Forum for kitesurfers
Samee
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite brands easy to travel with

Postby Samee » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:05 pm

Are there certain kite brands that are easier to travel with, lighter, easy to fit in luggage than other?
I have a 9m cabrinha and 11 m slingshot, I always feel that the slingshot bags are way bigger. That's one of the criteria for buying my new kite given that I only kite when I travel.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Re: Kite brands easy to travel with

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:34 pm

Buy smaller minimalistic kite bags for travel. They pack down smaller, and are MUCH lighter than the normal bags that kites come in. You'd be surprised at how much weight a bag adds alone. Mystic, Dakine and Ion all make them and they cost $25-40. Obviously the fewer struts you have the lighter the kite is, so maybe opt for 1 or 3 strut kites if you currently have 5 struts.

mati
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -

Postby mati » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:36 pm

It depends on what model of kite you are riding. 5-struts kite are more bulky than a 3-strut kite. Single strut kites or strutless pack smaller (and lighter), but are all kites for different styles. In terms of packing down, given the same size and number of struts, there are no major differences between brands in size when packed down. You can buy compression bags if you want to pack your kites more compact. Or switch to foilkites if you want the ultimate small bag and no pump required (not my style, but RAM kites have clear benefits in that area)

Wainando
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 73
Local Beach: Zandvoort (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Zandvoort (NL)
Medemblik (NL)
Ijmuiden (NL)
L'almannare (FR)
Denia (ES)
Style: Jump waves, Big air, Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot's
Lieuwe Shotgun board

Postby Wainando » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:34 pm

Ocean Rodeo aluula kites obviously..the lightest and small packed ones in the market. If money is not an issue

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:56 pm

Wainando wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:34 pm
Ocean Rodeo aluula kites obviously..the lightest and small packed ones in the market. If money is not an issue
This is definitely not true as OR do not offer any single strut or 0-strut kites. Losing struts will always trump everything else when it comes to packed size and weight.

If you want the smallest and lightest kites your best bet is probably a Flysurfer Soul/Sonic or Ozone Chrono/Hyperlink as they allow you to skip packing a pump and have massive wind ranges allowing you to take a 1 or 2 kite quiver depending on how big of a range you need to cover.

If you hydrofoil then obviously the FS Peak/Hybrid or Gin Marabou can't be beat, followed by the BRM Clouds or Slingshot UFO.

Vivo3d
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: ~71
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone EVO SLS 2023
Duotone Click Bar
Duotone Select SLS 2023
Mystic Stealth Gen2
O'neill Psycho One 5/4

Postby Vivo3d » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:58 pm

+1 for compression kite bags. If your kites are fine and you only worry about the weight of the bags, replace them with something like the one from ride engine or mystic. If you "need" new kites and you need an excuse for upper management, you can't go wrong with Duotone - doesn't matter what model because all the kite bags are the same just in different color. I don't like them but they weight little and you can compress them really good.

Shivix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Ijsselmeer / Markermeer / Wijk aan Zee / Ijmuiden / Camperduin
Style: Freeride / Big Air
Gear: 7m Slingshot Machine v1
7m Cabrinha Chaos 2016
8m Ten Velox
8m Cabrinha FX 2016
8m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro #2
9m Slingshot Machine v1
9m Cabrinha Contra 1s
10m North Orbit '23
11m Flysurfer Sonic 3
12m Flysurfer Soul 1
18m Flysurfer Sonic 2

Carved Imperator 6 139
North Atmos Carbon 2022 136
Duotone Jaime SLS 2021 136

Moses T38, Slingshot Alien Air, Moses m91 mast, w683s + s450, w548 + s325

Postby Shivix » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:01 am

Flysurfer foilkites. 1 bar 3 kites in 1 kitebag weighing nothing.

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:30 am

I had 10 & 7M before, now 10 & 8 (and since Im big fellow Im not using my smallest kite often), always storing them in one backback when packing the quiver. Then only taking the sack for the other kite.
14M goes separately in 2nd backpack
that pretty much solves my issues with packing / space taken by kites, I got 155 dakine quiver.

Wainando
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 73
Local Beach: Zandvoort (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Zandvoort (NL)
Medemblik (NL)
Ijmuiden (NL)
L'almannare (FR)
Denia (ES)
Style: Jump waves, Big air, Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot's
Lieuwe Shotgun board

Postby Wainando » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:17 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:56 pm
Wainando wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:34 pm
This is definitely not true as OR do not offer any single strut or 0-strut kites. Losing struts will always trump everything else when it comes to packed size and weight.

If you want the smallest and lightest kites your best bet is probably a Flysurfer Soul/Sonic or Ozone Chrono/Hyperlink as they allow you to skip packing a pump and have massive wind ranges allowing you to take a 1 or 2 kite quiver depending on how big of a range you need to cover.

If you hydrofoil then obviously the FS Peak/Hybrid or Gin Marabou can't be beat, followed by the BRM Clouds or Slingshot UFO.
And if you want a 'normal' kite with struts, go for the OR Aluula ones. That better?
And if you have some patience, there will be a AA series Crave coming, 1.6kg for a 10m.

hapa13
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: kooky old man style
Gear: like to try everything

Postby hapa13 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:36 pm

Not sure why anyone would travel with any kite bag at all (compression or otherwise). They simply add weight and take up space. I get that everyone has different needs. But I never take the kite bags on a trip. Folding the kite in half and then folding it in from the wingtips towards the center in 10-15" folds (getting all the air out as you go) is the best method for compact packing. Then I simply lay them flat into my golf or surf style bag (depending on which board I'm bringing). Twin tips don't matter as much since they're generally more durable. But with surfboards, I often wrap a kite around each side of my surfboard and then one on top. It tends to offer a bit of added protection around the board to help minimize the gorilla handling during transit. I usually throw my towel around the nose or tail as well for good measure. Knock on wood, I've yet to have my surfboards damaged flying out or coming back from a trip. That being said, foil kites will usually pack down to nothing, followed by no strut kites, then single stut, etc. But I would personally never buy a kite based specifically on that criteria. If I was only able to kite on travel tips, I'd want the exact model and size that put the biggest smile on my face while on said trip. Afterall, who cares how small the kite packs down to or how light it is if the performance and feel is only mediocre for my specific needs/taste. Personally, my limited free time (vacation) is worth more than that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”