Board copy's

Forum for kitesurfers
norts_grom
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby norts_grom » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:38 am

i see alot of talk about boards being copied.

Specificly the underground lunch tray being copyed by cabrinha, RRD, Nash and many more.

But who is to say who copied who, sure underground had the LT before any other major company, but i have seen this flat middle section to the huge rocker on the tips well before. Besides this is the natural progression of all the boards. Think of the first kite Wipika Classic, every kite lookes like that, and the more research done in the sport the more all the equipment will look and preform the same. This is the way the sport is going, its not one board manufactures shape that everyone's copying, its the sports shape that works the best for what we do and it will always be that

feel free to disagree with what im saying, but its what i think.

P.S i am a big fan of underground boards and they are the boards ive always ridden and im not dissing them.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:21 am

Well put.
I agree fully
Nico

Cal
Frequent Poster

Postby Cal » Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:51 am

G'Day,

I agree mostly with what you say.
As most know I also ride underground and I Love em.

Even underground borrow things from other designs - but when they do they at least acknowledge it, They acknowledge that they borrowed the TT design with water release edges from (at the time) wipika - Franz Olry.

What I think is off, is when a rider has boards made by a company - in this case martin vari having boards made by underground, And then that Riders major sponsor releases there own board which is very similar - and with no acknowledgement of the original basis for that board - in this case the underground wave tray.

If cabrinah at least acknowledged the design source, instead of lying about it then I personally wouldn't see a cause for comment... (And believe me, Cabrinha has told porky's about this)

Callum

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:13 pm

I agree. Not to take anything away from Underground, they are great boards. But to say that another manufacturer owes them something because they make a wide board with flip tips is a little silly. Wakeboard manufacturers have been putting out short wide boards for a long time now, and snowboards have flip tips for nearly the same reasons. It's not rocket science.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:07 am

By simply duplicating or even appearing to duplicate another manufacturers product(no matter what it is) I believe is a very strong endorsement for the original idea or item. If a kiteboarding company could prevent another company or companys from duplicating its original product or idea and made it so that you could only get that one type of product from one manufacturer we would all suffer. Could you imagine that the only kite you would legally be allowed to buy would be from a guy named Bernard in France and your wakeboard would be from some water ski company in the U.S. and if you wanted to buy a twin tip you would have to special order it from some other guy named Franz. My opinion is let all these manufacturers fight for our hard earned money, we deserve it!

Jurjen
Medium Poster

Postby Jurjen » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:38 am

Think of the first kite Wipika Classic, every kite lookes like that, and the more research done in the sport the more all the equipment will look and preform the same.
Actually all kitemanufacturers pay the Legaignoux brothers (don't know how to spell the name but they invented the tubekite at wipika at the time) royalties.

But it's a nice story.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:06 am

Please respond this question:
If everybody is copying a board, dont you want the original??
This acts a a promotional tool too.
Boards are nearly imposible to "clon".
A simple change in materials and you will have a different board, even if it looks the same.
The best board is the one you area used too.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:09 am

As far as I know, cabrinha paid to commercially produce the design on the underground lunch tray. Just because the paid for the design, doesn't mean they have to acknowledge the source of the design. The money pays for that. (What do you want? a warning sticker that says WARNING - This board is actually a commercially produce Underground Board. If you didn't know this, then you may take it back for a full refund)

HP Printers used Canon engines for years and they never acknowledged the source of that. Its standard business practice, and its based on the terms and conditions of their legal contract, if it wasn't, i'm sure underground would have sued.

Cal
Frequent Poster

Postby Cal » Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:07 am

On 2002-11-17 09:09, Anonymous wrote:
As far as I know, cabrinha paid to commercially produce the design on the underground lunch tray. Just because the paid for the design, doesn't mean they have to acknowledge the source of the design.
A couple of things...

For one, The board in question is the underground WAVE TRAY.

For two, Cabrinah - or martin vari bought and payed for boards made by underground. They DID NOT pay to reproduce the design...
The money pays for that. (What do you want? a warning sticker that says WARNING - This board is actually a commercially produce Underground Board. If you didn't know this, then you may take it back for a full refund)
No money... no acknowledgement... thats the kind of company cabrinah(neil pryde) is...

Callum

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:04 pm

do what i'm going to do. buy a wave tray, and e-mail cabrinha a picture.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”