2002 vs 2003 kites - a big diff?

Forum for kitesurfers
skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby skipfrommichigan » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:12 am

Hi guys,
I have a quiver of 2002 Aeros and am contemplating a purchase of 2003 kites. For the guys that have owned 2002 kites and flown 2003 kites - is there a big performance jump on the new models? I know this can be a 'general' question but most of the kiters that I have spoke to are reps or pro flyers that are giving me a biased opinion. Thanks in advance - Skip

Marley
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Marley » Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:15 am

I don't know much but i think just gimics. 2002 all went to dacron and that jazz and should seem to be not too many diff if at all. eager to see what others say

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:24 am

Hi guys,
personaly "me thinks" that a 2 to 4 year wait between rig change is best, because changes are small on a yearly basis, and the old rigs are still performing A1.
Regards
Nico

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:41 am

I think only time will tell the real story for the 2003 model kites. Personally I have seen some major improvements in kite design going on. Some manufacturers are really going all out, and some are just tweaking their 2002 designs. We will see if they can deliver on their promise, but for example Airush says of their new 2003 Lift Pro model that you will be able to boost "at least 50% higher than last year's Lift, in complete control." If that statement turns out to be accurate, then it is a major accomplishment in kite design for their 2003 model. I own 2002 Airush Lift kites, and they are great performing kites. They were rated by many people as the highest boosting kites in 2002. To then improve the design so that you can get at least 50% more boost out of the kites; WOW, now that is a big improvement! Another company that looks to be pushing the performance envelope is F-one with the development of their new Mach II kites. With its smaller diameter LE and struts, and an increase in wind range, this kite looks like it could be a real contender for top performer in 2003 too. Those certainly aren't the only two companys pushing the envelope, so I think there are good things brewing for 2003. Like I said before only time will tell, but my prediction is that the 2003 model kites, at least for some manufacturers, will be a significant step forward in performance over the 2002 kites.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:55 am

We have a local guy flying the 2003 Pro Lift. He reports way more power per size than last year and is boosting bigger. How much bigger is always hard to answer.

I have a 2003 North 18m that is getting me the best jumps of my life. It has made 15 knot winds twice as fun as last year. To perform at this level in only 15 knots is a dream come true. This same kite takes me into winds I never thought possible, with jumps that make me feel like pro, even though I'm a nobody. I would sell my sister to keep this kite. I don't know if all kite sizes will see these performance gains, but bigger kites have become insane fun.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:58 am

On 2002-10-24 03:12, skipfrommichigan wrote:
Hi guys,
I have a quiver of 2002 Aeros and am contemplating a purchase of 2003 kites. For the guys that have owned 2002 kites and flown 2003 kites - is there a big performance jump on the new models? I know this can be a 'general' question but most of the kiters that I have spoke to are reps or pro flyers that are giving me a biased opinion. Thanks in advance - Skip
Did you like the pictures?

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Postby skipfrommichigan » Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:40 pm

Thank you for your feedback. Now I am in a real pickle. Hmmmmm - keep my 12 and sell my 16 and 20.......

This is a great group when people exchange real life experience vs. marketing hype. Now a guy in freezing cold Michigan can get the scoop on the 2003 models before this coming spring.

HUCK IT!

Return to “Kitesurfing”