Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I looked into my chicken loop and I found...

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

I looked into my chicken loop and I found...

Postby sarc » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:48 pm

Full disclosure, this is not a brand bashing post and I've seen plenty worse loops over the years. My message is simply: assume nothing, check everything, and replace often even if it looks OK from outside.
I take good care of my equipment and I wash my bars in fresh water religiously after each session. These 2 Duotone loops were used over maybe 50-60 sessions before I started using the North navigator bar and CL. They were in my drawer for almost 2 years when I started using them again in my new frankenbar.
1707488316018.jpg
1707488366382.jpg
The duotone loops looked almost new from outside, with slight wear where they contact the harness hook. After a few seshes I decided to take a look at all my loops and I found out I was a couple of kiteloops away from possible injury and equipment damage.

The spectra line can be pulled right off the Duotone loops by hand. On North loops there's a sewing on one end with very thin line (maybe to prevent twisting) that rips off with minimal effort. So checking your loop is a 3 minute deal in ether case.

The Duotone loops have a design issue in that the sewing on each side ends right where the harness hook applies pressure, creating a weak spot at the end of the sewing in the same way that sewn kite lines are weaker just at the end of the sewing. The damage is obvious in both loops. Also, lots of sand inside the Duotone loop sleeve.

The North loop is superior on that the sewing is end to end with no weak spot, AND it has a nylon webbing reinforcement where the harness hook applies pressure. Also there was almost no sand inside. The picture shows Duotone on top and North on bottom.
1707488341478.jpg
The breakage in one of the Duotone metal cleats leaves me speechless. It should simply not be possible to have rust in there: maybe it's some degradation caused by the welding process, anyways it has no place in a quality product. The other cleat had strong 'tea stain' discoloring in the same place. These 2 loops have been in a drawer in my home for a coupe of years, but they were washed and dried before being stored. The north cleat looks like new after a couple of years of use.

Draw the conclusions that you want... anyway checking is really easy so no reason for not doing it! Or buy a new replacement loop every year?
These users thanked the author sarc for the post (total 5):
mati (Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:01 pm) • Toby (Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:37 pm) • GregK (Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:54 pm) • vakiter (Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:36 am) • BalsaMichel (Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:17 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

mati
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I looked, I looked into my chicken loop and I found....

Postby mati » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:06 pm

Nice to see that some brands still put some extra effort in places where it is not easily seen, but it makes a difference in safety and durability. And a shame too, that other brands are more worried about marketing, colors, high price tags and shiny materials than in this (cheap) safety detail.

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9

Postby Kitedicted » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:33 pm

Yeah it's important to inspect anything that can break. I opened up my north navigator cl after two years and it looked very good

suisd12
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Re: I looked, I looked into my chicken loop and I found

Postby suisd12 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:57 pm

I use 2 duotone chivkenloops a year and turn them around after a few months........

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:45 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:33 pm
Yeah it's important to inspect anything that can break. I opened up my north navigator cl after two years and it looked very good
Interesting..if I havent broken it within 2 years Im not riding hard enough

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Re: I looked into my chicken loop and I found...

Postby CaptainKook » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:24 am

Components that are critical for rider safety should NEVER be sub standard. Any defects in design, or sub standard materials in these areas is an accident waiting to happen.

Everyone has a responsibility to check CL systems at least once a year.

If you haven't checked your CL lately, make a mental note to do this the next day you are waiting for wind!!

Shivix
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2022
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Ijsselmeer / Markermeer / Wijk aan Zee / Ijmuiden / Camperduin
Style: Freeride / Big Air
Gear: 7m Slingshot Machine v1
7m Cabrinha Chaos 2016
8m Ten Velox
8m Cabrinha FX 2016
8m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro
9m Cabrinha Nitro #2
9m Slingshot Machine v1
9m Cabrinha Contra 1s
10m North Orbit '23
11m Flysurfer Sonic 3
12m Flysurfer Soul 1
18m Flysurfer Sonic 2

Carved Imperator 6 139
North Atmos Carbon 2022 136
Duotone Jaime SLS 2021 136

Moses T38, Slingshot Alien Air, Moses m91 mast, w683s + s450, w548 + s325

Postby Shivix » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:49 am

CaptainKook wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:24 am
Components that are critical for rider safety should NEVER be sub standard. Any defects in design, or sub standard materials in these areas is an accident waiting to happen.

If you haven't checked your CL lately, make a mental note to do this the next day you are waiting for wind!!
How do u suggest checking it? Pulling the dyneema out of the plastic? How to get it back in?

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:58 pm

Shivix wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:49 am
CaptainKook wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:24 am

How do u suggest checking it? Pulling the dyneema out of the plastic? How to get it back in?
For Duotone and North you pull the Spectra line straight out and then pull it back in with a thin leader line.

ArneB
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee (The Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (The Netherlands)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Vegas
Has thanked: 0

Postby ArneB » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:10 pm

Thanks for the reminder to check the CL.

After 2 months of heavy use, mine was starting to show very minor wear at the point yours almost broke.
Also some brownish residue on the metal part, but could not see pit corosion.

Just for peace of mind I replaced the rope with 4mm dyneema (1950kg breaking strength).

Standard rope looks like 3mm.

Ps. also sand inside, which i really do not like
These users thanked the author ArneB for the post:
CaptainKook (Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:24 pm

When hiding rope inside of a plastic tube (especially if isn't meant to be removed) it should be so strong it "never" wears our to that level. Crazyfly bar PU covered (maybe 30 times used) depowerline broke, it was very worn out inside of the PU tubing.
I just replaced 50 times used ozone depowerline (because PU tubing was cracked) and then disassembled it and there was already wear and tear.
IMHO chicken loop should be so strong built that it would last 5x longer than flying lines.
These users thanked the author jyka for the post:
CaptainKook (Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”