Re: North Reach or Orbit

Postby mati » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:41 pm

dp19 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 pm
THORO wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:30 pm
mati wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:25 am
I use a 12 m reach for foiling and light Wind kiting and 9+7 orbits for boosting and loops.
If you are a beginner foiling, don't try to go with the smaller kite possible. Big kites are easier to learn takes and most of the tricks since they give you more lift and time to to do the maneuver. Also if you want to jump, landings are easier with a bigger kite.
I don’t understand why I should use a 12 as i really don’t like it: it get overpowered too easily and low end is the same as if the 9 don’t float in the air the 12 neither…. Maybe because a I use a 1200cm2 front wing.

Blackened wrote: So your effective wind-range for the twintip is ~22-35kn?

You could technically cover that with a 10m Orbit, but 35kn is tapping out wind on that size at your weight. 22-28kn is typically where I fly the 10m. The Reach will give you better low end, but you'll probably need 25kn for it to be fun.

I pseudo just went through this exercise. Assuming you don't typically get many 30-35 days, I would probably go for the 9m Code Zero for foiling until 20ish, then get the 10m Orbit to cover the TT. If you get a reasonable amount of 30+ days, then get a 9m Reach to cover the sub-25kn a bit better.
32/35kn measured are few days or early morning (we have more stronger days but these are very gusty so I don’t go out, it isn’t fun unless you use a surfboard and a 5m) the 90% days I use the tt now is from 20kn to whatever… usually I come to the spot and I see it’s a tt day or I go foilin’ and I bring the tt anyway… if I am too op with the foil usually I can have fun with the tt and jump at least some meter

9 code zero is a big kite for foiling… i would prefer a 7… these are more fun and as I couldn’t waterstart in too much low wind (probably around 10kn) I could get back to shore before it’s too late 😝

About the orbit instead: I think a 10 would be better but I usually love the nines (as everybody I think…) so I am waiting to test them… but maybe the orbit need too much more wind compared to the reach, a reach 9 woukd be perfect (tested it in low wind with 20m lines)
Wolf of Ainsdale wrote: Get the reach. Everyone I know has gone from an all rounder like the reach through specific kites like the orbit for boosting and eventually come back to an all rounder. Unless you are just into boosting as high as possible it's the reach. This will allow you to surf and foil with the one kite as you say. I have 7 9 12 reach and use them for foiling directional and jumping (although I'm not bothered about maximising height with a dedicated kite). Reach has a great low end for foiling although I have just invested in a ufo quiver for the drift in surf.
With the TT I am all about freeridin and boosting as high as I can and looping but boost higher it’snot the reason why I would pick the orbit instead of the reach, i would pick the orbit because every heavy rider that i would listen keep saying to just pick an orbit because there’s no comparison for our weight

I rode 10M Orbit Pro and 12 reach when the wind was around 18-22 knots. I weigh at around 55 kgs.
I used the 12 reach on days at aronud 13-16 ish knots.

From my personal experience, the lighter wind days with more progression generally came from the reach. For me the Orbit Pro has more hangtime but using the reach made everything a little bit quicker and it translated over generally well for me.

Huge fan of the 9 orbit but for looping I just felt the 10 was looping a fraction slower but it was more steady in the air especially when there were gusts.
Reach then again is more compatible with other disciplines while Orbit my personal preference tends to be just a lot of big air. The reach is very snappy.
Do you have a 2024 or 2022/23 Reach?

THORO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2023
Weight: 100
Gear: North Gong Plkb Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby THORO » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:23 pm

Got moto cabrinha 9/12 but i know reach 22/23 and 24

dp19
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 125
Favorite Beaches: Akyaka
Barcares
Misty Cliffs
Tarifa
Style: Big Air
Gear: 2024 Orbit Pro (9, 10)
2024 Reach (12)

Postby dp19 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:25 pm

mati wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:41 pm
dp19 wrote:
THORO wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:30 pm

I don’t understand why I should use a 12 as i really don’t like it: it get overpowered too easily and low end is the same as if the 9 don’t float in the air the 12 neither…. Maybe because a I use a 1200cm2 front wing.

32/35kn measured are few days or early morning (we have more stronger days but these are very gusty so I don’t go out, it isn’t fun unless you use a surfboard and a 5m) the 90% days I use the tt now is from 20kn to whatever… usually I come to the spot and I see it’s a tt day or I go foilin’ and I bring the tt anyway… if I am too op with the foil usually I can have fun with the tt and jump at least some meter

9 code zero is a big kite for foiling… i would prefer a 7… these are more fun and as I couldn’t waterstart in too much low wind (probably around 10kn) I could get back to shore before it’s too late 😝

About the orbit instead: I think a 10 would be better but I usually love the nines (as everybody I think…) so I am waiting to test them… but maybe the orbit need too much more wind compared to the reach, a reach 9 woukd be perfect (tested it in low wind with 20m lines)

With the TT I am all about freeridin and boosting as high as I can and looping but boost higher it’snot the reason why I would pick the orbit instead of the reach, i would pick the orbit because every heavy rider that i would listen keep saying to just pick an orbit because there’s no comparison for our weight

I rode 10M Orbit Pro and 12 reach when the wind was around 18-22 knots. I weigh at around 55 kgs.

From my personal experience, the lighter wind days with more progression generally came from the reach. For me the Orbit Pro has more hangtime but using the reach made everything a little bit quicker and it translated over generally well for me.

Huge fan of the 9 orbit but for looping I just felt the 10 was looping a fraction slower but it was more steady in the air especially when there were gusts.
Reach then again is more compatible with other disciplines while Orbit my personal preference tends to be just a lot of big air. The reach is very snappy.

mati
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -

Postby mati » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:32 pm

dp19 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:25 pm
mati wrote:
dp19 wrote:

Have you tried the 2022/23 to compare? I have a 2022 12 Reach and I don't like it too much. It doesn't boost well, it pulls a lot but it is not fun to ride it.

dp19
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 125
Favorite Beaches: Akyaka
Barcares
Misty Cliffs
Tarifa
Style: Big Air
Gear: 2024 Orbit Pro (9, 10)
2024 Reach (12)

Postby dp19 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:59 pm

mati wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:32 pm
dp19 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:25 pm
mati wrote:

Have you tried the 2022/23 to compare? I have a 2022 12 Reach and I don't like it too much. It doesn't boost well, it pulls a lot but it is not fun to ride it.
In the summer of 23 I had rented a 12M Reach in around 10-15 knots just trying to make some fun out of what I could wasn't very fun as the kite was a very used rental that a lot of beginnerrs had used as well so that may have been a part of why I didn't enjoy using it. I enjoy the ''24 a lot better. The kite is very snappy which can often be pleasant or unpleasant really depends on what you do with the kite. The '22 on the other hand moved a lot more smoothly but didn't handle gusts very well for me at least. I can definetly boost higher with a '24 reach but still not as high as any orbit I have used :D

THORO
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2023
Weight: 100
Gear: North Gong Plkb Slingshot

Postby THORO » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:49 pm

Mati reach ‘24 has obv more lateral pull compared to an orbit but compared to the 22/23 the new 24 has better boosting capability and better feel overall ( you can really feel the new different tension in the canopy). Imo the 11 is a great size, the 12mt feels a lot slower… but it still remain a reach.

Ps 11mt+ north kites fly better with the 55cm bar,

Return to “Kitesurfing”