V O T E : Use of Side Release Snap Shackles

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:52 am

There have been many posts in recent years about release problems with side release snap shackles. A photo of a side release shackle appears below.

Some form of RELIABLE mechanical release for the chicken loop appears to be indicated. People have been proving the hardest way possible (by hitting things bodily), for years that you can't always simply unhook. There seems to be a consensus forming that side release snap shackles may not be sufficiently reliable to support their use as a connection to the chicken loop.

What do you think? Even stating yes you trust and use side release shackles or no you don't trust or use them will suffice if you don't want to say much. Comments about what you do use and why would be appreciated. Input on experience with the new pin Quick Releases would be appreciated as well.

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:

Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rickI on 2003-01-23 14:48 ]</font>

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:15 am

I do NOT like this type of shackle for kitesurfing application due to my experience with it in high load conditions on sailboats. They do not open easily under load. Also I have seen the ring fail and then you are really in trouble.

I have both Wipika Throttle and Cabrinha Powerlock barswith the velcro/pin release systems. No problems so far with releasing, however I haven't had a chance to give them a really hard test yet. I have heard that the pins in the Wipika system can bend, but havent seen it yet.

I am hoping to test both of these QR systems extensively over the next 2 weeks and will post my observations.

PS The new Ocean Rodeo bar w/Punch out system looks interesting. But it may require use of both hands? Has anyone actually tried it? If so start a new Topic so we dont mess up Ricks "vote machine"

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:49 am

I also do NOT like the side-pivot, pin-release shackles (as shown above).

I started with that style, & after a few sticky releases (before I learned to add a metal ring, & then leaned the ring must be big enough AND thick enough) & then a couple of straightened release rings, I switched to a Wichard 2673 tip-pivot, line-release, which has always released reliably, even from a plain loop of line (with no tube covering).

NJKite
Rare Poster

Postby NJKite » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:06 am

Yes,
I have used the above pictured snapshackle for a year and have never had a problem. I feel safer being able to quick release under a load with this sidepin release, the ring is welded the system looks ok..now I am not so sure????????????

I have always felt safe and secure shackled in even though there is no quick release on my chicken loop, so I rely on this snap shackle to work.

I am deeply worried now that I have read the posts by Rick. I always knew what the risks of being shackled in meant, no matter which one you use. Thanks for the posts Rick, you are a great source of info, and it is all about not getting hurt or killed to kite another day.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NJKite on 2003-01-23 08:18 ]</font>

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:49 am

I did not know this was still a topic.

IMO above shackle should be banned from kitesurfing !

Even in yacthing, there are many who changes to the more expensive Wichard Schackle - because they have had their release stuck in critical mark roundings, and had to fumble a long time, before releasing (because of the load).

Even if one has been using this schackle for years - it says nothing.
You could just have been lucky that it opened, or the load has not been that high, OR - you haven't really used it (but just believes it will work)

Don't use these Shackles !!!

The Wichard and similar are so much better.
Velcro pins work very safe too. The Wipika pins could bend in 2001. This is why they have increased the diameter for 2002, so this wont happen.
And the Naish, Cabrinha, Flysurfer, in fact most other brands "loop" or "line" openers work well too.

swancvs
Medium Poster

Postby swancvs » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:07 am

I bought one of these snap hooks when I first started and was very proud of myself for being so safe.

After a few very nasty flights that I didn't ask for and inability to release the loop I have now come across a different system that works every time. Someone on this group has told me if I send them a pic of it he'll help me post it online. So bear with me and I'll post it.

I often ride in hairy conditions by my standards and this system has yet to fail.

Those snapshackles shoul be banned. Too many options for system failure. Not what you look for in a life or death safety device!

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:16 am

I totaly agree with Peter on this. BAN THEM>

I was out 4 km off shore in Corsica and one of those side releaes pins pulled out on me. The whole pin. Twas a good one too, cant remember the make but paid top dollar for it.

I was left totaly stranded by the thing. had a boat rescue.

DONT USE EM.

Kiterich
Medium Poster

Postby Kiterich » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:59 am

There is no substitute for the Witchard 2673. I will release under load unlike the side relase. The Tylasker shackles are good but really need a fid to operate - out of the question with a kite. I had a few nasty drags with the side release and luckily realised before anything serious happened that the side release should be relegated. I now use a small side release on my kite leash - when the kite is on the leash it is not under as much tension as flying and will release ok in 99% of circumstances. For the other 1% i have a Wipika velcro release further up the leash. DO NOT use them for anything else.

Szymon
Rare Poster

Postby Szymon » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:28 am

Witchard 2673 ??? What is this??

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:49 am

On 2003-01-23 11:28, Szymon wrote:
Witchard 2673 ??? What is this??

Please see page three of:

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=5202&forum=1&start=30

for more information on Wichard snap shackles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2003-01-23 11:54 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”