Pitu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: 2020 Naish Pivot 7,9,12
CrazyFly Raptor
Brand Affiliation: None

(European) car for kitesurfing?

Postby Pitu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:52 am

I'm in the market for a new (2nd hand) car and I would really love to have one where I can just throw all of my gear in the back without having to fold the seats down. So I was wondering whether anyone on here has such a car that's also semi-affordable? Suggestions would be much appreciated!

There are quite a few BWM 3 series station wagons on the market here for a good price, but I fear that the boot space is not quite big enough to fit kiteboards. So, if anyone has one, please do let me know whether it fits boards :)

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Re: (European) car for kitesurfing?

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:20 am

Volkswagen Caddy Maxi fits everything. I just throw my skis in the back without folding the backbench and keep my kites in there all year long just in case. A ski holiday with six people was no problem with it, plus it fits into the narrow driveway of the old building I live in.
These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post:
Pitu (Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

HALF
Frequent Poster
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:57 am

I am using an audi a5 coupe, that when the back seats fold can fit even a longboard (10'), so I think a station wagon would be the same or even better.
Another thing that i do is i actually have a rooftop box that is big enough to hold 2 kiteboards, harnesses, pump and other small bits that i don't remove from the car (things that are not affected by heat), that leaves the boot available for kites, clothes and whatever else i might need. And also the rooftop box is great to stow the wetsuits on the way home as water does not affect it in any way.
These users thanked the author HALF for the post:
Pitu (Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:17 am

Whatever you buy, don´t by a German brand, please (I am German, BTW). All criminal organisations.
There are several super spacious models from Renault, Peugeot for example, very similar to VW´s Caddy but actually larger inside, more practical and much cheaper. Renault Kangoo, Peugeot Partner / Bipper, Citroen Berlingo etc.
They all have one or even two sliding doors in the back for maximum versatility and ease of stuffing everything inside, even the bulkiest stuff.
If you expect to drive more than 10.000 km per year, look out for a diesel version as diesel is significantly cheaper here than gasoline. Specific fuel consumption of the French diesel engines is very low, much lower than comparable gasoline engines / versions.
Diesel engines are more robust and need less maintenance than gasoline engines. No difference between the engine types if you buy a used car.

Pitu
Rare Poster
CrazyFly Raptor

Postby Pitu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:04 am

Onda wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:17 am
Whatever you buy, don´t by a German brand, please (I am German, BTW). All criminal organisations.
There are several super spacious models from Renault, Peugeot for example, very similar to VW´s Caddy but actually larger inside, more practical and much cheaper. Renault Kangoo, Peugeot Partner / Bipper, Citroen Berlingo etc.
They all have one or even two sliding doors in the back for maximum versatility and ease of stuffing everything inside, even the bulkiest stuff.
If you expect to drive more than 10.000 km per year, look out for a diesel version as diesel is significantly cheaper here than gasoline. Specific fuel consumption of the French diesel engines is very low, much lower than comparable gasoline engines / versions.
Diesel engines are more robust and need less maintenance than gasoline engines. No difference between the engine types if you buy a used car.
Ehh I was actually planning to either get a BMW, Volkswagen, Volvo or a Toyota due to the better reliability of older cars (manufactured around 2010). In my experience cars from French and Italian brands are fine when bought new but age significantly worse than cars from the manufacturers I mentioned.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:16 am

B6 passat estate tdi. Cheap as chips to buy. Runs on chip fat. Same boot area as a Ford Mondeo estate but nicer interior for equivalent age car.
Or
Get a board bag. Most cars are wide enough to fit boards width ways across the back seat. Board in the back seat. Kites and wetsuit in the boot/trunk.

My choice for something cheap 'available' in Europe would be the FN/FK Honda civic hatchback (8th Gen) (made in europe but Japanese brand). Cheap, slightly sporty. Loads of room inside. Weird folding cinema seats in the back (used to get 2 mountain bikes in the area the backseats usually occupy). Just remember to check the oil when buying as they are known to drink a bit every now and then.

Pera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 82 kg
Local Beach: Bygdin Lagune. The mountains in Norway
Style: Freeride, jumping, gliding
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades 2015, 2016, 2020,2021
Cabrinha Ace Wood 2018

Postby Pera » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 am

I love my Toyota Land Cruiser VX 2004 (Prado) Bought it new 20 years ago, and now it has passed 540000 Km!
I fold down one of the back seats, and then I can bring my three nephews and my self fully equipped both for snow kiting or kiteboarding everywhere.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:34 pm

Look here for accurate dimensions of car boot space;
https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-review ... car-search

I would stay away from any direct injected petrol car from that era since most have them have issues with carbon build up.

Pitu
Rare Poster
CrazyFly Raptor

Postby Pitu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:42 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:34 pm
Look here for accurate dimensions of car boot space;
https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-review ... car-search

I would stay away from any direct injected petrol car from that era since most have them have issues with carbon build up.
Oh wow this is great, thanks so much!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:13 pm

Pera wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 am
I love my Toyota Land Cruiser VX 2004 (Prado) Bought it new 20 years ago, and now it has passed 540000 Km!
Same model for me with "only" 360,000 km, so almost new :-).
What i like is that i can slide my hydrofoil inside without dismantling anything , even with 100cm mast.

Return to “Kitesurfing”