Ross Dillon Player | Episode # 338

Forum for kitesurfers
ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:28 am

Ross Dillon is a former Megaloop and BAKL winner and has recently signed with Duotone Kiteboarding.

Direct Feed:

http://kitesurf365.com/ross-dillon-player-episode-338
These users thanked the author ARK for the post:
Guttorm (Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ross Dillon Player | Episode # 338

Postby duddd » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 am

i really don't understand why Duotone picked Ross up. i will listen to the podcast when i have time, but i bet he is not on the international team... maybe something on the SA organization
Ross is not delivering anything on the comp scene, has a low reach on social media , he is not really the friendliest pro IRL . He is good looking and would do well on shoots, but Duotone has plenty of them already

ARK
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby ARK » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:22 pm

duddd wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:22 am
i really don't understand why Duotone picked Ross up. i will listen to the podcast when i have time, but i bet he is not on the international team... maybe something on the SA organization
Ross is not delivering anything on the comp scene, has a low reach on social media , he is not really the friendliest pro IRL . He is good looking and would do well on shoots, but Duotone has plenty of them already
Ross isn't the friendliest??? LOL he is one of the nice guys in the sport!! have you seen his riding recently?

duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby duddd » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:22 pm

Yep, he isn't the friendliest with the plebs. I feel that you have a special relationship with him and for sure with you might be a really good chap, but with us norms on the two encounters i had with him on the water in Cape Town last year, he was quite arrogant and cocky.
First encounter, i was riding at Pakalolo last year in 30+ kts and he looped twice over one of my friends who was quite a beginner (similar to how Pete was riding in episode 2/ could hold his edge, but still having problems with heli's on 10m+ jumps).
I've asked Ross to stop doing that because it is dangerous. He responded aggressively that he is in control and if we don't like it, we should go ride somewhere else.
Agreed, he was in control, but my friend wasn't and some beginners do not look upwind before changing tack.
We never ride at Dolphin or Kite beach just because of this, to let the pros have space and do their thing.

Second encounter a couple of days later, i saw him a bit upwind of Mystic house doing the same thing with other riders (not one of his riding buddies; he was riding with Gijs who wasn't doing this type of sh*t).

You will never see Lorenzo or Jeremy do this for example, as i had the chance to ride with them in crowded Pigs bay in Tenerife quite a lot.

Yes, his riding is getting better, but comp wise, he won't stand a chance with the new generation even on the dlabs. Look at how hard Giel is working and he barely manages to touch the podium every now and then.
I've listened to the podcast earlier and if he doesn't change his mindset, he won't do good. He has the same mindset that led him not even being a KOTA reserve.
He had the attitude that he was too good to ride BAKL events after he won the first edition (something that the old guard/established riders had the luxury of) and now he still considers the same and only targets the majors.
These days if you are not part of the circuit, it will be hard to keep up with the best.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:13 am

Riding with the Pros at Dolphin or Kiteboard is taking your own lives in your hands. Airton almost killed me 3x before I gave up and went somewhere else. Unfortunate, but somewhat understandable.

Ross was extremely kind to me. A mate crashed into me, tangled kites, and we both released. This tangled our lines into a giant mess. He was first on the scene to check if we were alright, then unhooked my kite and brought it into shore 300m away. He came back and did it for my mate as well (waist deep water, so no floatation needed and a couple others took our boards). A little withdrawn, but super friendly when we were chatting to him on the shore.

Return to “Kitesurfing”