Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aluula 3 strut - Evo vs NVision vs Hypermodel

Forum for kitesurfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Aluula 3 strut - Evo vs NVision vs Hypermodel

Postby fernmanus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:26 am

I am curious if anyone has tried all 3 kites. I am thinking of buying a 14m. We often have wind that starts off moderate and then drops. So start on a twin tip and then go to a foilboard.

I am curious how the kites rank in the following areas:
1. Boosting & Hangtime
2. Bar pressure - lighter is better in my book
3. How each kite is for foiling. Yeah, I know a 14 is not optimal for foiling, but I plan to do some boosting on the foilboard as well.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Shivix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Ijsselmeer / Markermeer / Wijk aan Zee / Ijmuiden / Camperduin
Style: Freeride / Big Air
Gear: 7m Slingshot Machine v1
7m Cabrinha Chaos 2016
8m Ten Velox
8m Cabrinha FX 2016
8m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro #2
9m Slingshot Machine v1
9m Cabrinha Contra 1s
10m North Orbit '23
11m Flysurfer Sonic 3
12m Flysurfer Soul 1
18m Flysurfer Sonic 2

Carved Imperator 6 139
North Atmos Carbon 2022 136
Duotone Jaime SLS 2021 136

Moses T38, Slingshot Alien Air, Moses m91 mast, w683s + s450, w548 + s325
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aluula 3 strut - Evo vs NVision vs Hypermodel

Postby Shivix » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:49 am

Considered a foilkite as well? More low end, more performance, cheaper, more durable.

A 12m soul or sonic4 will get you anything a 14m of the above gets you, but way more high end and low end on the foil. With my 12m soul I foil from 7 to 15 knots and twintip till 26 knots. It stays in the air in 4 kn and relaunches from 5 knots. No tube will do that.

As for the above kites I only tried the 13m evo dlab in the low end (13-18kn). It was a magnificent kite although for that windrange quite boring as any tubekite will be. The downloops and low kiteloop tricks were amazing though. I do have questions about the durability of that kite.

So boosting - in low end quite boring. Okay hangtime, not less or more than an average 5 strut in these wind conditions. Bar pressure: amazing feel. I haven't foiled with it. But I can imagine it is only nice in these sizes for like 8-12kn and then getting overpowered extremely quickly in that size.
These users thanked the author Shivix for the post:
nothing2seehere (Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 15m Juice | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:25 pm

Fernmanus, no experience but there is no 14m evo, only a 14m juice.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:41 pm

If you're looking for something in the 14m range for boosting, hangtime, and foiling, you should be considering the Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5. Boosting and hangtime it is fantastic! Very light steering. They only offer it in Aluula now, so it is the lightest of all of those kites. I foil mine pretty often and enjoy jumping it. I like the drift of the Crave a little better, but they don't make it bigger than 12.
These users thanked the author SENDIT! for the post:
fernmanus (Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:56 am

Shivix wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:49 am
I do have questions about the durability of that kite.
Aluula material being on market for years now with initial exclusive use with Ocean Rodeo kites and there aren't that many report about problems with this. They are more difficult to repair and more expensive but this is somehow obvious to me, premium material cost premium to repair, feels like not brainer for to me?
All this noise about Aluula durability sounds like noise about electrical cars fires, every incident gets media cover while none reports when combustion engine car gets on fire.

Not interested in Aluula myself but would be happy to consider when price is similar to Dacron.

Shivix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Ijsselmeer / Markermeer / Wijk aan Zee / Ijmuiden / Camperduin
Style: Freeride / Big Air
Gear: 7m Slingshot Machine v1
7m Cabrinha Chaos 2016
8m Ten Velox
8m Cabrinha FX 2016
8m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro #2
9m Slingshot Machine v1
9m Cabrinha Contra 1s
10m North Orbit '23
11m Flysurfer Sonic 3
12m Flysurfer Soul 1
18m Flysurfer Sonic 2

Carved Imperator 6 139
North Atmos Carbon 2022 136
Duotone Jaime SLS 2021 136

Moses T38, Slingshot Alien Air, Moses m91 mast, w683s + s450, w548 + s325

Postby Shivix » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:42 am

SolarSet wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:56 am
Shivix wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:49 am
I do have questions about the durability of that kite.
Aluula material being on market for years now with initial exclusive use with Ocean Rodeo kites and there aren't that many report about problems with this. They are more difficult to repair and more expensive but this is somehow obvious to me, premium material cost premium to repair, feels like not brainer for to me?
All this noise about Aluula durability sounds like noise about electrical cars fires, every incident gets media cover while none reports when combustion engine car gets on fire.

Not interested in Aluula myself but would be happy to consider when price is similar to Dacron.
Not worried about aluula, more the overall durability of the rest of the product (bladders, canopy, valves). Of course it is built as a high performance kite so it's not that durable, but from the examples I've seen people are disappointed in the wear and tear after only a couple sessions of use.

suisd12
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby suisd12 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:10 am

Do expect some more durability problems with aluula. We did have two struts braking off, exploding in the same family and know some other friends with issues. Comparing to for example the sls i saw a bit too many problems and duotone not great in helping out.Still buying the big ones though because it is a gamechanger. But expect the costs per session to be much higher as reselling value will also dissapoint if the aluula starts showing cracks at age

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:27 am

I don't see that many Aluula kites on sale nor people complaining about quality. Do you expect kite to fail in less than 100 sessions or something? Warranty should cover 2 years of use (in EU).
We should see people showing this high kite material degradation on Ocean Rodeo Aluula kite but I don't see people posting worn kites or I'm not paying attention enough!

I saw people riding 15m Dlab Juice in Tarifa on marginal wind 10-13kts and their low performance was not much better than other people riding large size kites. My biggest worry would be to get disappointed spending at least twice as much on kite but get marginal better low end! As someone said Aluula doesn't at magical m^2 to you kite!

suisd12
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby suisd12 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:36 am

Its not a marginal difference on say a 13m . Never used my normal 15 juice anymore and this dlab moves soo much nicer. Its true the gain is not huge for people who dont move or not move the kite well
If a strut brakes off by turning a kite around on the beach which has not a single sign of wear and is 15 sessions old....

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:40 pm

suisd12 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:10 am
Do expect some more durability problems with aluula. We did have two struts braking off, exploding in the same family and know some other friends with issues. Comparing to for example the sls i saw a bit too many problems and duotone not great in helping out.Still buying the big ones though because it is a gamechanger. But expect the costs per session to be much higher as reselling value will also dissapoint if the aluula starts showing cracks at age
This isn't an issue of the aluula inherently having a problem, this is design or manufacturing flaw. Several companies have kites with aluula, so choose wisely. Generally you hope that you don't need to end up in the warranty process, but if you do, you sure hope it's a company that is easy/pleasant to deal with!

Return to “Kitesurfing”