vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfboard for big waves

Postby vela99 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Check out the Applepeeler from Appletree which is their dedicated big wave board in the product range.
Nice thin and long rails as well as nice flex for perfect carving and top quality build.

Not cheap though.

I have the 5'7 and very happy. I use straps.
These users thanked the author vela99 for the post (total 3):
1234567Simon (Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:54 am) • PaperKite (Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:01 pm) • Bart van Oers (Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:02 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Has thanked: 0

Postby sflinux » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:38 am

PaperKite wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:26 pm
I'm looking for a directional board for strapless kitesurfing in big waves (double overhead+). Currently I have a Duotone Wam SLS. I'm considering the following options:
- Duotone Session SLS
- North Charge
- Cabrinha phantom
- Slingshot XR

Do you have any recommendations? Any other boards I should consider?
Have you tried riding a quad? Looks like your Duotone WAM SLS is a thruster. I would look into adding a quad to your quiver.
Three fin versus four fin:

I haven't ridden any of those boards but rounded pintails and quads have a nice locked in feel for steep waves. Try running the power fins (large fins) in the rear for more drive, Richard Schmidt has been running this setup for years.
https://surfsplendorpodcast.com/085-richard-schmidt/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LioKLOpBlLs
In big waves I trust riding boards designed by Joe Blair (main shaper for Dick Brewer):
https://www.jblairsurf.com/kite-boards-tow-in-2/
These users thanked the author sflinux for the post:
PaperKite (Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

cmilea
Rare Poster
Local Beach: wadell
Style: surf
Gear: drifters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cmilea » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:14 am

Most production boards are intended to be all around, they will be heavy and produced cheaply in Asia. In adition to this they only make a few sizes .... I would get a custom with XTR construction (tell them it s for kitesurfing) and you can choose from the most popular surfboards models/brands that are actually designed for surfing waves.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:26 am

The Elevate Curl CFT is hand shaped and (made?) in Portugal. I’m pretty sure mine says made in Portugal and is hand signed. I’ll confirm later.
I have the Escape model. The PU construction makes it ride like butter 🧈 No EPS!

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:27 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:26 am
The Elevate Curl CFT is hand shaped and (made?) in Portugal. I’m pretty sure mine says made in Portugal and is hand signed. I’ll confirm later.
I have the Escape model. The PU construction makes it ride like butter 🧈 No EPS!
I was able to confirm. Their CFT boards are Shaped and Made In Portugal. No China made. No EPS. No BS. :nono:
I have some other surfboards, but my two handmade PU boards are definitely better performing (and lighter weight). :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:58 pm

cmilea wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:14 am
Most production boards are intended to be all around, they will be heavy and produced cheaply in Asia. In adition to this they only make a few sizes .... I would get a custom with XTR construction (tell them it s for kitesurfing) and you can choose from the most popular surfboards models/brands that are actually designed for surfing waves.
Not sure I agree with this.

Many brands, not all, has really light (kite)surfboards, IMO too light, but I like them to last a bit longer.

Of course you can get even lighter custom boards, but often they wont last as long, no matter which construction.

8) Peter

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 am

cmilea wrote:
Totally agree with this. I believe the OP is maybe in the SF / Santa Cruz area. Can’t go wrong with a custom Stretch board

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:27 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:58 pm
cmilea wrote:
Not sure I agree with this.

Many brands, not all, has really light (kite)surfboards, IMO too light, but I like them to last a bit longer.

Of course you can get even lighter custom boards, but often they wont last as long, no matter which construction.

8) Peter
Agree 100% and light weight is not a priority for a big wave surfboard at all for two reasons, build strength and not least some added stability when you torpedo down the slope.
(I understand that for big wave surfboards some shapers even put lead into the bottom center line area for added stability which makes sense.)

Return to “Kitesurfing”