Auckland Accident

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:14 pm

I came across the following kitesurfing accident account in another forum,(see below), from Auckland, New Zealand. I was hoping to obtain more details regarding the cause of the accident, kite size, winds, rider experience level, etc. for the accident database. If anyone has some information to add to this account it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick Iossi

This is an accident that involved a new twist to the board leash question, so here it is for consideration. Co-worker of mine, riding with ambulance staff in Auckland New Zealand responded to kite board accident. From report, guy got lifted and carried about 100ft before impacting ground. Sounds like the kite tomahawked with him in tow. There was a visible impact mark where he hit. To make matters worse, the guy's board (leashed) followed him to impact and struck him in the head (helmet-less) resulting in likely skull fracture. His other obvious injuries were mandibular (jaw) and peri-orbital (around eye) fractures and others.

Another argument for board leash=helmet perhaps?

enzo
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby enzo » Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:44 pm

In my opinion and after watching and reading about a number of accidents involving boards,leashes and broken skulls there is no question:
-IF YOU USE A BOARD LEASH YOU MUST WEAR A HELMET-
if you don't follow this rule you are likely to eventually get hit. I'm saying this also because I did get hit too and I wore a helmet ever after until I eventually I stopped using a leash. But before you do you do that you need to be able to kite back to your board using the proper tecnique.
be safe,enzo

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:07 am

I agree, if you use a leash you have to wear a helmet.
I stopped using a leash when my board flew headhigh towards me and luckily missed me.
Also when I did tricks and the leash got stucked in the steering lines.
And I never regreted it, I always managed to come back to my board, even in 5 degrees Celsius air, 4° water.
Maybe this should be an issue for the schools worldwide. They should teach the newbees how to get back to the board using the power of the kite and their body.

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:07 pm

what lotsa guys don't concider in the helmet - question:

on the one hand, your board could hit you hard and you'd be injured.

BUT:

it may be enough to get a good knock on the head (from the leashed board), that you feel a little dizzy for 2 seconds.

then you may come clear just in time to realize that you are hooked up to a freaked out kite which drags you straight towards an obstacle....

not nice, eh?

so, a helmet can prevent these two seconds and safe your life not by absorbing the crash but by preventing it....

highroller
Rare Poster

Postby highroller » Thu Feb 14, 2002 2:27 am

As a health care professional I don't see any reason why NOT to wear a helmet when unsing a board leash, especially in heavy surf. I use one. In fact, I'm the only one using one where I kite and it puzzles me when guys ask me why.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:23 am

Yes, the common lack of helmet use is a surprising. Then again, American football players went without helmets for years and no doubt for dozens of serious injuries or worse. I can't remember the last time I saw a football player bodily lifted and hurled 10 to 20 m horizontally through the air to a hard impact. Of course kitesurfers don't need helmets because they never have hard impacts!?

I seem to be one of the few guys (out of a few hundred riders), to wear a helmet regularly in my area. It saved my life over a year and a half ago. If I am kiting, even in lighter air and without a board leash, I wear it. Why tempt fate, in my case, twice?!

Rick Iossi

Flea
Rare Poster

Postby Flea » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:44 pm

Even if you don't use a leash, wear a lid. If nothing else, it keeps your head warm!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:09 am

I allways kite WITHOUT a leash (board leash) and WITH a helmet...

When powered up if you leave your board it can submarine in the water and anchor while the kite is pulling you real hard.... leash gets tight... you get stretched bigtime... watch that leash... it snaps and whips you on the ass... yow !!!!!!!

BLOWN AWAY

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:10 am

Regardless of a board leash, a helmet stops you from bursting your eardrums on impact.

BLOWN AWAY

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:51 am

Dude you're meant to land on yer board not yer head. HA. Anyone in Auckland know how the guy is doing or who it was etc?

Return to “Kitesurfing”