Bar tuning question, 3cm oversheet

Forum for kitesurfers
gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Bar tuning question, 3cm oversheet

Postby gator1 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:19 am

Bar oversheets by 3cm. It has no built in system to adjust the line length. If I put in a knot at the pigtails it takes the center lines down by 5cm, so 2cm under sheet.

Should I leave it? Some kiters want that 3cm oversheet but I've always been a equal line length person.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Re: Bar tuning question, 3cm oversheet

Postby Nak » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:36 am

gator1 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:19 am
Bar oversheets by 3cm. It has no built in system to adjust the line length. If I put in a knot at the pigtails it takes the center lines down by 5cm, so 2cm under sheet.

Should I leave it? Some kiters want that 3cm oversheet but I've always been a equal line length person.
It depends on your kite and how you fly it. Some kites pretty severely choke if you oversheet them at all, others not so much. Some people like being able to oversheet so that they can intentionally backstall the kite, other folks hate that. I'd suggest a few sessions each way to see how you like it each way. You can also try different attachment points at the kite, one knot difference should be about 2 cm...

I'm also an equal length guy. I make adjustable pigtails so that I can adjust the line length to be pretty much exact.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:04 am

Can also try tying back lines to anchor and pulling hard to stretch them back out.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:45 am

You can just use your center line depower cleat and make every thing even again.

3cm should not really impact your ability to depower from the cleat.

And some kites like to be a little over sheeted, it can also depend on the amount of wind, and this size of the kite.

In lighter winds or big lulls or lulls it is easy to stall a kite. Small kites are also don’t need as much sheeting action so they can be easy to stall.

I used to depower my 3 strut kites when foiling in light wind because I would oversheet them and my natural reflex was to pull in the bar to get power.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Has thanked: 0

Postby sflinux » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:09 am

Easy peasy, Add pigtails to your back lines at the ends of the lines. You can create your own pigtails with amsteel with an overhand knot, which is compatible with the kite's pigtails of knots or loops. If 3 cm is too hard to tune, I would also make pigtails for your front lines, just make the rear pigtails longer. Adjust the pigtail knots so all lines are equal.
I like all lines equal too. Oversheeting can lead to kite stall and increased bare pressure.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:32 am

I love my 1.5”’of oversheet - it allows me to power/choke/spin the kite more rapidly. I can always depower a bit to equalize the lines though

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:49 am

gator1 wrote:
It has no built in system to adjust the line length.
Are you sure? There is often an extra adjustment of the steering lines hidden under the floats where you can change by a few cms either way.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:02 am

gator1 wrote:

This is an amazing question gator1, and leaves many more questions.

First off, this doesnt make sense, if you mean this literally: "but I've always been a equal line length person".

As two kites can almost never have the exact same trim with the same bar.

But maybe you mean by "feel" - when you sheet the bar in, you can feel the kite oversheet 3 cm before fully pulled?

Next is, how many kites do you have?
You have been on this forum for 8 years with lots of interaction, so assume you have been kiting for maybe even longer maybe 10 years?
So probably not a "one kite" quiver?

Nice you write you dont want to ride with oversheet, then this issue is not in the debate (shows you are experienced also on the forum, as someone like me prefer to have 5-10 cm oversheet on all my kites, so I can almost back them up with the bar itself.

As mentioned - many bars has some adjustment inside the floater - especially because your right and left rearline could also be a bit off, which is no good.
Or your kite could be a bit off (IF you have a one kite quiver) so you can correct this way.

You could make a knot on the frontlines like you say - dont do it!
This knot might get impossible or hard to loosen again later, if you want that, and missing 2 cm or more powerwise is loss.

Instead, just take a piece of rope and tie two knots/loops or whatever, and lenghten the rearlines 3 cm.

This way you will have equal line length feel.
And you can do this with every kite you got, to make it work spot on.

I think most of us are wondering why you just dont use the depower trim?
Have you removed it?

If you have simply measured your lines and found them 3 cm different front versus back, but it is not a "flying feel" you are experiencing, I will say forget about that, makes absolutely no sense.

Or is it a second bar needed to work with your other bar on all your kites?
THEN your question makes a lot of sense, and if no adjustment under your floaters, then you have to lengthen with small rope pieces at the end of the rear lines - now you have equal bars.

If your only bar, how does the bar work with your other kites?
This, and if it is outside your trim range, should decide what you do.

8) Peter

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:03 pm

gator1 wrote:

Try with Fig8 knots on the front lines pigtails and overhand knots on the rear lines pigtails.

Else (esp. if you kite in salt water), wash your lines well and give them a good pull till you get them to original length.

Return to “Kitesurfing”