Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cape Town Diary 2023/4

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Cape Town Diary 2023/4

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:16 pm

I am back in Cape Town again after sailing from Fiji to Tonga and back to Fiji and down to New Zealand. As usual I will attempt a daily account of my kiting in Cape Town for the next two months. I am a 68-year-old mediocre kiter, so if you find this boring please ignore this thread.

The forecast was for SE all day and it did not disappoint. Local friend David invited me along on a downwinder from Dolphin Beach to Big Bay, in the morning to avoid the strong wind and crowds in the afternoon, being a weekend. We set up at 9 and the crew included Steph, Mike, Shawn, and Magnusen. I went on 9m and TT, which worked out well for my first session of the season. But the wind had a lot of east in it and hence was gusty once we got past the buildings on Bloubergstrand. Still a good session to try to adapt to the cold water and kickers, something foreign to me after four months in the tropics. Later around noon I had a solo session on 7m, working upwind from Dolphin to get cleaner wind. Then sat on the beach for a while watching a hotshot on a foil board doing megaloops, I am guessing the same guy I saw last season at Langebaan. I decided against an afternoon session, don’t want to get hurt first day. Forecast is good for next week anyway.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post (total 4):
rw30 (Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:37 pm) • Blackened (Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:53 am) • magnusod (Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:24 pm) • Chriz76 (Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:05 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Re: Cape Town Diary 2023/4

Postby CaptainKook » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:33 am

Great to read you're back Hugh2.

I thoroughly enjoy reading your daily posts about kiting and your experiences in CT. Definitely makes me want to spend some time there.

Ride safe and enjoy the next few months 🤙
These users thanked the author CaptainKook for the post:
Hugh2 (Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:42 am

Welcome back Hugh - hope to see you at the beach in the next few days.

Cheers

DK
These users thanked the author decay for the post:
Hugh2 (Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:50 pm)

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:01 pm

Thanks guys. Today was excellent, light in the morning so I got down to Dolphin Beach around 2, rode 9m for a little over an hour. By 4 it was too strong for me even fully trimmed down, and I should have pumped up my 7, but I am struggling with jetlag, 12 hours difference from New Zealand. Instead watched the pros for a while, but that afternoon sun is so intense I went to Blowfish restaurant for their half-price sushi night instead. Wind speeds below are from Milnerton Aquatic Club on Reitvlei, you can see the bump in speed around 3. And then perhaps a better summary, supposedly for Dolphin Beach itself, from a site that is new to me, Capekiting.co.za.
Screen Shot 2023-12-10 at 5.50.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-10 at 5.50.14 PM.png (65.12 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Screen Shot 2023-12-10 at 6.58.27 PM.png

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:12 pm

I look forward to another series of posts on this thread Hugh2. I especially like the solo downwinder and you catching the bus back stories!

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:57 pm

Looking forward to your posting ,won't get there this year

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:54 am

Good to have you back, mate. Love reading this every so often :)

Surf58
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Klitmøller & Ahl, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin beach, Cape Town
Hanstholm, Denmark
Taiba, Brazil
Style: Wave
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters, Naish Slashs
RB63
F-One Mitu Pro
X-board Timo V2
North Comp Dynalite
Matt Archbold
Lieuwe Shotgun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Surf58 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:00 pm

Great to read you are back in Cape Town, looking forward to the posts from the waves.
I'm coming to Cape Town for 3 weeks from mid January, so would be happy to join you on some downwinders
Best Regards

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:11 pm

Thanks all. Yesterday was not enough to head out, plus I had a clogged drain, non-functional toilet, and acting up geyser to fix. Others went to Strand and had fun, there was even a little here. But today was good, strong SEaster all day. The local gang did a downwinder in the morning, but I was getting WiFi installed, so it was mid-afternoon to do a solo downwinder from Kite Beach to Holbaai, my usual. 7m was the call and it was strong enough I had to abandon the idea of strapless board for twintip. Pretty much trimmed down the whole way. I started getting a good feel for jumps again, but felt like a really old man going past Mystic House, every kiter, women included, was throwing megaloops. They look like so much fun if they work out, but I've seen enough bad crashes that I will never try one, I do not need that kind of injury at my age. Rounding the rocks I met up with a guy on a SUP foil who was able to keep up with me, pretty impressive as I was riding fast toeside straight downwind on the swells. Big Bay had some decent swell coming through, but the real fun, as usual, was the section beyond that. Wonderful waves, some really quite big when their crescent shape peaks, one of which got me as I tried to slide through under it on toeside, and tumbled me off my board and I dropped the kite, but got it back up before the next wave, otherwise I would have had to release completely. I've torn too many kites in half by not releasing quickly enough and a wave catches it. As usual by Haakgat I was getting tired, so happy to land at Holbaai and along with two Germans on strapless boards with 5m kites, caught the bus back. Nice day, others had lots of fun too. Forecast for the next three days is SEaster late afternoon, I may try some longer downwinders, and strapless for a change.
Screen Shot 2023-12-12 at 7.57.32 PM.png

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:13 pm

The forecast was spot on today, a light wind in the morning that a few tried but did not enjoy, followed by a lull around lunch, and then it filled in again by 3. I was on the water at 3:30 at Kite Beach, 7m Pivot and strapless surfboard (an older 6 ft Naish Global). By then folk at Mystic were getting going, but only a few, and noone beyond there, which is always a little concerning as sometimes the SEaster takes a while to move up the coast, and you don't want to get stuck going around the rocks to Big Bay, been there done that. So I rode in place for a while, going fairly far out in hopes of seeing kites at Big Bay, and soon enough they appeared, so around the rocks I went. I never really enjoy Big Bay, I'm not sure what attracts people to the place, but today the hotshot foiler who does megaloops was there, riding in the smooth water on the south end of the bay. Very impressive riding too. Anyway, by now I was getting more comfortable on the surfboard, first time in waves since February, and headed further north into the fun part, and it was lovely. I am not good enough to slash turns off the top of waves let alone make the kind of radical bottom turns some folk do, instead I turn on a wave, riding regular going out and carving to toeside and then try to slide through the bottom of the wave crescent and out the other side, or bail midway straight out. It is risky and yesterday on the twintip I got rolled, but today I escaped each time. And then a lovely heelside carve in shallow flat water leads back out to the next wave. And this long slalom run last untils my thighs are burning, at which point I tack out to sea for a break and a change of stance. And all too soon the fun was over and it was around the rocks to Haakgat and Holbaai for the bus. Noone else was out from Big Bay to Holbaai, amazing to have it all to myself. Back at Kite Beach I briefly entertained the possibility of a twintip session, but I was a bit cold from falling in a few times, so called it quits. Tomorrow is likely a repeat.
Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 7.56.52 PM.png
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
CaptainKook (Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:03 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”