Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North West Florida

Forum for kitesurfers
SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:13 am

I suppose this could be addressed to Unhooked as much as anyone else. What is the kiting like up there? I used to live in Gulf Breeze (up near Pensacola) but I wasn't interested in kiting back then. I went once last year when I was visiting family, but it was kind of light (10-15 mph). I eventually plan to move back to the area and am curious to see what I'm in for. Thanks.

SENDIT!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:59 am

You could contact the FKA area coordinators for more info up that way includling:

Kip Lee Panama City kiplee@netzero.net
Michael Percy Pensacola Sea-Sky-Sports michael@sea-sky-sports.com

I am still trying to get back up that way at ground level to try kiteboarding. From the air it looks lightly populated with endless,wide sandy beaches. Just add wind!

unHooked
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby unHooked » Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:11 pm

Welcome back to NW FL, SENDit.

As Rick says, miles of shore on the Gulf, either side of the extensive barrier islands and sounds, and many bays for Northerly and Southly winds....

We're still tolerated around here, managed to avoid accidents out of sheer luck. We all have to get upto speed on the bystander safty thing. Easy to get that cavalier attitude. People still fly directly upwind of beachwalkers within kite line distance etc. Have to start having friendly chats with the guys about this.
I'm the only one wearing a helmet for example to get the jist....although everyone uses kite leashes atleast.

winds are going to be good this week as long as we don't get a typical highpressure to cull it out........

Hope to meet you when you get out here.
-~U H~-

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:45 am

Rick, as I recall, Pensacola beach and Navarre beach are one long sandy strip. Navarre itself is almost deserted in many spots and would be a great launch. I also went in the sound side and rode in fairly shallow water with a very flat surface. However, the question remained as to how often the wind gets good enough to go.

Unhooked, thanks for the info. It'll be awhile (8 years) before I'm back for good, but I will be stopping through periodically to visit family. Maybe I'll give you guys a yell next time I'm in. Where are you guys kiting anyway?

SENDIT!

unHooked
Medium Poster

Postby unHooked » Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:58 pm

a front came through yesterday, was out on the gulf side after work...surf was 2-3ft

17:53 SE 17 G 23 10.00 Mostly Cloudy FEW044 BKN110 65 59 29.99 1015.5
16:53 SE 18 G 25 10.00 Mostly Cloudy BKN095 BKN110 66 57 30.01 1016.1
15:53 SE 16

conditions are so unpredictable around here,
Between Destin and Pensacola.
typically we'll have forcasts for good winds, then the Highpressue drifts over and and kills it all. The weather guy i work next to said that we get the text book example of a "cull zone", winds and pressure changes all around us, except balanced and calm here.

Destin is one of the best sports fishing spots in the states because of this phenomenon. Great for wake boarding and running fast boats.

best to have a night job and be able to sail when the winds on. Two summers ago, the Bermuda high stayed over us for 6 months!(NO wind!!) only winds were during 5-6 storms and unridable.
This year we have El Nino, so maybe better.

easy, UH

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:42 am

Man, that is such a bummer to hear! I had heard someone from elsewhere say that the "redneck riviera" was a 10 knot heaven. I just figured by the time I retire from the Navy and move back there, technology will have 26m kites that fly like 9m ones today! Of course, that may be some wishful thinking, but who knows? I had no idea that there was any extra special weather pattern that seem to brew around the area. Guess that explains why I haven't seen any contest pictures from the area!

SENDIT!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:02 pm

You might browse throught the WX archives at ikitesurf.com for some of the stations in that area. I was speaking with Zack from up that way at a recent FL kiteboarding event. I think he said that things turn on for a few months in Feb. As for the summer, much of Florida goes into light wind mode. There are afternoon thermal winds sometimes to break up the summer doldrums sometimes.

Rick Iossi

Bill Altman
Rare Poster

Postby Bill Altman » Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:51 am

I've been kiting in Pensacola area for 3 years and can tell you we have a beautiful kiting area,we mainly kite from the west side on Perdido Key (Johnson beach). We have Gulf on one side and intracoastal waterway on the other side,walking distance away.Great area for any wind direction. Started kiting in 1999 with much help from Peter Nordby getting started. we'll surely miss him though. Also Michael Percy from Sea and sky sports in Ft. Walton Beach has been very helpful. Any one who needs help in our area please contact me billaltman@prodigy.net Bill Altman

Bill Altman
Rare Poster

Postby Bill Altman » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:02 am

Forgot to mention that Kip Lee has a kite shop in Pensacola 850-916-0460 " As the Wind Blows" We have 2 kitesurfing instructers in our area, myself and Rick Devalcourt. Bill Altman

KiteGlider
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteGlider » Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:55 am

Sailed the Gulf side of Destin this afternoon with Mastair 16, perfect for 10-13mph. 8ft directional, just went cruising, lots of fun.
As the history shows, it went variable 3 to a very nice S 10-13mph change in one hour. It increased a little just before sunset.

D
a
t
e Time
(est) Wind
(mph) Vis.
(mi.) Weather Sky Cond. Temperature (ºF) Pressure Precipitation
Air Dwpt 6 hour altimeter
(in) sea level
(mb) 1 hr 3 hr 6 hr
Max. Min.
28 15:53 S 13 10.00 Fair CLR 59 32 30.33 1027.4
28 14:53 S 10 10.00 Fair CLR 59 32 30.33 1027.4
28 13:53 Vrbl 3 10.00 Fair CLR 59 32 30.34 1027.8

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KiteGlider on 2002-12-29 03:00 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”