Auckland Accident

Forum for kitesurfers
macca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby macca » Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:47 pm

Recomend the no leash way after 6 stables to my head, helmet broke on impact !!!

Its suprising how good you become at body draging up wind, its a comfort thing, practice on a easy day with out the leash, you can do it :eek:)

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards

Postby chirojoseph » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:00 am

I have to agree with ArcPRof...if you just put a "weak link" in your reel leash system you will never get the "tombstone slingshot of death." We use old shoelace loop which connects the footstrap screw to a length of qline. The qline is about 1.5 feet long and connects to the bungee. that way the bungee is always up by your hip and the qline is what dangles down to the board (never causes the "auto pay out" of the webbing of the reel leash cause it has almost no friction through the water) and, if the board gets stuck in the water the qline easily ripps through the old shoelace.

i 100% agree that body dragging back to your board is one of the most important skills you can learn. But if the wind gets fluky and you drop the kite chances are you lost the board too. NOw, maybe it takes you 10 minutes to get your high aspect kite to flip over and form up plus all the swimming towards the kite you are doing plus getting pulled once it launches..Now, you are tired, the sun is setting, the afore mentioned fluky wind is getting flukier, you cant catch a glimpse of your board and even if you could your kite isnt going to pull you upwind very well at all.

Maybe that other guy has alot of disposable income but my pitbull board is NOT getting sacrificed to the ocean if I can help it.

I agree with Rick that the reel leash is probably the best answer we have right now, especially if you use a helmet and a "weak link" to avoid the leash developing too much tension. I also agree with the others who say that if you are riding powered up and lots of light you should disconnect the leash and suck it up and body drag back to your board.

Its great to philosophize about the downfalls of the leash but the above mentioned scenario happens all to often at our beach. We have already had 2 guys lose their boards (600 bucks apiece) and even if you put a "reward" sticker on it with your name and number U probably will never see it again.

We got the tools, we got the talent...adapting your equipment and learning from the group is what this is all about.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:55 am

There are obviously solutions to both problems and this forum is a great place to learn new ways and post new ways... it can only get better as new technology is being invented...

BLOWN AWAY

pitlisa
Frequent Poster

Postby pitlisa » Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:53 pm

I bought a reel leash at flysurf.com, but after my first crash, the line was in two pieces. Maybe it was good for my head but not for my money, those things are too expensive. I'll never buy one again.
My future: NO LEASH

FITZI
Rare Poster

Postby FITZI » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:23 pm

ARE THERE SPECIFIC KITESURF HELMETS? IF SO, WHATS THE BEST MAKE/FEATURES TO LOOK FOR?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:39 pm

There aren't many helmets built for kiteboarding at present. I understand that several may be in development currently however, great news!

Some ideas to think over in your search process appear at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/ ... EFERENCES/

under:

1b. Safety Gear Ideas
Discussion of safety gear for kiteboarding

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Re:

Postby RickI » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:50 pm

I was just going over some of the changes on the Kiteforum website and ended up in the User Control Panel and out of curiosity checked out my first post quoted below. There were other posts but made as a Guest prior to that time. The first one dealt with a serious lofting in Auckland, NZ and the use of board leashes while kiting. We talked about use of board leashes for many years before they started to fall out of favor. There were many board leash related accidents in that time and since including some fatalities. A lot fewer folks use board leashes these days and hopefully with better awareness of possible consequences. The resulting KSI account (see below) was short, likely due to the limited information which came out about the accident.

Anyway, thanks to Toby and all the contributors on here over the years for helping to bring the sport along and providing insight, food for thought and constructive entertainment along the way.
RickI wrote:I came across the following kitesurfing accident account in another forum,(see below), from Auckland, New Zealand. I was hoping to obtain more details regarding the cause of the accident, kite size, winds, rider experience level, etc. for the accident database. If anyone has some information to add to this account it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick Iossi

This is an accident that involved a new twist to the board leash question, so here it is for consideration. Co-worker of mine, riding with ambulance staff in Auckland New Zealand responded to kite board accident. From report, guy got lifted and carried about 100ft before impacting ground. Sounds like the kite tomahawked with him in tow. There was a visible impact mark where he hit. To make matters worse, the guy's board (leashed) followed him to impact and struck him in the head (helmet-less) resulting in likely skull fracture. His other obvious injuries were mandibular (jaw) and peri-orbital (around eye) fractures and others.

Another argument for board leash=helmet perhaps?
and the resulting KSI account:

"25. Incident # 2 02 5 "Serious Auckland Lofting" Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Date: Feb. 2002 Participant account included: No Number of independent accounts: 1
Summary
A rider of undisclosed skill, with unspecified gear and wind was apparently violently lofted, reportedly 100 ft. into a violent impact on land where he left a visible mark.
His board rebounded into his head, possibly fracturing it. His jaw and eye socket area were both fractured. He was not wearing a helmet.
Lessons learned
Very few actual facts are known about this accident. All that seems to be evident is that the rider was violently lofted and wasn’t wearing a helmet. All the normal awareness and careful precautions to avoid lofting must be observed to cut down of avoidable lofting incidents.
The rider may have been injured less by wearing a helmet to protect him from both board impact and possibly impact with the ground.
Commentary
It is possible that the vast majority of loftings may be avoidable with proper education and practice. The injuries may have been less if the rider wasn’t using a leash or was using a reel leash. A helmet may have made a significant difference in the injuries sustained. An impact vest may have also provided useful protection."

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Auckland Accident

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Luckily nowadays you barely see any normal board leashes. Few roll leashes.

If you see anyone with a normal leash, makes urentonmake them aware of danger.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:33 pm

Board leashes have their place. Anybody who says otherwise hasn't experienced the right (wrong) situation (yet). I only leash my board temporarily, and not while my kite is in the air. I use it if the wind dies out enough that I can't keep my kite in the air. Not needing to deal with a loose board while I wrap up my lines is really convenient. I don't use a reel leash. I just use an old, long kite leash that I clip to my board with a cheap plastic clip (weak link). I used to use a reel leash while kiting, but always wore a helmet and replaced the heavy brass clip with a plastic one as a weak link. I never had a problem, and don't think I would. I just prefer not dealing with a leash now.

Don

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:08 am

True Don, there are times when leashes have their place particularly in the case you detailed. I almost tried to rig one up up recently to try to avoid losing a board but opted to ditch the board less I lose myself along with it during the attempt. I have used them on long distance races and in roundwinders into areas of adverse current. Each time I have used a weak link as well and assumed that I had a higher chance of messing myself up for the choice to use a leash. Some guys use them in large waves too.

The problem is way too many people, myself included in this in 1999 to 2000, use a board leash because they are lazy. Or, they weren't taught how to kite properly, assuming they had an instructor, in the first place. It is this last group who has the least "good" reason to put themselves at risk using a leash. Some instructors like them when there is no good reason for it, for the same reason, they are lazy and don't care about their students ultimate welfare.

Return to “Kitesurfing”