Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wipika bar depower range adjustment

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:06 pm

I remember someone saying about the depower range on the original wipika bar being too large when no bridle is used, and putting a knot or stopper to reduce this range, but..

what would be an appropriate distace (from either end) to put this stopper or knot at?

I have a AB11.8 in 15-25 knots winds.

Thanks for any feedback.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hernan » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:23 am

This lengh depends on your riding style. If you are used to ride with the bar resting in the upper knot, it must be shorter, otherwise there is no problem beeing long as the standard wipika bar. In doubt, make a knot 3/4 from the chicken loop.
25 knots on the 11,8? How much you weight? How high you want to go?

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:57 pm

thanks hernan, that wind speed is what is reported on the weather, but I have not been in winds higher than 16kts or so.

my issue with the knot is that I find that when I dive the kite, it powers up, but with this long range of depower, I find my self loosing too much air as the bar slides away from me to far.

I'll try the 3/4 from the chicken loop like you said, but will have an adjustable stopper that I can move for any needed adjustments until I find the right length.

Aquaman

flesjj
Rare Poster

Postby flesjj » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:56 pm

I made a knot in the rope (with the black rubber around it) at about 35 cm distance from the end whitch goes on my harness. So I ride with the bar resting against that knot all the time ! This feels great. You can make a knot on the other side of the bar at about 20 cm from the end because the airblast is not a kite whitch likes to be pulled in with the bar. In fact it looks not good and flies bad when pulled in. Might even start flying backwards when pulled in to much. That is why people who are not used to flying the airblast allways complain about it in the beginning.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:48 pm

Aquaman - you can just wait till you get more experienced - then you don't need the stoppers !
In fact you don't WANT the stoppers - because you wan't to oversheet the kite on purpose either way...

what I am saying is, that you might just as well get used to it now - instead of later.

If you find it real troublesome - then it would be better to disconnect your depower loop fully, and use a fixed harness line.
Then you can adjust the power with the cleat, on the water.
This is way easier for starters - but you did not say what level you are ?

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:26 pm

Thanks for the help on this guys, I agree that maybe its just my inexperience (I can't ride upwind, almost but not yet). But I would like to give the stopper a try to see how it feels. As I said, maybe putting a stopper that I can adjust or remove easily if necessary.

Aquaman
out.-

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:45 pm

Hey its called learning you have to do it so what are you gaining by corupting the kite designers system? I do not use the wipi bar so maybe i do not understand, but the odds are wipika dose and maybe you should give it another try with dedecated manufacturer supplyied approved depower set up. After all the chances of you, a rookie making the right call are a bit less than say a respected kite design team. Thats just a guess, i do not use that bar, anyway you will love kiting once you learn to appreceate the gear. good luck. fokiten

SunStruck!
Medium Poster

Postby SunStruck! » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:32 am

Hi Aquaman,
If you do decide to put a stopper or knot on your centre line I think it's exact location should vary with your arm length/riding style. Hook up your lines to a fixed object, like a post, as if you were checking your lines to be equal length. Put your harness on, hook in and lean back to simulate how you like to ride. Position the bar at a comfortable distance away from yourself (so that it's not too close, not too far away) and take note of where the bar is and this where you can tie your knot etc. I like to ride like this and I set up my bar so that all lines are equal length when the bar is resting at the stopper and the trim strap is set for full power. The only way to depower when set up like this is to use the trim strap (or cleat) or by adjusting where you fix your lines to the kite pigtails. Or just edge bloody hard. You can't depower by pushing your bar forward when set up like this. I like this set-up for constant power/no hand tricks etc. I don't ride airblasts so you may have to adjust line lengths a little if this is not quite the right tuning. Also, if you want a neater finish you can have some sort of removable stopper, such as webbing, sewn on to the centre line/tube rather than tie a knot which would be permanent. Good luck with whichever way you choose to go and kite safely. Brad.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:23 am

thanks for your idea brad, but I think I am not ready for a setup with no depower at all.

fokiten: What you are calling corruptions by a rookie of gear designed by manufacturers are ideas about that modification that I have seen in this forum made by people like you, that have more experience than me and that I can learn from.

But anyways, I appreciate all information you guys provide.

Aquaman

Return to “Kitesurfing”