Selling gear in brazil

Forum for kitesurfers
Rebel135
Rare Poster
Gear: Duotone Rebel 12m, EVO 8 y 7
Brand Affiliation: None

Selling gear in brazil

Postby Rebel135 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:21 pm

Hey guys, I am playing to make a trip in july/August to brazil (Fortaleza to combuco, tatajuba etc..) I can get a new gear of north orbit 2024 at good price, it's easy to sell there? I have planed to travel and sell full quiver of gear new with out use, and the when I finish my trip sell my used gear (also 2024).

It's easy to sell there? are the price's similar to europe?

Thanks guys!

Vivo3d
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: ~71
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone EVO SLS 2023
Duotone Click Bar
Duotone Select SLS 2023
Mystic Stealth Gen2
O'neill Psycho One 5/4

Re: Selling gear in brazil

Postby Vivo3d » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:43 am

The prices in Brasil for new gear are way higher than Europe. I thought to do same last year but then I couldn't be bothered so I decided to keep it. Maybe will sell it this year.

Seen lots of people do what you are planning to do, there is quiet some stock availability on the 2nd hand market.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:44 am

check in facebook groups of the area for how much gear sells.

you could even put it for sale before and see if there is interest...

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:44 am

I'm Brazilian and already bought a bunch of stuffs from travelers here, even without living in Ceará (*). Toby already gave you the best channel to follow, local Facebook groups. I'd also consider some Brazilian whatsapp groups, since this is by far the most used communicator here, however, you must know someone to add you there and use some translator to post, preferebly, in portuguese -- unfortunately, it's not easy to find Brazilians fluent in English. Send me a PM a month or two before your trip and I can ask some folks to add in local whatsapp groups here.

I know a "gringo" in Europe that come to Brazil with all the equipment already "promised" to buyers here. He brings everything brand new, uses during the trip and delivers by the end of the trip at the airport. In 2021 I bought a bunch of North stuffs from him.

Some tips to help selling equipment here:

1. Don't be too greedy. Imported equipment is expensive here but we expect to pay, for an used equipment, about the same price a "gringo" pay for a brand new equipment or even get some good discount. Rule of thumb: if you've paid 1.5k USD for a kite, don't expect to sell it here for 10k BRL (Brazilian Reais). Take a look for similar equipment in Facebook groups to have an idea of price in BRL. It'll probably be the value in USD x 5;

2. Use an easy payment method like Wise or PayPal. The fastest and easiest payment here is PIX but it's usually not available for foreigners. You can set up in your hotel to receive the payment for you using PIX, maybe, to pay your stay here 😉. If you demand to be paid in Euros (cash), it'll be much harder to find someone interested;

3. Some brands are easier to sell here while others are practically inexistent and harder to find people interested, however, everything has a price and you'll have to give a good discount to resell equipment for brands like Slingshot, Ocean Rodeo, Naish, Elev8, etc... . Brands easy to sell here are Duotone, Core, North, Cabrinha and F-One.

4. There are some people that work here as a trader. They'll try to find a buyer for your equipment for you, announcing in local groups in portuguese and even setting up the payment. These guys usually will charge you about 10-15% for the service.

5. Some places are easier to find buyers than others. Cumbuco, for instance, you'll probably find more people interested than places like Icarai, Prea, etc... but you can always find an easy place like the airport to meet the buyer :naughty:

(*) I live far from Ceará and usually pay a person to help me buy what I want from travelers there. This person usually meet the seller at the airport, check everything and delivers to me afterwards. Most of the times I pay the seller using Wise.
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post (total 3):
Toby (Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:00 am) • Vivo3d (Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:00 pm) • windsuks (Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:39 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

universalflush
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: North Orbit 7, 9, North Reach 12

Postby universalflush » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:02 pm

Regarding the brands that are easy to sell, there is a very clear preference:
Duotone
Core
North
Cabrinha
F One
Brazilians are driven by status and Duotone is the brand with the highest status. It also helps a lot to sell your equipment early in the season.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:58 pm

universalflush wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:02 pm
Regarding the brands that are easy to sell, there is a very clear preference:
Duotone
Core
North
Cabrinha
F One
Brazilians are driven by status and Duotone is the brand with the highest status. It also helps a lot to sell your equipment early in the season.
Status, much easier to resell and to find replacement parts :thumb:

Here we don't have chance to try new stuffs. People invest in what think is the best, thus, we usually "follow the herd". Demo days are rare here and Duotone is, by far, the brand with the largest distribution network here. Most of the other brands simply don't care for our market, which is huge but, due to insane taxes and currency exchange, make any imported product impracticable. Therefore, market here is driven by healthier people, that don't care for price and can travel abroad, and the large majority which buy in the second hand market (like me)

Vivo3d
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: ~71
Style: Freeride
Gear: Duotone EVO SLS 2023
Duotone Click Bar
Duotone Select SLS 2023
Mystic Stealth Gen2
O'neill Psycho One 5/4

Postby Vivo3d » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:05 pm

Well, I might take you up on your offer as well then.

Return to “Kitesurfing”