1. Please add at least a few seconds to the maximum hang-time to record a jump. Really high jumps on moderate sized kites often do not record. 30 second jumps are not uncommon for a good number of riders.
2. Why so many updates recently? Could you limit them to once a month and allow user to record the session first (I have lost sessions to the mandatory firmware updates).

Thank you for listening and I wish you continued success!

LePhasme
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Woo Feedback

Postby LePhasme » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:33 am

I'm gonna call bullshit on the "30s jumps are not uncommon for a good number of riders", if you look at the top 10 in the woo leaderboard none of them has a max air time above 15s, you could say that woo discard jumps longer than that, but odds would be high that a very long jump in time would be also very high and I think all those pro riders would have raised it with woo.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:48 am

Totally agree about the option to first upload your session before update!
Now i always quickly close the app and opened it again to prevent that notification and that sometimes works. a small cross in the top right solves everything...

WOO Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Big Air Freestyle Freeride
Brand Affiliation: WOO

Postby WOO Kite » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:07 am

Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback!

We know long hangtimes can be an issue for a select few of riders (Jamie Overbeek - famous example) and are trying to improve on that front. Main problem, for those unfamiliar, is that noise error in the measured signal is amplified exponentially over time. The algorithm can account for a certain amount of error but with very long airtime it can struggle to find an acceptable solution and discard the jump. Basically, we could instantly allow for "longer" airtimes but that could lead to some funky results which is why we prefer to go the long route and improve the foundation. So yes, we are working on "adding at least a few seconds to the maximum hang-time to record a jump" but it will not happen over night.

Regarding the updates: you should not lose any sessions when updating your WOO! This was different in the past but unless you are running super old firmware on your WOO sensor, all sessions should remain and are ready to be uploaded right after you update your device.

We hope this helped.

Best Wishes,

WOO H.Q.
These users thanked the author WOO Kite for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:31 pm

Great job team Woo! Over time you have added heaps of new functions and functionality.
These users thanked the author dejavu for the post:
WOO Kite (Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:21 am

I'm gonna call bullshit on the "30s jumps are not uncommon for a good number of riders", if you look at the top 10 in the woo leaderboard none of them has a max air time above 15s, you could say that woo discard jumps longer than that, but odds would be high that a very long jump in time would be also very high and I think all those pro riders would have raised it with woo..
The reason you don’t see longer hang-times is because the software dumps longer jumps. It is not unusual in gusty conditions to loop the kite and then loop it again. A few loops and the time limit expires. Another setup is a location where there is an uplift due to nearby terrain features and/or a strong thermal, so instead of getting ripped off the water, you get a slower lift and descent. A third setup is snow kiting by a hill, The wind going up the hill makes for incredible lift, but it can be hard to get back down to register a jump.

The Woo records a specific type of jump, go up and down quickly. I am not saying that the longer jumps are record breaking, but it is a bummer when you go say 17 meters high for over 13 seconds and the jump doesn’t record and then you look at your session and the highest recorded jump is 12 meters high.

A big thanks to Woo for looking at this issue.

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:08 am

"Regarding the updates: you should not lose any sessions when updating your WOO! This was different in the past but unless you are running super old firmware on your WOO sensor, all sessions should remain and are ready to be uploaded right after you update your device." I've just updated and lost my big air session, the woo only uploaded the distance session, all jumps lost, I'm using the garmin watch so jumps saved on garmin. As a side note, the notifications are still not being removed permanently on the Android app.

bittersvolcom
Rare Poster
Weight: 82
Style: Big Air & Strapless Freestyle
Gear: Ozone Edge V11 8 & 10
Ozone Enduro V4 7, 9 & 12
LIEUWE Shotgun 136
Appletree Malus Domestica 5.2

Postby bittersvolcom » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 am

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:08 am
"Regarding the updates: you should not lose any sessions when updating your WOO! This was different in the past but unless you are running super old firmware on your WOO sensor, all sessions should remain and are ready to be uploaded right after you update your device." I've just updated and lost my big air session, the woo only uploaded the distance session, all jumps lost, I'm using the garmin watch so jumps saved on garmin. As a side note, the notifications are still not being removed permanently on the Android app.
Try to download your Session again, this resolved same issue at mine.

LePhasme
Medium Poster
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40

Postby LePhasme » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:46 am

fernmanus wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:21 am
I'm gonna call bullshit on the "30s jumps are not uncommon for a good number of riders", if you look at the top 10 in the woo leaderboard none of them has a max air time above 15s, you could say that woo discard jumps longer than that, but odds would be high that a very long jump in time would be also very high and I think all those pro riders would have raised it with woo..
The reason you don’t see longer hang-times is because the software dumps longer jumps. It is not unusual in gusty conditions to loop the kite and then loop it again. A few loops and the time limit expires. Another setup is a location where there is an uplift due to nearby terrain features and/or a strong thermal, so instead of getting ripped off the water, you get a slower lift and descent. A third setup is snow kiting by a hill, The wind going up the hill makes for incredible lift, but it can be hard to get back down to register a jump.

The Woo records a specific type of jump, go up and down quickly. I am not saying that the longer jumps are record breaking, but it is a bummer when you go say 17 meters high for over 13 seconds and the jump doesn’t record and then you look at your session and the highest recorded jump is 12 meters high.

A big thanks to Woo for looking at this issue.
Yeah I was obviously wrong on that, they cut jumps that last too long, but I still think that jumps longer then 15-20s are very rare (maybe less so for those using foil kites ?).

WOO Kite
Medium Poster
Gear: Big Air Freestyle Freeride
Brand Affiliation: WOO

Postby WOO Kite » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:28 am

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:08 am
If you haven't already, can you please send an email to support@woosports.com with some details on your setup? Then we can have a look. Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”