Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Quick releases opening unintended?

Postby evan » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:24 am

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:01 am
@Toby, do we need a special topic to address the Quick Release problem: 3 women and 3 men (with 2 at the apex of their jump) had their quick release activated. I don't know if it is due to the hand getting close to the QR or a malfunction. It happened to various brand, however, the manufacturer behind those QR may well be the same.
Wow is this really happening more often now? Seems like the designers chased a path to have the QR open with the least amount of force necessary.

I noticed the same in my quest in designing a quick release when I tested a few known chickenloops and the force to release them stayed below 2kg up to 300kg loads.

In my opinion that makes them too sensitive to accidental release and it would be better if they put some stronger bungees into their design to push the release force into the 4-6kg range under all loads. Curious what others think about is.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Re: Quick releases opening unintended?

Postby Baptiste_FR » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:34 am

During the live commentary, Ruben had an idea, that has to be sutdied. At first (after the first big crash) Ruben said : "We dont want a quick release during Big Air competition" to which Lewis replied "But Ruben, we alos have to think about the average kitesurfer".
After Casati crash, Ruben then proposed "Maybe we could use a 2 step quick release for Big Air competition". That might be a good idea.

I agree with you Evan, I think that QR has become very sensitive, especially the model with the "seatbelt system". It is great to re-arm the QR, but you just have to push a few millimeters to activate it. With the old model, you have to push it all the way through to release.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:42 am

Ah yes, forgot about the travel distance to open. You want that to be be longer rather than shorter.

Ditching the QR altogether is not a good thing, especially in big air competition, but then the release must be designed in such a way it can never ever open unintentionally! The way it is now seems to create more dangerous situations than it solves.

foilkite90
Rare Poster
Local Beach: le morne
Favorite Beaches: mauricio
Style: foil
Gear: ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilkite90 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:35 am

Crazy, i hope Lorenzo is okey
Attachments
6C69DB8E-8D02-4704-9C16-046F3BD90C96.jpeg

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:01 pm

The riders in these big air events should probably be using a different release than what comes stock.
Race car drivers etc don’t use a standard seatbelt, they use what makes sense for extreme competition. Not a great comparison, but you get the point.
The average rider may want an easy to activate and easy to reassemble release, but these big air scenarios should have something more catered to what they are doing. At this point at least, its up to the riders themselves to make sure the gear is satisfactory and if its not, to customize it.
If in fact an unwanted release is what happened with lorenzos drop, they will probably start thinking about this more at this point and taking matters into their own hands with a two stage mod or whatever.
They are so overpowered sometimes it would also be unsafe not to be using a fast release, but maybe this unintended drop scenario is more common… a lot to consider.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:13 pm

I hope so too…didn’t read any update.

There will always be problem with gea, since these are very extreme conditions and tricks.

So far the sport got lucky, but unfortunately be prepared for worse to come. As a reader of many accidents and gear failure, plus personal experiences, a lot can happen. Control your luck, and be aware of consequences.
Luckily our situation is better than being eg a para glider or parachutes if things go wrong.

But for those riders it makes sense to have a QR that needs more force to be activated. The designers need to think about it, and after the competition yesterday I am sure it is a big topic within this scene.

Fingers crossed for the future that we won’t see that again.

And wishing speedy recovery to everyone who was injured yesterday, also the ones without a QR opened.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:19 pm

Who has the QR opened?

I know Lorenzo had two, who else?

It can happen if your arm or board hits the release, I had this happening too, luckily I never rode in extreme conditions.
Specially when you get into a rotation and pull the board towards you, it can be activated.

Another problem is, if the chicken loop slips of…while you don’t notice it can hang on its edge for a while after a crash…and then suddenly under pressure slip off completely. I also had this happening to me…so be aware after a crash and check if the loop is correctly on the harness hook!

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:39 pm

It is probably not easy to tune the collar distance required for the release but it is relatively easy to tune a collar bungee to increase load required. I have also used insulation tape calibrated to the width I wanted for a particular breaking force. But of course sh1t will still happen. Always found the insulation tape easy to break when the adrenaline is up. Can also leave a tab on the tape to make it easy to remove if a scenario calls for it. Probably not for everyone!! :lol:

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:34 pm

During Lord of Tram, it happened to :
- Karlie Thoma, Nathalie Lambrecht and Lana Herman
- Aaron Hadlow, Lorenzo Casati and another rider during his jump but can't remeber who

It is the first time that so many happened during the same competition. Quick Release fabric is probably part of that (or it is a huge coïncidence)
These users thanked the author Baptiste_FR for the post:
Toby (Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:35 pm

there is no reason for a QR to open unintentionally I don't care if you are in king of the air or out for a sunday sesh. Sure in big air it's spectacular and might kill you or break your legs, but if you are in light wind a beginner, and the QR opens by itself, you can get into a situation where you might have difficulty getting back to shore and that can be deadly too.

No QR should release that easily. None. Not for big air not for pros not for beginners. It needs to release only when you want it to release.

I think we have all had an unintentional QR release and not a single person whot that happened to said "Oh I'm so glad my QR released all by itself." Not one.

FIX IT!

If that means changing the standards then do that.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Clew In (Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”