Forum for kitesurfers
espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None

Feedback request on North Cross 2022 vs. 2023

Postby espana23 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:50 am

Hi,

The North Cross surfboard has had significant changes in its overall shape, bottom shape (quad concave vs. centreline-v) and fin setup options when comparing the 2022 and 2023 versions. When comparing the 5'2 2022 version to the 5'3 2023 version, other than the small length difference and the 1 liter less that 2023 has, all other dimensions are the same. For someone that has used both versions of the Cross, can you share your experience and the pros/cons of each shape?

Things that are of interest to me for the comparison:
- Overall feel when riding small to medium size waves
- Ability to overcome beach break whitewater
- Upwind ability
- Low wind performance
- Durability/construction

Thank you.

-Mike

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Re: Feedback request on North Cross 2022 vs. 2023

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:56 am

espana23 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:50 am
Hi,

The North Cross surfboard has had significant changes in its overall shape, bottom shape (quad concave vs. centreline-v) and fin setup options when comparing the 2022 and 2023 versions. When comparing the 5'2 2022 version to the 5'3 2023 version, other than the small length difference and the 1 liter less that 2023 has, all other dimensions are the same. For someone that has used both versions of the Cross, can you share your experience and the pros/cons of each shape?

Things that are of interest to me for the comparison:
- Upwind ability
- Low wind performance

Thank you.

-Mike
Hey Mike,

I have not spent that much time on either but have ridden both. For reference I have had a Charge 5'9 in my quiver all years, this is far and away my favourite North surf board, but I have ridden/tested all years/models of North surfboards.

newer/2023 model feels more like "pure" down the line surf board. more drawn in tail, more nose scoop, etc (or at least looks/feels like it and seems to ride this way). I'm going 2023 here.

2023 model

- Upwind ability
kind of hard to say. 2023 is a bit more narrow tail, I feel it holds an edge better and if powered up I'd give an edge to 2023.

- Low wind performance
2023 rides a bit smaller. I wouldn't split hairs here though. It's a surfboard, low end will be better than anything else you've had if it's your first SB.

I should know this inside out. I think construction is essentially the same. To me not a factor between models. In the end the 2 boards are wildly different to look at, the construction won't be the biggest difference between models.

Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author mattaiken MYS NKB for the post:
espana23 (Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

espana23
Medium Poster
Gear: NA

Postby espana23 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your input. It seems to be 2023 all the way. :) Is there any reason (i.e. type of riding conditions, etc.) that you think someone should choose the 2022 over the 2023 version?

I would really like to get feedback from someone that used both versions extensively, but I realize it might not be easy to find someone.

-Mike

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:39 pm

I've used both the '22 & '23 Cross boards, they quite a lot different in performance. I believe the '22 cross was more towards the freestyle end of the market and since North already have the freestyle dedicated board the redesigned the latest Cross as an even more all round "surf" board. It def surfs way better than the original and is great in small mushy messy surf right up to shoulder high decent surf.

North Cross '23

North Cross '22
These users thanked the author windsuks for the post:
espana23 (Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”