KellyGK
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Johannesburg

Postby KellyGK » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:26 am

Hi There,

I know this has been asked in the past, however the links suggested no longer work.

I started kite surfing lessons in Cape Town recently but had to leave before being able to complete them.
Is there anywhere around Johannesburg you can suggest that I can complete my lessons? I will be in Joburg for the next two weeks.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitesurfing in Johannesburg

Postby rynhardt » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:13 am

I'm based in Johannesburg (Randburg) and am not aware of any kite schools around here.
I've stopped trying to kite at most of the kite-able spots around here (Vaal dam, Bronkhorstspruit, Leeuwpan) years ago and cannot recommend it.
The wind is of poor quality and not conducive to learning, that's if you even get any wind after several hours of traveling.
The water quality can be suspect depending on time of year (e-coli, bilharzia, industrial/agricultural effluent, etc).

Sterkfontein dam can be good when there's wind, but that's more during winter time. It's a 5 hour drive from Jhb, and it's in the middle of nowhere, so best to go with a group.

My recommendation for learning is Langebaan.
Excellent wind quality, excellent water quality, nice open, sandy beaches, plenty of kite-schools and rental options, optional rescue boat subscription, kite repair shops.
These users thanked the author rynhardt for the post:
KellyGK (Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:44 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”