Rare Poster
Gear: North Neo
North Wam Pro
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Duotone (smaller) WAM, Fish or Whip

Postby ononimus » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:22 pm

Hi all
Trying to revive an older post that I read a while ago as I am looking at getting a new surfboard. I have recently moved to South Spain and kite mainly in the Tarifa area.
I still have my 2018 WAM Pro 5'10, which I've had from new and still really love, but am thinking of either replacing it for a WAM SLS 5'7 (fancy trying a smaller board with less volume) or go for the Fish SLS or Whip SLS.
Anyone with experience on those boards? I have been push away from the Fish as it seems to be targeting a more beginner/early intermediate rider, but this is just after reading the few reviews that I have come across.
Cheers!

FunOnTheWater
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 74
Style: Freeride Foil, Wave, Twintip.
Gear: Gong, reedin, sabfoil, blade, Duotone

Re: Duotone (smaller) WAM, Fish or Whip

Postby FunOnTheWater » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:29 pm

I ride the Whip 5.1 strapless @74kg and it is fantastic for me. I only use surfboard for downwinders.
So easy so much comfort, control, so confident, it has a rock solid firm feel, whilst still can turn snappy with glide when you want. So easy to hop over chop etc. Can convert wave in speed.
For me this is perfect allround highly recommend board (north sea, waves+chop) It is is also easy on upwind, you can hang in the edge with ease if you want.
You can sail it in low till high wind conditions, even overpowered you can still manage the board. (some dedicate surfboard becomes a struggle if conditions become bad and you get ripped of the board )

Still if you may prefer a100% pure slippery, downwind glide surfboard in big waves with clean water in between and you like to balance on the board with small kites, you may prefer bit of fatter rounder shape with added volume.
(but you loose the easy of use and allround capabilities)
These users thanked the author FunOnTheWater for the post:
ononimus (Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

ononimus
Rare Poster
North Wam Pro

Postby ononimus » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:46 pm

Thanks buddy! That’s is really helpful. I’d take the clean, but waves, but unfortunately not much of that where I’m based. I tried a Fish last week, although it was the 5’1 and possibly a bit small for me at (84kg), but still fun.
I really wonder how different the whip and the fish are in the medium waves?
I’ll try to get hold of a whip after your post to test it before committing. Cheers!

Enclume
Rare Poster

Postby Enclume » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:06 pm

A buddy of mine has the whip and I have the fish. We sometimes swap. Both are nice boards. You feel more the volume on the fish and it is more stable. It has less rocker so more efficient on the water which I find nicer for the days you just want to cruise around. For me the whip felt more playful and loose.
These users thanked the author Enclume for the post:
ononimus (Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:33 pm)

FunOnTheWater
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 74
Style: Freeride Foil, Wave, Twintip.
Gear: Gong, reedin, sabfoil, blade, Duotone

Postby FunOnTheWater » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:28 pm

The whip is noseless, I thought therefore 5.1 smaller sized board should do, as would be effectively bigger compare to board with nose.
However in reallife the 5.1 whip certainly does not feel big. Maybe duotone, compensated sizes in the charts, to be comparable sized between models do not know?

I think for 84kg freeride waves, you could take a bigger sized whip, probably bit addition volume. But man I love that board.
These users thanked the author FunOnTheWater for the post:
ononimus (Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:33 pm)

ononimus
Rare Poster
North Wam Pro

Postby ononimus » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:24 am

Thank you very much all!
Is the main difference between the fish and the whip the amount of volume around the front foot then (as in more volume towards the front on the fish?). I am more interested in how the boards behave in small/medium waves rather than freestyle really.
Cheers!

Return to “Kitesurfing”