Local Beach: St Kilda
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Phoenix

Postby runner1 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:28 pm

Faxie wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:56 pm
zegermans wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:39 pm
A brand like naish should have higher aspirations than to also have standard stitched 3 strut kite that does everything well but nothing exceptional. Good enough is the enemy of better.
Did any of their previous aspirations stood the test of time? Sigma shape, Octopus inflation... Coming up with something new is nice and all, but it still has to stick. And they have introduced (and discontinued) too many different models over the years that nobody really cared for. Their only saving grace was the Pivot, and that kite serves a market it wasn't originally intended for. Also, Supermodel is the real Pivot now. My guess is people a losing their connection with the brand. Too much competition with better defined ranges. And don't get me started on their bar...
Octopus inflation was great, I am convinced they only gave it away to appease keyboard warriors who were the vast majority whinging about it. Having owned a lot of Naish (and lots of other kites) I would pay a (small) premium for octopus. i thought sigma kites were also good, just not ‘trendy’.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:36 pm

dzincha wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:22 am
Anyone can comment Phoenix topend? Lowend is great, but what about topend?
Is 9m usable at 30-40 knots?
Definitely at 30 knots. I have had mine out in more than that, and it pulled like a truck, but damn fun. I do find it hard to say exactly what the wind was...because the wind meter showed 35+ but it was on a point on land and wind conditions change on the water.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:39 pm

runner1 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:28 pm

Octopus inflation was great, I am convinced they only gave it away to appease keyboard warriors who were the vast majority whinging about it. Having owned a lot of Naish (and lots of other kites) I would pay a (small) premium for octopus. i thought sigma kites were also good, just not ‘trendy’.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I agree. I liked how clean the octopus felt..that said I guess the new system is easier to repair tho I didn't feel the octopus was a big hassle to repair..I never kept kites for 10+ years tho....my buddy had one in the trunk of his car for well over 8 years in Hawaii and it never had a leak until the material felt more like tissue paper.

Durum
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Big air

Postby Durum » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:14 am

runner1 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:28 pm
Faxie wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:56 pm
zegermans wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:39 pm
A brand like naish should have higher aspirations than to also have standard stitched 3 strut kite that does everything well but nothing exceptional. Good enough is the enemy of better.
Did any of their previous aspirations stood the test of time? Sigma shape, Octopus inflation... Coming up with something new is nice and all, but it still has to stick. And they have introduced (and discontinued) too many different models over the years that nobody really cared for. Their only saving grace was the Pivot, and that kite serves a market it wasn't originally intended for. Also, Supermodel is the real Pivot now. My guess is people a losing their connection with the brand. Too much competition with better defined ranges. And don't get me started on their bar...
Yup not long ago I decided to take a 9m Naish Cult 2009 for a ride (kite was barely used) and it actually flew very well, it felt like a 5strut pivot, very stable, very sporty and quite fast. For being almost 15 years old it flew quite similar as todays kites, well except for the kite deflating mid lagoon because the valves(which still looked very good) delaminated, probably the glue that gave away.
I actually don't really understand the hate for the sigma-series, okay the shape is pretty weird, relaunch was probably a bit worse than the regular kites, but nothing dramatic and the actually flew very well!

Mathes
Rare Poster
Gear: Evo 7m, Naish Phoenix 9m, rebel 11m
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mathes » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:11 pm

So I bought the Naish phoenix in 9m because I needed a new one. I bought it because it was really cheap and durable. Now I had a few sessions in Cabarete in Winds between 16 and 33 kn.

And I can say that the kite is definitely worth the money. I am the type of rider that likes to jump a lot. With rotations and one foot and board off. And therefore it is really good. The Hangtime is pretty impressive. Downloops and Heli loops work good as well.

It definitely is a powerful kite and pull quite a bit but in a nice way I would say. It’s good in light wind. Except the relaunch that’s not too easy.

In stronger wind it’s good as well. Not crazy high end but it depowers well.

If you have any other specific questions let me know.
These users thanked the author Mathes for the post:
martrench (Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:57 pm

Thanks for the reviews - do you guys always use the High V adapter included?

Mathes
Rare Poster
Gear: Evo 7m, Naish Phoenix 9m, rebel 11m
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mathes » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:50 am

I acually use an even higher v split. But I’m kind can’t do it different because I have an older bar which I can’t use with a low v.

Return to “Kitesurfing”