Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Problems installing X2 replacement bladder

Forum for kitesurfers
phree
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby phree » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:09 am

X2 16 new L.E. bladder. I've taken out and put bladders back in AR5's and ARX's but the X2 is giving me problems. Here's how it went: Installed NEW bladder using standard techniques and all seemed fine except one elbow joint was pinched. Slightly deflated and massaged that joint and that took care of it. Except the bladder was like 6" too short to fill that end of the tube! Deflated again, opened up the too short end, stretched kite out, pulled on bladder and tried again. Now it's pinched at the elbow joint again plus it's too short on the other end now! It's like the replacement bladder is slightly smaller than the original. Could that be? Any ideas or helpful hints for this? Thanks for your time.

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Juice 15m, Rebel 12m, Dice 9m, Evo9m, Evo7m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:36 am

I re-inserted my LE bladder X2-18 with no problems. Used a little powder, bladder was stretched flat with no convolutions. LE also was stretched flat in the correct direction.. bottom up. It was very easy. try to massage the elbows. If you didn't succeed, you might have the wrong size in your hands. The LE bladder was 6" longer on each side. after masssaging the elbows it was 4" longer.

Good Luck,
Mo

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:44 am

John, I assume someone sold you a wrong size of the bladder! If it is too short, give it back to them,otherwise contact Naish Inc directly, maybe they sold a wrong size or put a wrong tag on it in the factory.

Greets
Toby

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:07 am

The elbows on the X2s are necessary to cater for the "vortex stabiliser" inflatable struts.

North has got around this problem by tapering the leading edge right down at the tips (thereby eliminating vortex tendencies) and using rigid battens instead of elbow-inflatable battens.

It was ALWAYS going to be more difficult to replace a leading edge bladder on the X2s because of the elbows. Do yourself a favour: Sell your X2s and buy Rhino2s.

Elia
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Elia » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:10 am

On 2002-12-31 10:07, Anonymous wrote:
The elbows on the X2s are necessary to cater for the "vortex stabiliser" inflatable struts.

North has got around this problem by tapering the leading edge right down at the tips (thereby eliminating vortex tendencies) and using rigid battens instead of elbow-inflatable battens.

It was ALWAYS going to be more difficult to replace a leading edge bladder on the X2s because of the elbows. Do yourself a favour: Sell your X2s and buy Rhino2s.
Your an idiot, this guy writes in about a problem with his kite and you tell him to sell it and buy a new kite? What the fuuu? What are you going to do if you have a problem with your rino2 and people tell you to sell them and but airblasts?

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:39 am

Not if, When.

Dr Surf Australia
Medium Poster

Postby Dr Surf Australia » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:25 pm

Check the size of the new bladder in comparison with the old bladder. Then you'll know if you've got the right bladder.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:23 pm

I gotta say something here...the X2s are good kites, no doubt. Several of my friends ride them and really like 'em. But I've always wondered, why would Naish create a kite where the bladder makes two 90 degree turns in the casing at the tips?

Im thinking they wanted to save weight by using the bladder, instead of a carbon spar. But when I hold the Slingshot tip in my hand, its not much weight. The ARCs also use carbon spars as well - and have used 'em for years. The bladder being bent like this in the X2 seems more complicated than it needs to be. Unless they figured that its an advanced kite, where most riders won't drop it.

Anyway, it does sound like the bladder is for a kite size smaller than yours. You should compare the bladder to the original and see if there's a difference. If so, ask your dealer to have Naish send you a new one. No need to get a new kite...

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:00 pm

Hi, X2 well happy new year, if your like me you just want to kite, not make a case to robbie. You could do both, bust out a flamer and then go down to the party store and score a bag of ballons, I did this on my 11.8 after f-en up a patch multiple times,
It may be difficult for you but the idea is blow up a balloon as a space taker upper, at the tips, it works great but then again thank robbie yours is well,,,weird. you may want to mention this "inovation" is a potential kite wrecker.A Long under inflated balloon may side in then the bladder will squess it hard and firm I hope.
fokiten

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Tue Dec 31, 2002 7:28 pm

I've always wondered, why would Naish create a kite where the bladder makes two 90 degree turns in the casing at the tips?

Im thinking they wanted to save weight by using the bladder, instead of a carbon spar. ... The bladder being bent like this in the X2 seems more complicated than it needs to be.
Yes, it is interesting that now Naish no longer uses a carbon batton on their new AeroII. They now use their bent bladder like on the X2. I doubt that it saves weight and it is probably more costly. I can only guess that it has areodynamic advantages.

Chris G

Return to “Kitesurfing”