Weight: 85 kilos
Local Beach: El medano
Style: Big air
Gear: Ozone edge
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiting after heart attack

Postby Jsumms » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:55 pm

Hi Jake , yeah taking blood thinners, for 12 months, then reviewed , brilique 90mg, and 3 others , def very lucky and a few months rest cud be the way forward 🤙

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:17 pm

I had a heart attack too, only one stent fitted. In hospital for 5 days, it’s a mandatory thing. Took it easy for about 3 weeks then back on the water. Was very fit before and that probably helped my recovery. That was 5 months ago and a distant memory, pretty much on the water every day, winging or kiting.
Had my follow-up cardiologist appointment at 3 months, no need to go back to see him, get on with life.

But was warned to wear a helmet now, the daily blood thinners and head bumps aren’t a good combo.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
Jsumms (Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Young
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spanish Banks
Favorite Beaches: Spanish Banks
Squamish
Crescent beach
Boundary Bay
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean rodeo crave10m flite 12naish pivot 7
Cabrinha tronic
Jimmy lewis model 3
Has thanked: 0

Postby Young » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:38 am

I had a mild heart attack end of feb. '23 while skiing heavy new snow , chest pain. Went to ER they put one stent in, then out of hospital on day 3. Heavy drug regime; aspirin, blood pressure med., thinners, beta blocker and statin for cholesterol. Doc okayed getting back to skiing end of march but low energy and dizzy spells. Enrolled in a 6 month heart health program with excercise classes, diet and general heart health knowledge seminars along with regular bloodwork and monitoring from cardiologist. Back kiting by end of May but still low energy and dizzy spells. Ended up passing out on a sandbar after a kite session due to over prescribed blood pressure drug. Once that was adjusted, things got almost back to normal. Then started having a lot of lower leg pain , then a partial tear to achilles while kiting. This was due to statin intolerance so had to change statins and drop dosage. Statins suck but seem necessary. Slowly getting my old form back. For me, the most important aspects of recovery were
1. getting the drugs tweaked to right dosages,
2. Took my time with regular and gradually increased excercise regime,
3. major clean up on the diet
4. Having the support of a comprehensive heart health program. I felt like I had a team of health professionals guiding me, which was invaluable.
Error on the side of conservative and take it seriously.
These users thanked the author Young for the post:

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:38 pm

Everybody has a different situation like jake Moore said. Seek professional advice and research exactly were you are at. Kiteboarding and feeling week with chest pain and found myself lying on the beach resting. I was 99 percent blocked, lower arterial descending artery, also called the widowmaker. Had double bypass open heart surgery and was back kiteboarding 3 month later. When your chest is cracked open that is painfull. I now take 6 different prescription medications related to my cardiology. This artery, the left anterior descending (LAD) artery, sends oxygen-rich blood to your heart's left ventricle. This lower chamber pumps oxygen-rich blood to your aorta, which sends it to your body.

These users thanked the author madworld for the post:

Jsumms
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 85 kilos
Local Beach: El medano
Style: Big air
Gear: Ozone edge
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jsumms » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:38 pm

Thanks guys it great to hear the 3 of you are back on the water and thanks for the reply’s 🤙

Return to “Kitesurfing”